PADI and the others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

h90

Contributor
Reaction score
I was at a dive center in Pattaya and the owner told me that as (I think 5 Star dive center, but I am not sure that he told 5 Star dive center) PADI dive center he is not allowed (from PADI I think) to teach for other Agencies like CMAS.

We had a chat about that in Thailand there is mostly PADI when he told that.
Is that true? Is that new? I think I saw webpages in the past which offered different certifications, but I never paid attention to it so I might remember that wrong.

PADI 5-Star shops and resorts are limited to offering only PADI recreational courses.

Now, that doesn't restrict them from completing certifications for travelling divers with referrals from other agencies. Nor does it restrict them in the Tech world (for now, at least).

This is part of the agreement to accept that level of designation for the resort/dive shop.

It would seem that its often one rule for one and one for another.

There are plenty of PADI IDC stores that offer BSAC or CMAS , and if PADI want to hang on to there business they even allow SSI.

Unfortunately it seems that PADI will often use the can only be us ! as a tool to limit the business potential of a dive store in their own self interest of keeping market share.

However if the store stands up to them they can often offer both by simply playing with dive store name for eg.

I do not know any other service industry that allows suppliers to dictate to their customers in this manner.

It would seem that its often one rule for one and one for another.

There are plenty of PADI IDC stores that offer BSAC or CMAS , and if PADI want to hang on to there business they even allow SSI.

Unfortunately it seems that PADI will often use the can only be us ! as a tool to limit the business potential of a dive store in their own self interest of keeping market share.

However if the store stands up to them they can often offer both by simply playing with dive store name for eg.

I do not know any other service industry that allows suppliers to dictate to their customers in this manner.

Well common: Microsoft pressured Computer shops not to sell other OS. Intel pressured shops (even Dell) not to use AMD.

Former sealing (hydraulic seals) company I worked for forced the producer in ONLY using their material, else they don't sell them any at all.
My current company has a contract which only allows to use material from one supplier.

It seems to happen everywhere one company has 90% of the market and wants to get rid of the last 10 % competition.

They will also need other training facilities (specifically: classroom) for both agencies.

Hahaha in a PADI classroom CMAS can't be taught!
Nothing against being commercial, but that's dictatorship.

Nothing against being commercial, but that's dictatorship.
The DC has the choice: either 5 star or higher and if they want to teach other than PADI: seperate the courses, or accept a lower ranking than 5 star and teach whatever you feel like.

Generally speaking as a BSAC diver I have found that most Padi shops will not recognise other agencies training. Whereas BSAC will recognise other agencies training and bring in new members on a comparable level within their system.
Recently a friend of mine who is a BSAC diver was told by a shop in Pattaya Thailand that this qualification was not recognised and he would need to do a scuba review or a PADI open water course before he could go diving. This is absolute nonsence because he has training equivelant to Padi rescue level or above and in excess of 200 logged dives.
I am not sure if this is PADI policy or just the individual shop concerned.
I must add that in my experience BSAC training is more thorough than PADI training and in my many years of working as a dive leader have never seen a BSAC diver who is incapable of setting up his own equipment, but have experienced this with numerous PADI 'advanced' divers.

I must add that in my experience BSAC training is more thorough than PADI training and in my many years of working as a dive leader have never seen a BSAC diver who is incapable of setting up his own equipment, but have experienced this with numerous PADI 'advanced' divers.

Lord Khram,

PADI standards are pretty good I think but it's individuals who bend the rules and certify divers who shouldn't have been certified (yet). Unfortunately do Dive Shop owners also often contribute to the problem and "force" their Instructors to start and finish a course in minimal time.

Every training agency has good and not so good Instructors (including BSAC, NAUI, CMAS, SSI etc.) but because PADI is the biggest training agency in the world and has most Instructors it also carries the burden of having a fair amount of not so good Instructors.

Back
Top Bottom