PADI AOW Junior Certification question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BigJimDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My 14 year old son will be taking the PADI AOW class on an upcoming liveaboard trip. They suggested he read through the material before we go so he'll be somewhat up to speed and can focus more on the skill work, and not have to burn as much of his surface intervals reading while on the trip (5 dives a day, S.I.'s are somewhat short). After checking on PADI's website I am not totally clear on which 5 specialties he should do; it seems Nav and Deep were (or still are?) required, with 3 other electives; the other 3 will likely be boat, drift, and night (since we did this trip last year he already has some good experience in these). Problem is that as a Jr., he's limited on depth until he turns 15, so does he still do everything for deep, but just not actually dive deep? Or does he just pick any 5?

A 60 foot dive is considered deep for training purposes. Padi standards alow 12-14 year old junior divers to a max depth of 70 feet. So he can do his deep dive and get a Junior AOW, he just needs to stay above 70 feet.

Deep and Navigation are required. The other three he can pick.

The Advanced Open Water course is a series of 5 dives, two of which must be UW Navigation and Deep. As a Junior Open Water diver, 12-14, doing the AOW class, he will be limited to a depth of not greater than 21M/70 feet. A "Deep Dive" is any dive greater than 60 feet so he will be able to do a "Deep Dive" of greater than 60 feet but no greater than 70 feet and thus will get his Junior AOW Card.

As to what the other three dives will be, you are probably correct that they will be a Drift Dive, Boat Dive and a Night Dive, all of which will probably be above 60 feet.

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom