P-Valve Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thank you all regarding what is a “Dry QD”.

I’ve a (shiny new) BARE dry suit with Trigon pee-valve assembly. Experience of my four training dives and first two post certification dives suggest the gear should be referred to as a “Damp Suit” (perspiration through out the time I am wearing it.) The Trigon valve connection, black hose and on/off valve connection are all 5/16” I.D. I’ve purchased QD’s from Light Monkey and Amazon (BBTS vendor). I*’ll likely purchase a couple of Male ends from McMaster-Carr as they look identical to those offered by Light Monkey, but less expensive. I agree with the suggestions seen in the various threads to have multiple Male connectors and they will get lost easily or not found when needed.

Next question(s) is /are regarding locating the QD(s). I’m new to this ….. Thinking I would
A) Locate a “Dry QD” at the pee- valve down on the thigh (valved Male & valved Female components) .
B) Locate an Open Male & Valved female at the catheter end . Open Male QD component plugged into catheter and valved female plugged into hose leading to pee-valve and (A) QDs.
C) Don external catheter at home and insert male end of QD (B) into catheter.

At the dive site or on a boat, these QD’s would allow donning the suit to the waist including suspenders, then plugging in both ends of the drain line (semi-discretely) without too much “fishing”. Having said that, I do not (Yet) have the experience of getting both hands down my right thigh to make the QD connection at the site of the p-valve.

At the end of the dive day,
- disconnecting the drain line at both ends could then be done w/o worrying about getting a drain line of urine down my leg.

Or
-Using suggestions from above and other threads, having a 2nd (B) Open male QD component attached to a flushing bottle of desired flushing / disinfecting fluid and flush the system before disconnecting the plumbing in advance of doffing the suit.

A follow on Question…. If I do not have a QD down on the thigh site of the p-valve and assuming I have the drain hose connected to the suit’s p-valve prior to donning the suit, are there suggestions for donning / doffing the dry suit AND managing the drain hose connected to the p-valve’s brass / stainless steel connection fitting?

Thank you all regarding what is a “Dry QD”.

I’ve a (shiny new) BARE dry suit with Trigon pee-valve assembly. Experience of my four training dives and first two post certification dives suggest the gear should be referred to as a “Damp Suit” (perspiration through out the time I am wearing it.) The Trigon valve connection, black hose and on/off valve connection are all 5/16” I.D. I’ve purchased QD’s from Light Monkey and Amazon (BBTS vendor). I*’ll likely purchase a couple of Male ends from McMaster-Carr as they look identical to those offered by Light Monkey, but less expensive. I agree with the suggestions seen in the various threads to have multiple Male connectors and they will get lost easily or not found when needed.

Next question(s) is /are regarding locating the QD(s). I’m new to this ….. Thinking I would
A) Locate a “Dry QD” at the pee- valve down on the thigh (valved Male & valved Female components) .
B) Locate an Open Male & Valved female at the catheter end . Open Male QD component plugged into catheter and valved female plugged into hose leading to pee-valve and (A) QDs.
C) Don external catheter at home and insert male end of QD (B) into catheter.

At the dive site or on a boat, these QD’s would allow donning the suit to the waist including suspenders, then plugging in both ends of the drain line (semi-discretely) without too much “fishing”. Having said that, I do not (Yet) have the experience of getting both hands down my right thigh to make the QD connection at the site of the p-valve.

At the end of the dive day,
- disconnecting the drain line at both ends could then be done w/o worrying about getting a drain line of urine down my leg.

Or
-Using suggestions from above and other threads, having a 2nd (B) Open male QD component attached to a flushing bottle of desired flushing / disinfecting fluid and flush the system before disconnecting the plumbing in advance of doffing the suit.
A follow on Question…. If I do not have a QD down on the thigh site of the p-valve and assuming I have the drain hose connected to the suit’s p-valve prior to donning the suit, are there suggestions for donning / doffing the dry suit AND managing the drain hose connected to the p-valve’s brass / stainless steel connection fitting?
I think I understand your questions...
With an open male on your cath there is no need for a female to be attached to use it outside the suit.

The hose going to your trigon should not come off the valve unless you're doing some very thorough cleaning. Just have the female dry-break on it and connect to your member once halfway into the suit.

I don't think this has been said in awhile. Put a male QD into the female dry-break when storing the suit to prevent it from being a sealed wet tube that attaches to your tube...

You don't need a quick disconnect at all.

However, you'll be rummaging around in your undersuit threading the end of the hose onto your catheter which may be both fiddly and take a while whilst you're rumaging around in your underpants.

For the sake of modesty, and the benefit of others, a quick disconnect is much quicker!

Thank you for your replies. I understand the “need” vs. highly desirable to avoid “fiddling in my underwear” at the dive site or boat deck.

I did not consider use of the blank open male inserted to the drain connected to the valve to keep the damp (though disinfected / rinsed) drain line open for storage or air flight. Seems appropriate.

If the drain line is attached to the valve at the suit thigh w/o a QD, how or where do I route or set the drain line aside as I am donning my feet and legs into the suit w/o getting caught up on the drain line in the process?

Am I over thinking the process?

where do I route or set the drain line aside as I am donning my feet and legs into the suit w/o getting caught up on the drain line
Yes, you're overthinking this. The hose should be long enough to come up to about your belly button and then back down, so it's very easy to hold it out of the way with the back of your hand or thumb as you are putting your leg in and pulling up the waist.

Yes, you're overthinking this. The hose should be long enough to come up to about your belly button and then back down, so it's very easy to hold it out of the way with the back of your hand or thumb as you are putting your leg in and pulling up the waist.
I remember in my Drysuit class the instructor showing me how to don the suit. Referring to the pee hose and the suspenders, he said, "Reach into the suit and grab all this stuff and hold it out of the way while you step into the suit."

Back
Top Bottom