Packing For the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hydroslyder

Registered
Reaction score
My father and I are flying down to the florida keys in about 2 months, and I was wondering what the best way to pack our gear was. I was wondering what gear should we put in our checked luggage, and what should we carry on, and is it worth it to carry our own weights, or should we just rent them when we get there.

I figured I would carry on my regulator, computer, and mask at least, is there anything else I should bring.

Also are there any small things that come in handy on trips like this that most people forget.

Thanks for the help.

Forget taking weights. Most keys charters include tanks and weights for the dive trips. Some don't, but their rental fees are low, and Overweight chargers for luggage start at $25. You might take a couple of 1 pounders each for fine tuning.

I agree on carrying "regulator, computer, and mask" as you want to be sure you have yours, even if your baggage is delayed and you have to rent other gear. Also carry any cameras. You can reivew pasenger suggestions on TSA's site for dos & don'ts: http://www.tsa.gov/public/

Dress is pretty casual in The Keys, so dry clothes will be easy. Take batteries out of lights, as they weigh, and encourage damage to the lights, and you can buy them cheaply there. Put your wet suits on top of everything else so they're not mashed.

There's a K-Mart in Key Largo for whatever you forget, a big Water World/Divers Direct dive store a few miles further down the road - with a Grocery and Dollar Store in the same center. I pack 1 and 2 quart plastic jugs, as they're light, and buy juices to take on the boat. You really want to work at hydrating, as you'll sweat some topside but not notice it in the wind, and dehydration a the big threat when diving.

Your Profile lists AOW, but not Nitrox. You know that you get 50% more bottom time on the wrecks with Nitrox. You can dive the Grove and the Duane out of Key Largo, the Bibb (be careful!) and the Eagle out of Taverneir, the Thunderbolt out of Marothon, and the A.Busch from the lower keys. All super dives! Have a blast!

Thanks Don for the quick reply and good info.

I have a second question, the second half of our trip is dedicated to diving, but during the first 3 days, we dont have anything planned. We are however going to go offshore fishing one of the days. What other cool things are there to do in the keys other than diving.

Thanks again

How long ard y'all going to be in Southern Florida, and - what sort of things do y'all enjoy...?

There's thousands of attractions and interests in the Miami area, but most don't appeal to me; different strokes for different folks.

I think The Keys are wonderful, but again - all sorts of things. 7 Mile Bridge is a marvel for such an area, for example. Fishing & Diving are the big deals there, of course. Maybe review this: http://www.fla-keys.com/

We are going to be there for 8 days. Our local dive shop runs trips to the tavernier key a couple times a year, and we are going to fly ahead early to get in some fishing at least. We are flying into Ft. Lauderdale, then driving down to tavernier, but can stay anywhere before our LDS gets there. We will have 4 free days to do whatever we want which may or may not include diving. However we are definitely going fishing. The last four days of the trip are dedicated to diving.

Okay - Diving and Fishing are always possibilities in The Keys, but since you're an accomplished Sail Boater, you might look into renting a boat to sail around the Bay Bay waters. Be careful to get local instructions on shallow, grassy areas and other sensitive areas. I know you wouldn't want to damage the ecology, nor get hit with a stiff fine.

Did you look over that link yet? Click here: http://www.fla-keys.com/ for lots of local info and ideas.

It's only a 2 hour drive from FLL airport to Key Largo, then 2-3 more to Key Largo. You might get located at your hotel on the first day, explore Taverneir and Key Largo - then the next morning set out for Key West. If you haven't before, you gotta' see the suset from the square there. The humidity of the Gulf gives it an impressive illussion that I won't spoil by trying to describe, and the local street entertainers are a hoot, too.

There's lot of Swim With Dolphin centers in the Keys; Robbies takes tourists to Indian Key; there's miniture White Tail Deer the size of medium dogs on Big Pine, and so forth. How about looking at that site, and narrow your questions down.

Where are y'all staying at Taverneir, and who are you diving with...?

Thanks

That website has some great info

We are staying at the Tropic Vista Motel, and diving with the Upper Keys Dive Center.

The sailing sounds awesome good idea, I was also thinking jet skis. I might try to rent a bike and do some trail riding in one of the local parks if that is possible.

I know that we are definitely diving the Spiegel Grove, and the Duane, and some reefs, what are some other dives that we shouldn't miss.

We are also planning to stay 1 or 2 nights in key west, does anybody have any recomendations on good hotels/motels in the key west to stay at.

Thanks again for the info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom