Padi Fees

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Whilst it varies by region, the cost of certs is often bundled with the cost of the associated manual. Typically, dive centers get an account 'credit', or paper application form, to process a PIC with each course manual they buy.

You have to sell a manual with each course... So it keeps that initial cost down. Standalone credits are less economical to purchase.

Maybe some shops are 'separating' the cost of manual and c-card fee? To give some impression of 'added value'??

Or perhaps some shops are adding a 'processing' surcharge to the cost of replacement cards.... if they're the ones ordering it for you.

Shops are, after all, permitted to resale PADI products (manuals, certifications etc) at whatever price they deem fit. It makes sense that this cost should cover staff processing time, shipping (manuals, certification processing envelops etc), and the need for capital to be invested in stock.
Where I work, if I want a new cert my cost is only processing and I use books left by other students.

Where I work, if I want a new cert my cost is only processing and I use books left by other students.

That's strictly against PADI standards... and QA action would be taken for doing it.

PADI members, shops and instructors, must sell the appropriate manual to accompany the course delivered

Loaning manuals is basically fraud and breach of contract against PADI.

It's probably one unethical issue that necessitates PADI charging more for their products....to the disadvantage of other, more moral, dive centers and the end consumer... the student.

That's strictly against PADI standards... and QA action would be taken for doing it.

PADI members, shops and instructors, must sell the appropriate manual to accompany the course delivered

It's probably one unethical issue that necessitates PADI charging more for their products....to the disadvantage of other, more moral, dive centers and the end consumer... the student.

I think it is possible that to reduce liability and exposure that students are required to own a personal copy of manuals so they have the information to reference in future and refresh themselves.

I think it is possible that to reduce liability and exposure that students are required to own a personal copy of manuals so they have the information to reference in future and refresh themselves.

PADI is basically a publishing company in how it derives it's revenue. It creates demand for what it publishes... materials and certifications... by writing courses. It sells both (course syllabus and materials) to it's member instructors and centers. They, in turn, sell them to students... in conjunction with physical training.

Not selling a manual with a course is a breach of that supplier relationship from PADI. Given copyright issues and contracts of sale and membership..its also dishonest and potentially litigious behaviour.

If you want to know what drives PADI costs up... look no further...

All true I'm sure, but that's not the point though. The point is that if PADI charges X for a new cert, X times 2 for a replacement card is going to sit well with people.

Where are you getting your prices from?

And, to be honest, the issue of unscrupulous dive centers defrauding PADI and driving up product costs is very much relevant to this thread...

Most shops "do PADI"
So a non-PADI shop can go online and look up PADI certs.? For security reasons that is hard to believe, but I'll take your word.

You are getting the cert at cost, not MSRP.

All true I'm sure, but that's not the point though. The point is that if PADI charges X for a new cert, X times 2 for a replacement card is going to sit well with people.
Twice the cost is quite common in the Scuba business, for equipment, for example.
Where are you getting your prices from?
The PADI Member price for a cert card is $22; the MSRP is $44. No surprise, not outrageous. It is more than that for a NAUI replacement card (see one of the post above) and a few dollars less for SDI/TDI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom