PADI Dry Suit Instruction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AKmountaineer

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to diving and I'm having a great time, but after my last cold trip in Monterey, I decided that being warm and dry would make the experience much more pleasant. I went out and bought a dry suit (Bare Supra 7mm), but then I found out that technically I'm supposed to take a Dry suit class consisting of a recommended 24 hours of instruction (PADI). Is there really that much to say about diving dry? Is the course really necessary, or can I learn from reading a book and/ or practicing?

Thanks.

It's not required that you have instruction, but it's probably a very good idea. There are issues with drysuits that of course you don't have with wetsuits. At the very least, try it out in a pool and preferably with an instructor or someone experienced with drysuits present. But the course is probably a good idea too. And I don't think it's 24 hours of instruction. That's a little overkill.

A course is a good idea, but PADI's is NOT a 24 hour course, unless you read really slowly and it takes you that long to read the book and watch the video :wink:. After the book stuff, it's 2 dives in open water. Some, but not all, instructors do a pool orientation as well.
After the class - you should consider getting together with an experienced dry suit diver buddy and practice using the suit for warmth and your BC for buoyancy :wink:

For AK Mountaineer:
For what it's worth, I was not able to take the course where I live due to language barrier (North Japan). I got the PADI book and video, and read other sources as well. Many manufacturer's sites also have great info regarding drysuit use (DUI for example). I ended up watching teh video and reading varios sources for about a month before I actually used the suit, so I felt as knowledgeable as I could be without actually having used a drysuit.

My first couple dives, I happend to be with two friends that are divemasters. We took it slow so I could suss out my boyancy at the start of the dive. Within 10 to 15 minutes, I felt good enough to exit experimentation mode and continue with the routine dive. If I had access to a pool, I would definitely have used that as a starting point.

JAG

I don't know but does it really need a course to wear it?? Is it that hard?? All I think that it is just a suit.

Hi gehadoski
THere is quite a bit of difference with a drysuit. I've only dove about 50 dives with mine and I have to say I'm just approacing teh comfort level I dive with regular wetsuit. The difference is that it is essentially another BC vest because you fill it with air. That air contracts and expands depending upon depth, while you try to keep a static amount of air (a minimal amount of air to give insulation and eliminate suit squeeze). Just like the BC, you have to be aware that air will expand as you surface and you have to keep your venting under control, different suits have different types of outlet valves.

Then, there is proper fit and maintanence of the wrist and neck seals to make sure you keep dry. Care of the suit. There is a whole world of difference. You can pick up quite a lot from forums like this one.

JAG

My experience (as an instructor): you do NOT need the course.

You DO need to buddy up with an experienced dry suit buddy and practice, practice, practice.

Oh yes, don't forget to practice.

steven

Just finished the PADI course. It ain't 24 hours. It is reading the book, doing the reviews and 2 dives.

No it isn't required to dive a dry suit. But I chose to because it accelerated the learning curve. Plus, the book and video are good information sources. Plus, I travel a lot and the cert card will make it easier to rent if the occasion arises.

I echo Snowbear. After the class get with a good buddy and play in the suit.

AKmountaineer:
I'm fairly new to diving and I'm having a great time, but after my last cold trip in Monterey, I decided that being warm and dry would make the experience much more pleasant. I went out and bought a dry suit (Bare Supra 7mm), but then I found out that technically I'm supposed to take a Dry suit class consisting of a recommended 24 hours of instruction (PADI). Is there really that much to say about diving dry? Is the course really necessary, or can I learn from reading a book and/ or practicing?

A drysuit course from an acredited Instructor is a good idea. It will help you learn how to safely and properly use the suit.

Then just go out & dive as often as you can with it to keep the learning process going. :thumb:

I took a course when I first bought a drysuit and I found it very helpful. My first dives were in the pool then two ocean dives. It will definitely speed up the learning and comfort with suit use.

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom