Overfilling LP Steel Tanks -- How bad is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The data chart does not give the full info, it takes the interested to do a full search to find out what actually happened. ALL steel tank failures during filling I have done full research for were determined to be resulting from a line or internal corrosion issue, none were from straight overfilling of a properly maintained bottle.

I'd like to see a few hydro testers tell us how many steel they fail (as a percent) vs. aluminium they fail (again as a percent). My sources over the years have always said more steel fail than aluminium. Overfilling to the pressures and numbers we are now seeing is a rather new issue in the history of steel cylinders. It may take time to see what the outcome will be.

I will again say that this is really a Chicken Little scenario.

Our economy is in the toilet, millions of people are losing their jobs, our country is going down the tubes, millions of people die every year due to completely preventable causes...

...and we are discussing the possiblity of dying from overfilling scuba cylinders. Come'on...there are more important things to worry about in life.

Here's a challenge................. Someone produce an incident where a person was injured or killed due to a LP steel (dive bottle) exploding. I don't mean storage bottles, or bottles during hydro, dropping a bottle or anything like that. I mean a steel, LP, dive bottle that exploded while filling, carrying or diving. If it exploded it had to have harmed someone. I think there probably has been an incident or two, but compared to aluminum bottles of the type that has been found to be flawed, I think this is a non-issue that we have beaten to death and back to life.

If you don't feel safe filling to the pressures this thread has talked about than don't. But unless you can substantiate its danger, firsthand, than your point is moot. Remember, diving is about taking care of yourself first. If you can do that you can then help others, be a good buddy, and even a good solo diver. Preaching what you have heard is not always bad as there are good sources of information out there and we can't always experience everything first hand. But not all information is accurate. What matters is "what can I feel comfortable with". What you choose to do is your choice and as long as it doesn't harm me I don't care. That is the choice we all have to make.

It's important to consider the types of dives being conducted as well. While I consider cave diving to be relatively safe, it is a higher risk type of diving than a recreational dive. So that the extra gas increases my safety factor and more than makes up for any perceived risk in overfilling. Gas is life! If it hits the fan, nothing can stop me from making it out okay as long as I have a good gas management plan.

Almost every cave dive I do involves the use of 4 tanks, on rare occassion 5: Double 104s, an 80cf stage bottle, and at least at the beginning of the dive a 40cf O2 bottle and maybe a second 40cf bottle for a trimix dive.

If I'm already maxed out carrying tanks and then going back 2,500 feet in a cave, the 'get the bigger tanks' or 'you should use HP tanks' arguments don't hold water. I've already got big tanks and LOTS of them. If I'm going to go thru all that, I want to maximize my bottom time. So I'm doing a staged decompression dive with as much gas as I can comfortably carry. Some divers even use 120s pumped up, but the average diver, talking about myself here, finds that something around the 104 range works best. It gives you the gas you need for gas matching. Those that use more air than average can go with the double 120s and can still match out with their buddies.

Could I do several setup dives and line the cave with 80cf stage bottles? Yes, but who wants to do 2 or 3 setup dives when it isn't necessary or efficient. I want to do one big dive and move on to the next dive.

Here's a challenge................. Someone produce an incident where a person was injured or killed due to a LP steel (dive bottle) exploding. I don't mean storage bottles, or bottles during hydro, dropping a bottle or anything like that. I mean a steel, LP, dive bottle that exploded while filling, carrying or diving. If it exploded it had to have harmed someone. I think there probably has been an incident or two, but compared to aluminum bottles of the type that has been found to be flawed, I think this is a non-issue that we have beaten to death and back to life.

If you don't feel safe filling to the pressures this thread has talked about than don't. But unless you can substantiate its danger, firsthand, than your point is moot. Remember, diving is about taking care of yourself first. If you can do that you can then help others, be a good buddy, and even a good solo diver. Preaching what you have heard is not always bad as there are good sources of information out there and we can't always experience everything first hand. But not all information is accurate. What matters is "what can I feel comfortable with". What you choose to do is your choice and as long as it doesn't harm me I don't care. That is the choice we all have to make.

Did you look at the list I posted?
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/4558800-post218.html

Nov 2001 filling, killed one
Aug 9 1999 filling, severe injury
A very interesting one in Aug 1994 Calgary Canada, steel, filling, overfill/disk, one killed one moderate. Sounds like a cave fill thing to me.

DOT and PSI most likely do not get info on third world ruptures, there should be more then just these!!
I'm trying to get 2002 to present data. not sure if they will release it to me as of yet.

Did you notice your list doesn't show any trend that Steel LP tanks are more of a risk than Aluminum? An aluminum tank over filled is just as dangerous.

Rick,

you cannot give these guys the answer the want. It's like a religion with them. They believe!!!

I'm saying that regardless of the type of tank (steel or aluminum), over filling is over filling and the risk associated with it is still the same. The data provided don't associate a greater risk with steel or aluminum, the risk is equal.

I'm saying that regardless of the type of tank (steel or aluminum), over filling is over filling and the risk associated with it is still the same. The data provided don't associate a greater risk with steel or aluminum, the risk is equal.

I cannot disagree with the above statement. All cylinders, regardless of composition, have roughly the same margin of safety built into them. If overpressurizing LP steel is "safe" it is equally "safe" to over pressurize HP and aluminium.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom