PADI Dry Suit Instruction?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I read the SSI drysuit manual (little to nothing I didn't already know), then went to the local lake and did a few dives with my buddies in 30 or so feet of water. After a couple, I got used to it, and that was that. I'm not recommending you do this, as I do not want to be responsible if you do and hurt yourself

I bought the Hammerhead Press drysuit book and read it, then "rented" an instructor for a day through my LDS. Some of the local dive boats to the Channel Islands will comp the boat trip for an instructor with students, so my only other cost was my boat trip. It was worth every penny to do 3 ocean dives in the suit with an instructor...and I didn't have to watch PADI's mind-numbing video! :)

YMMV but I found the Hammerhead Press Drysuit book/DVD to be basically a tutorial on the different types of drysuits that are available and how to don/doff the suit - nothing your manual wouldn't cover. As far as "drysuit diving instruction", I felt it was fairly general and there wasn't anything in the publication that I wouldn't have learned from reading threads on this board. The fact that Dick Long is associated with it and just about all the gear is either DUI or DC also make it feel like a subliminal advertisement for their products :) (not that there's anything wrong with that :wink:)

there is a dry suit orientation available in the swimming pool first. this is highly recommended as you really don't want to get stuck feet up in a bouyant ascent.
if you wanted to become a dry suit specialty diver than you would need to add 2 o.w. dives as well.
good luck and stay warm.

The course would be a whole lot 'less necessary' if people would teach using the BC for buoyancy and the suit for warmth. With less of a bubble in your suit, you don't have as many issues re: floaty feet, runaway ascents, etc.

Boogie711:
The course would be a whole lot 'less necessary' if people would teach using the BC for buoyancy and the suit for warmth. With less of a bubble in your suit, you don't have as many issues re: floaty feet, runaway ascents, etc.

Just did my first drysuit dive yesterday, and the above is the advice I was given by the buddy helping me. It goes against what PADI directs, but it seems to me to make more sense, and the dry divers I've been talking to all say the same. I've been doing a ton of reading up on drysuit use, and pestering everyone I saw in a drysuit, and I think that, combined with a bunch of dives with a drysuit knowledgeable diver, this is more help than the course. Just my $0.02.

Matt.

I just got my drysuit cert today. The course was helpful, but not necessary IF you have a deep pool to practice in AND/OR a buddy willing to take the time to teach you. Me having neither of the above, the course was almost a necessity.

Using the bc for bouancy and suit for warmth is ideal but does increase task loading on the new drysuit diver. BUT, this is one of those subjects that definitely qualifies as "beat to death" and not really worth going into. Have fun.

You Didn't mention what courses You have already done. If You ask Your instructor could You do Your next Course in a Dry suit they shouldn't have a problem with it. I did My PADI AOW in November off the west coast of Ireland, so a Dry suit was our only option it only took about an hour at 6 to 8 meters to get used to the basics. The PADI Dry suit 'speciallity' dive Course is two to four enjoyable Dives with an instructor to show You the sites.

Thanks everybody for your input! I just went out and started diving with it - it was a piece of cake for me, no problems!

You really should take the drysuit course before using your suit - I've heard about some recent cases here where people have been treated for DCS after having had runaway ascents with a drysuit. A drysuit is like anything in diving - you'll probably have it all figured out in 20 dives by yourself, or else you can do 2 training dives with an instructor and cover the same stuff with less risk.

Back
Top Bottom