Overfilling LP Steel Tanks -- How bad is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I said I wasn't going to reply, but this demands clarification. I said "100% duty cycle", not "100% of yield strength". 100% of yield strength is failure!!

This is a little nitpicky but 100% yield strength is not failure. You're thinking of tensile strength. The yield strength of a material is the point at which the deformation becomes plastic rather than elastic, ie the point at which it starts to permanently deform from the original shape.

This is a little nitpicky but 100% yield strength is not failure. You're thinking of tensile strength. The yield strength of a material is the point at which the deformation becomes plastic rather than elastic, ie the point at which it starts to permanently deform from the original shape.

I don't know why I let myself get drawn into these things...

No, I'm NOT thinking tensile. At the point of plastic deformation (yield), the cylinder FAILS the test due to permanent expansion (anything more than 10% of the total expansion). That's what I meant by FAILURE.

Sorry, I think in terms of requalification, not structural failure.

Darrell Garton
CTC Seminars

I still say this is all a bunch of Chicken Little...

OH MY GOD WE HAVE EXPLODING CYLINDERS LEFT AND RIGHT!! IT'S A PLAGUE ON MANKIND!

haha. Luis's chart has me a little concerned. I think I'll break out the calculator as well.

haha. Luis's chart has me a little concerned. I think I'll break out the calculator as well.

If you send me a PM with your email address I will be glad to send you the Excel file.
I have other calculation sheets on MathCAD and Excel that I am glad to share. The calculations are based on CFR 49 and CGA (Compress Gas Association) C-5. In addition column 13 on the spread sheet shows the basic hoop stresses for a cylinder (S= P*R/t).

How is FIT doing? I took some graduate level classes there when I was working at Harris.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom