PADI and the others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What I wanted to point out, is that after doing the Rescue Diver course, you are by no means ready to really rescue someone. You know that some DC offer the Rescue Diver in one single day. What can you learn in one day. Of course it is the DC who does something wrong by offering to make it in 1 day, but PADI does not check/verify the quality enough.
Result is that you have certified Advanced Divers who can't dive safe without having a DM (underwater nurse) near all the time. (just recalling my last buddy....could not clear the mask and on the second dive he put an ear-plug in his ear and we had to ascent and cancel the dive because he got pain at 10 meter. That are the things which make me question the PADI teaching)
I don't know if the others are different. At least in Pattaya you can get many colorful PADI certificates even with a dangerous lack of knowledge.
Yes the practical things for the Rescue Diver are good, no question.

Well,what can I say?

I believe that if a person had a well-taught RQ course and keeps practicing his/her RQ skills that he/she will be well prepared for a diving emergency situation. No; they will not have the same skills as "professional (Navy/Police) RQ divers" but they will be able to offer help to an injured diver or a diver in distress. They will be able to do something and not just look and watch.

RQ courses can not be taught in one single day. I don't know any DC that offers one day RQ courses. If you do know such DC's than you should notify PADI and believe me; they will check on that.

PADI or any other certifying agencies for that matter are not the police. They need input from their members and students to be able to sort out individuals or DC's that bend the rules.

SSi Stress and Rescue tackles a lot of the shortcomings of the Padi Rescue Diver course. I think again it comes down to the instructor and not the certifying agency.

Case in point : Technical Rescue Course Completion | Big Blue Tech News where we've taken all the basics of the Padi Rescue Course and added an additional day for more in water practice and skills. In the end you have a more comfortable and reliable rescue diver.

I agree, it is not the agency but the instructor that makes or breaks a course. As Bowmouth stated in which I completely agree:

"I don't know any DC that offers one day RQ courses. If you do know such DC's than you should notify PADI and believe me; they will check on that."

where we've taken all the basics of the Padi Rescue Course and added an additional day for more in water practice and skills.
That's good, you have added a day to a course where there is no time limit?
IMO, a good rescue course takes 3 days (not including EFR).

That's good, you have added a day to a course where there is no time limit?
IMO, a good rescue course takes 3 days (not including EFR).

I don't think EFR should be included in anything. It's great for saving grandma, crap for anyone else. But i have seen medics teach the EFR course and then it's quite a good course.

But 3 days in the water makes a big difference, time providing. A lot of the Divemaster Interns learn from assisting on it too.

After reading all this I can only come to one conclusion: h90, you really have no idea what you are talking about.
That's what makes a horse race ... I think h90 is pretty much right on the money.

A lot of the Divemaster Interns learn from assisting on it too.

I strongly believe that when teaching a RQ diver course besides the certifying Instructor a "victim/patient/extra diver role model" should always be assisting the certifying Instructor for all in-water training modules and be RQ Diver certified or higher.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom