Pace of Cave Diving Instructional Progress

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if you guys were thinking that I was taking him into other caverns, or if you guys feel like many, that no cavern is "OW safe." I'm tending to think the latter. But if that's the case, then we are at divergent philosophy, and all I can do is tell you that we do everything we can do to minimize failure, problem, or accident when we are in those bodies of water. Not everything can be accounted for, but we can at least try to minimize it.

Tao, I am a know-nothing wannabe cave diver, and have been following this thread with keen interest. I see what you write . . . but above, you wrote:

His first time in a tight crawl in Devils Den, and his eyes were wide with amazement, and I knew that the cave bug had bit him . . .

And I don't care what agency manual you read, you have just defined a major restriction which is allowed only after Full Cave.

Cavers, please feel free to throw the BS flag if I am off-base.

Tao, I really wish you would heed the advice being offered to you. Without Proper training you are taking too many risks. You are risking your sons safety diving beyond your training. You think you know how to do it safely but I have my doubts. Having proper gear and training in the overhead is paramount. I appreciate your enthusiasm, I really do. You mentioned in the Ben McDaniel's incident he was in over his head, poorly trained, and in an environment he had no business in. How is this any different than you and your son. No matter how good your son is, at his age and certification level he is not mentally prepared to make these dives. You say you don't go places your not allowed, Where are these caverns that allow non certified divers to enter?

@ TreyR & Superlyte27 - We dive strictly Devils Den, Blue Grotto, and Ginnie Springs (Ballroom only). Those are what I am referencing when I say we only dive where we are allowed to dive. My intent is to get him as close to the environment we will be diving,as I can. As I said before, I know most hardcore cavers do not believe that there is anything such as an OW safe cavern or cenote. For the most part, I used to feel the same way, despite 90% of my dives being in Ginnie Springs. Hypocritical? Sure. But their rules suit my purposes, which is to get wet, dive caverns, and bide my time until I can follow the course progression like everybody else. I'm not doing anything that scores of cavern and cavers before me haven't done.

The key difference between a certain Vortex casualty and myself, is that he willingly went beyond barriers erected to keep him out, whether they were physical, or educational by using a copied key and/or digging past the fence. He thumbed his nose at conventional wisdom and training, and even training organizations. I want to follow the advice I'm being given as fervently as I possibly can. I want us to do what we are supposed to do, learn what we are supposed to learn be where we are supposed to be. I do not like the circumstance of having to wait for cavern class, but unfortunately, that is the circumstance of seeking more training at his age. My goal was to seek out Jim Wyatt before he turned 16 in order to arrange the cavern class. This was based on checking Jim's website, which states 16 is the age he will accept. Per your post Superlyte, you say 15, so I plan to contact Jim to see if his website needs updating. But in Jim's defense, thus far, in most of my checking "most" instructors seem to require 16. But I really am trying to adhere as close to conventional thinking and training as I can, with a sincere desire to do so. And for the record, I've asked my son to read this thread, even though I've asked him to stick to teen divers and New Divers. (My reasoning is to keep him from getting bad opinion disguised as knowledge.)

I don't know if you guys were thinking that I was taking him into other caverns, or if you guys feel like many, that no cavern is "OW safe." I'm tending to think the latter. But if that's the case, then we are at divergent philosophy, and all I can do is tell you that we do everything we can do to minimize failure, problem, or accident when we are in those bodies of water. Not everything can be accounted for, but we can at least try to minimize it.

---------- Post added May 13th, 2012 at 09:43 PM ----------

Tao, I am a know-nothing wannabe cave diver, and have been following this thread with keen interest. I see what you write . . . but above, you wrote:

And I don't care what agency manual you read, you have just defined a major restriction which is allowed only after Full Cave.

Cavers, please feel free to throw the BS flag if I am off-base.

It's a dead end restriction with overhead pass-throughs which allow ambient light from above to penetrate. It's not a major restriction. To my understanding, all of the major restrictions in Devils Den are gated off, and I've never encountered one in my dives there. Ambient light was visible no matter where I poked my head, which I readily tested by flipping my lights on and off to check. Apparently by some tones, I'm a dangerous , know nothing wannabe myself...

@ TreyR & Superlyte27 -Ambient light was visible no matter where I poked my head, which I readily tested by flipping my lights on and off to check. Apparently by some tones, I'm a dangerous , know nothing wannabe myself...

The NSS Cavern diving Manual states the following
"The underwater cave may be subdivideded into three zones based on light: 1) the direct-sunlight zone, 2)the ambient light zone, 3) the zone of total darkness. As a cavern diver, you are restricted to the direct-sunlight zone. ANYTHING BEYOND THAT IS A CAVE DIVE, and must be treated as such"

Tao, you are decsribing a CAVE DIVE by definition! You would know this if you had recieved training. Please stop explaining yourself and do what is right. Stay in open water.

Tao, will you be able to live with yourself if your son dies in this environment for which neither he nor you are properly trained?

Please - the accident analysis sources are very clear. Stop diving in overheads until you both are trained.

At least, please watch the videos here: http://chipoladivers.com/diving-the-freshwater-springs/

Tao, will you be able to live with yourself if your son dies in this environment for which neither he nor you are properly trained?
However tragic that may be, my concern would be what if the father becomes the statistic and this innocent, trusting adolescent is left with his father's death on his hands. It is a situation the son is neither physically nor mentally prepared for. The father is taking his son on trust me dives for which neither is prepared for.

Yes Tao you should know better than to venture into Devils Den, that giant submerged lake-cave that kills thousands per year!

Technically speaking that definition makes most of the ballroom a cave yet it's statistically relatively safe for OW divers.

I mean, all of those caverns have killed people, but really? I don't see the need to jump on Tao for diving the incredibly popular Florida caverns, caverns that safely house hundreds of fustercluck open water divers on any given weekend. They just aren't the major problem. Go back to yelling at the idiots doing blind jumps and trying to go to fancy new places without learning the cave.

With the proliferation of sidemount I think well see more deaths like Agnes. Lots of people pushing tight cave without much experience, and it's tight cave that's given me the majority of my few come to Jesus moments.

It's not Tao diving the cavern that I have problem with, it is his taking his adolescent son with him that i feel is a bad decision.

Leaving aside the question of whether anyone who has posted thus far on this thread thinks it is appropriate to dive in BG, Devil's Den, and/or Ginnie Ballroom....

Tao: If you are thinking of training with Jim Wyatt... have you considered speaking with him about what you are doing? I think it would be interesting to hear his perspective, as the potential future cave instructor, on these methods. Both about the experiences in the "safe" OH environments, as well as the skills "training" and drills that is going on. I am sure that Jim or any instructor someone was considering for the future would be happy to discuss their thoughts on appropriateness of preparation activities.

Last edited:
I work with Jim a lot. Unless something has changed, Jim doesn't teach cavern to minors. Give him a call and talk to him directly. I'll make sure he knows this thread is going.

Superlye, please let us know what Jim's take on this is (as if we didn't already know :) )

---------- Post added May 13th, 2012 at 11:28 PM ----------

Yes Tao you should know better than to venture into Devils Den, that giant submerged lake-cave that kills thousands per year!

Technically speaking that definition makes most of the ballroom a cave yet it's statistically relatively safe for OW divers.

I mean, all of those caverns have killed people, but really? I don't see the need to jump on Tao for diving the incredibly popular Florida caverns, caverns that safely house hundreds of fustercluck open water divers on any given weekend. They just aren't the major problem. Go back to yelling at the idiots doing blind jumps and trying to go to fancy new places without learning the cave.

With the proliferation of sidemount I think well see more deaths like Agnes. Lots of people pushing tight cave without much experience, and it's tight cave that's given me the majority of my few come to Jesus moments.

This mindset speaks to my original posting.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom