Oxygen Tank Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kirk1717

New
Reaction score
Hello. I do not really do much diving, but I am interested in getting a short-term, small tank with built in regulator. Essentially, I need a tank that I can carry with me and it only needs to last 10 minutes or so. I am not sure what its called or where could buy one, so if anyone has any information for me it would be much appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Hello. I do not really do much diving, but I am interested in getting a short-term, small tank with built in regulator. Essentially, I need a tank that I can carry with me and it only needs to last 10 minutes or so. I am not sure what its called or where could buy one, so if anyone has any information for me it would be much appreciated. Thanks for the help.

If you really want to scuba dive please seek some professional instruction.

Your question scares me. Most scuba does not involve breathing Oxygen. (There special applications for O2, but they are for very advanced tech / deco dives.

Almost all recreational scuba divers breathe compressed air, Oxygen is dangerous and actually toxic if used below certain depths.

Your question tells me you have no business looking for a tank, or any other scuba gear now.

Get some instruction.

Tobin

Kirk,

The link that JeffG has provided is pretty much what you're after.

cool_hardware's response may sound harsh, but using an underwater breathing device of any kind can be wrought with danger if you don't know what you're dealing with.

If you do manage to get hold of an "oxygen tank" (as opposed to what you're really looking for - an "air tank"), using it to breathe from at a depths of between 15-20' will very likely result in convulsions and death.

Breathing from an "air tank" like the SpareAir, without proper instruction on breathing compressed gas at depth, even at depths of only 15-20' can result in the very real risk of lung over-expansion (embolism) and cause serious injury or death.

No-one can stop you doing what you want to do, but please consider seriously the risks of breathing underwater without proper instruction.

froop:
If you do manage to get hold of an "oxygen tank" (as opposed to what you're really looking for - an "air tank"), using it to breathe from at a depths of between 15-20' will very likely result in convulsions and death.

Actually, 15'-20' is exactly where you want to be breathing pure 02. Below 20' is where you are looking for the oxygen toxicity convulsions you mentioned.

well aside from all of the obvious warnings and about training before you use scuba equipment, I saw Zeagle has a complete self contained system with the tank integrated into the BC, called the Rapid Diver. comes with a 20 cu tank and holds up to a 27.

Ohh did I mention to get certified and "train" often

Hello. I do not really do much diving, but I am interested in getting a short-term, small tank with built in regulator. Essentially, I need a tank that I can carry with me and it only needs to last 10 minutes or so. I am not sure what its called or where could buy one, so if anyone has any information for me it would be much appreciated.
I may be way off, but I read your question as potentially looking for an small air supply for surface use, possibly because of air quality problems in a particular environment? If that is the case, the SpareAir units mentioned by several are worth a look. Problem with them is that they are a bit pricey, and the bigger unit only holds 3 cf, which may last 4-6 minutes on the surface. Another option would be to get a 13 cf pony bottle, on-line or at a dive shop, and pick up an inexpensive used scuba regulator. The final cost might be about the same.

See! (and you said there was no application for a product like this...)

:D

Mister Darwin - ah... I mean, Kirk1717 :wink:, seriously, if you would tell us how you exactly plan to use the O2 tank (above the water, below for..?), you might get a more specific response, rather than a debate on PPO2 physiology.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom