P-Valve plumbing size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I too just ordered a few of these parts. I went with 2' of the norprene tubing. I will be having the OMS valve installed in the next few days.

All in all, I hope everything...comes out okay. :wink:

I too just ordered a few of these parts. I went with 2' of the norprene tubing. I will be having the OMS valve installed in the next few days.

All in all, I hope everything...comes out okay. :wink:

I'll be installing my OMS valve on a Fusion in the next few days too, as soon as I work up the courage. What suit are you installing in?

One comment on the OMS valve, the plastic barb fitting that the Norprene tubing fits over is smaller in diameter than the McMaster fittings, and is a noticeably looser fit. I don't think the tubing will pull off but you might want to judge that for yourself. I may try to upgrade that plastic barb to a brass barb of slightly larger diameter.

The OMS valve looks good but has no external shutoff mechanism like the Halcyon or Light Monkey in the event of a leak in the valve. Hope that won't be a problem longterm.

I'll be installing my OMS valve on a Fusion in the next few days too, as soon as I work up the courage. What suit are you installing in?

I am installing it in a BARE Trilam HD Tech.

One comment on the OMS valve, the plastic barb fitting that the Norprene tubing fits over is smaller in diameter than the McMaster fittings, and is a noticeably looser fit. I don't think the tubing will pull off but you might want to judge that for yourself. I may try to upgrade that plastic barb to a brass barb of slightly larger diameter.

I do not think it should be a problem...I hope.

The OMS valve looks good but has no external shutoff mechanism like the Halcyon or Light Monkey in the event of a leak in the valve. Hope that won't be a problem longterm.

One of the reasons I went with the OMS was that I did not have to turn anything to go. I have several buddies that dive deep that have never had issues with it.

Sorry I didn't see your question at first.

In short: depending on how your route the hose (I route "up"), as long as you leave the hose long enough it will bend nicely and not cause "strain" :) My suit is out for alterations, but I probably have around 1 1/2' of hose on the P-valve.

Actually, the relatively stiff hose prevents it from kinking or getting pinched closed.

Henrik

Getting close to cutting the hole in my Fusion, and trying to procrastinate. Still didn't like the relatively loose fit of the pee valve plastic barb to the Norprene tubing. Went down to the corner hardware store and found brass barb fitting that is an exact replacement of the plastic part for $0.75. I went with a 5/16" hose barb (plastic is 1/4") for a snugger fit. The part that threads into the valve body is 1/8 pipe size.

Attachments

• fittingsandadapters_2127_38652516.gif
    fittingsandadapters_2127_38652516.gif
    8.4 KB · Views: 322
Nice find - good luck with the "hole punching" :)

Henrik

Just a follow-up since I've been asked about how I set things up and where the various QD fittings go:

P-Valve_Hook-up.jpg

1. The female QD connects to the Norprene hose coming from the P-valve. I chose to use a fitting with a shut-off valve here, so I don't drip urine into my suit.

2. and 3. the male QD connector and the double-ended barb connector go on each end of a ~2 1/2" piece of Norprene. It is absolutely *key* that there is no shut-off valve in the male fitting. Otherwise - when you're not connected - you *will not* be able to pee without some sort of female QD fitting.

3. the thicker end of the double-ended barb connector goes to the tip of the catheter.

I think some people use just the male QD fitting to go directly into the catheter tip. I chose to make the "extension", so that I can easier connect to the hose leading to the P-valve, and so that I can do that in public without exposing myself :)

I carry with me an extra assembly consisting of just a male QD fitting and a short length of Norprene hose. I plug that into the suit-side hose in order to flush the hose and P-valve after a day of diving. On-site I use rubbing alcohol that I carry in a plastic bottle with a tip that fits the hose. After flushing I "blow clear" the hose and P-valve and leave the P-valve open so it can dry.

When I get home I use the same cleaning assembly to flush the P-valve with lots of water and another alcohol flush.

Hope this helps.

I have been using the same Norprene tubing, 14/ X 7/16. I like to do an alcohol rinse followed by vinegar had have had issues with the tubing breaking down. Compatibility charts show it as a 3, one step from unsuitable. This results in a slimy drool from the P valve or loading the QD and locking it, OUCH. I am expecting some Tygon of the same size tomorrow. This should should be more stable and have the advantage of letting me seeing any visible growth that may be in the tube. There shouldn't be any but like RR said, trust but verify! BTW, in the US, be sure to vote!

A recent learning has been to wipe a scant film of silicone grease on the male QD O-ring after servicing. After multiple cleanings everything gets dry and hooking up can be difficult.

Thanks for organizing that pictorial, i have been meaning to do the same with my configuration.

Pete

I am expecting some Tygon of the same size tomorrow. This should should be more stable and have the advantage of letting me seeing any visible growth that may be in the tube.
Thanks for the heads up on the Tygon tubing. McMaster seems to have Tygon in many different grades, so I was wondering if you have a recommendation. Is it any more flexible than the same size Norprene tubing?

I went with: 5553K47 Food & Dairy Clear Tygon PVC Tubing, 1/4" ID, 7/16" OD, 3/32" Wall Thickness

I use that same material at work on biotech equipment and it's bullet proof. I'd gauge it a little more pliable but with that wall thickness I'm not worried about kinking or crushing, beside my routing is pretty gentle.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom