PacketSniffer - Richard Mork Passes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One guy who loss if felt by many. I don't know of anyone who met him who didn't have something kind to say about him.
Shocked to hear of his passing.

He always had a kind word or one of encouragement to share.

Packie my friend.. I will miss you... hope you have found an endless cave to dive and explore.

Amazing...the power of the internet and the WWW...
We are able to have friends all over the world and Richard did...
He came out to the PNW for a dive weekend, went skiing and hung out with all of us...
Great guy!!!
RIP
K

I just got the news this morning. I met Richard in Doha, Qatar in 2005. He happened to be thinking about getting certified, and so was i. So we decided to do it together (along with a colleague of mine).

We did the PADI training there, and Richard was really eager. We went on a scubatrip to Oman for a weekend and we did a lot of diving down south in Qatar.

He was always full of energy, and dragged me out of bed at 6 in the morning, although he had been nightdiving the night before. I have never met anyone with so much energy, let alone so much enthusiasm. Eventually he moved back to Houston, and I moved back to Norway, but we stayed in touch every now and then, and he sent me links to his photos and underwater films.

I was really sad hear the news this morning, and I can only find comfort in knowing that he really loved diving and would probably have ended up doing it full time.

I never met his family, but he spoke often of his kids, and we talked about going diving in Texas whever a chance came up. Unfortunately that chance will never come.

Rest in peace, Richard!

- Siggen

It has been very comforting sharing stories with friends about Richard.
This is a very sad time but, he had such a great life full of friends and laughter.
Lets remember and share some more of those times.

One time, I shared with him how I had watched a friend hovering over the reef in Boynton Beach. The friend dropped down, stuck his hand in the reef, wiggled around, and pulled out a fat lobster. He said that was cool but, not a whole lot else. The next thing I know, the Dry Tortuga trip happens and Richard has been wrangling lobsters the whole trip. I cracked up when I heard. He was always excited to try something new and fun!

Last edited:
Spending a week in Roatan with Packet on our boat was a total blast (Yellow Boat ROCKS!!). From the first days when he had to borrow Pue's wetsuit and using a stage bottle reg with the SPG in his ear to later in the week watching him do his best white man's dance. He went on a night dive with us and was exceptionally patient and understanding about me being a chicken-xxxx. He will be fondly remembered.

I sent the following email out to my dive buddies yesterday when I heard about it...

Richard Mork died today at Jackson Blue Springs in Marianna, FL. I do not know details, I just know he was doing something he loved at the time of his death. Thats something I think we can all appreciate I think. Richard(packetsniffer on the internet forums) truly enjoyed cavediving, and everything to go along with it. He was adventuresome in that he was always willing to explore, even if it meant a wasted trip not finding anything, or lots of hard work. He's dived many of the caves in FL from Eagles Nest, to several of the deep holes in Wakulla County, to the many caves within Marianna and surrounding areas.

I think the last time we hung out, was out at Morrison Springs after a weekend of diving in Marianna. We got lost in the woods searching for a supposed backdoor into the Morrison Cave system. This backdoor has not been verified, nor was our information by any means reliable. We infact didn't find anything on this trip, albeit learned a bit(always bring GPS, compass, and good shoes). Finding nothing, Richard spearheaded several email conversations to go back and try at finding this hole again, with some more, unreliable, information that we had gained from our first attempt. He was just that kinda person. God, I truly wish we could have tried it again.

Here's a picture Richard took with his camera(on timer and propped on a tree) from our stroll through the woods

DSC00248_.JPG

We were lost, tired, dirty, and most importantly happy. I'm gonna miss my friend.

Mathew Bull

SuPrBuGmAn

I still giggle thinking about that excursion with the bugs, screams from walking into spiderwebs, walking in muck in sandals and walking in circles wondering if we'd ever make it back to our cars.

I ran in to Richard periodically while gearing up for dives at Jackson Blue or waiting for our tanks to fill as we were both regulars of that site. He was a very pleasant and friendly person and I enjoyed chatting with him. He was so excited about going back to Morrison; its too bad we never made it back.

Godspeed Richard, I hope the water is crystal clear up there.

I had the pleasure of meeting and diving with Richard a couple of years ago in North carolina. What a great guy with that infectious smile. We'll miss you dearly Richard!
Richard%20Mork.jpg

I am just in shock, I have just learned of this news, I was in TN without internet for about a week and come home to hear that such a great person has passed. I have dove with Richard on several occasions, one of those being the 1st ZD picnic where he had just gotten his underwater mp3 player. We had lots of fun in Twin Lakes with the blue gill that just could not figure out where the noise was coming from, they were so interested in the earphones. And we were soon summoned as the rain had turned from light to crazy, and we never knew anything was going on above!! Just a peaceful Sunday dive after a wonderful weekend with friends!

Richard, You will be greatly missed by all of us, you were a wonderful dive buddy, teacher, friend, and loved one to many!! I can only pray you had a peaceful exit from this world! You will never be forgotten!!!

I wish to express my dearest heartfelt condolences to his family, friends and acquaintances !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom