Overfilling LP Steel Tanks -- How bad is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"(2) For cylinders with service pressure of 900 psig or more the
minimum wall must be such that the wall stress at the minimum specified
test pressure may not exceed 67 percent of the minimum tensile strength
of the steel as determined from the physical tests required in
paragraphs (k) and (l) of this section and must be not over 70,000 psi."

The 4130 Alloy used in XS scuba tanks has a minimum Yield of 70,000 psi. The Max stress according to that paragraph could be .67 * 85000psi (The tensile strength) = 57000 psi. Even Hydro pressures (in this case 4400psi) is still below the worst case yield strength for the material.
A 3600 fill is even further from yield. Cyclic fatigue over (in my case 50 fills a year for 10 years) will not be an issue but I will still get rid of the tank because I don't want to see what happens at the end of that curve. I don't think these tanks should be in use for their intended service life nor even half.

I know thats a real elementary way of determining the tanks strength but there is still a large safety factor at 3600. I hope this remains in good spirits.

3600 fills do not push 100%. It's closer to 50-55% Yield strength. 4400psi is only 66%. I have been studying mechanics for the last three years and see no reason for why that pressure (3600) is unsafe. I'd even be willing to take a a few tanks that guys have been overfilling for 10-20 years and test the metal with my professors. I think we all accept that service life is degraded through cyclic fatigue. The amount of cycles even at 4000psi that a tank could go through is in the thousands. My tanks will still last 50 years but I probably won't keep mine past 10 years because I don't know the exact effect the loading is having on my individual tank. Hopefully by then, we can get the capacities we want in a reasonable sized and priced tank. Then there will be no need for overfilling.

"(2) For cylinders with service pressure of 900 psig or more the
minimum wall must be such that the wall stress at the minimum specified
test pressure may not exceed 67 percent of the minimum tensile strength
of the steel as determined from the physical tests required in
paragraphs (k) and (l) of this section and must be not over 70,000 psi."

The 4130 Alloy used in XS scuba tanks has a minimum Yield of 70,000 psi. The Max stress according to that paragraph could be .67 * 85000psi (The tensile strength) = 57000 psi. Even Hydro pressures (in this case 4400psi) is still below the worst case yield strength for the material.
A 3600 fill is even further from yield. Cyclic fatigue over (in my case 50 fills a year for 10 years) will not be an issue but I will still get rid of the tank because I don't want to see what happens at the end of that curve. I don't think these tanks should be in use for their intended service life nor even half.

I know thats a real elementary way of determining the tanks strength but there is still a large safety factor at 3600. I hope this remains in good spirits.

I said I wasn't going to reply, but this demands clarification. I said "100% duty cycle", not "100% of yield strength". 100% of yield strength is failure!! That cylinder (3AA2250) is designed to withstand 10,000 cycles at 3750 psi. 3600 pushes into the test cycle range of that cylinder. DOT defines any pressurization over 90% of test pressure as a test cycle. So, any pressurization over 3375 counts as a test cycle.

I don't know WHERE you're getting your numbers of: "3600 fills do not push 100%. It's closer to 50-55% Yield strength. 4400psi is only 66%."

You're way off. Minimum burst pressure of that cylinder is 5,625 psi. Yield comes before maximum tensile (burst pressure), and the test pressure is about 67% of the maximum tensile. Unless we're talking about different cylinders, your math is completely wrong.

3600 psi is 64% of burst, probably about 68-71% of yield.

4400 psi is 78% of burst, probably about 82-87% of yield.

In layman's terms, that paragraph you quoted, 40 CFR §178.37(f)(2) means that the burst pressure of the cylinder (maximum tensile strength) cannot be less than 1.5 times the test pressure.

You are confusing wall stress and tensile strength, and then trying to use the maximum wall stress as the burst pressure of the cylinder.

The 70,000 psi is the maximum wall stress limitation calculated from the Bach formula, found in the next paragraph f(3) of that section. It is NOT the maximum pressure in the cylinder. That cylinder is designed with a burst pressure of 1.5 times the test pressure. For a 3AA 2250 that means it has a minimum burst pressure of 5,625 psi. NOT 57,000 psi stated in your post. The paragraph says the wall stress AT TEST PRESSURE cannot exceed 67% of the minimum tensile strength of the steel. When you solve the wall stress calculation found in the next paragraph, you find that for an LP72 (3AA 2250 6.83" x 25"), the wall stress at test pressure is about 54,670 psi. Plug 5625 psi (burst pressure) into that formula, and you are right at the 85,000 psi tensile strength you mentioned.

I don't mean to offend you, and I do hope this remains in good spirits, but you have effectively proven my point. There are all kinds of posts making all kinds of mis-informed, erroneous, and downright dangerous statements. You went to the correct source for the specification, but you did not understand it, and therefore you have come to erroneous conclusions.

By the way, what are you going to do with those damaged cylinders when you "get rid of them"? Are you going to count fill cycles, and destroy them? Or are they going to show up at some swap meet or garage sale where some unsuspecting soul will think he's getting a bargain?

Darrell Garton
CTC Seminars

I Was talking about the 2400 + tanks and did all my calculations using a 2640 service pressure. I did not mean to say that burst pressure was 57,000 psi, thats just ridiculous.

I Was just saying the test pressure correlates to a stress of 57000 psi. The yield stress is 70,000 on that steel so that hydro test would push the tank to 80% ish yield which sounds right and you agree. The 3600 fills are lower towards 60% of the pressure requried to permantely deform that tank. So as long as I do not cycle the tank through an extreme amount of exposure to 3600psi the tank will be fine. I am not even saying I fill 3600 every week. I usually go to 3200-3300, and once and a while get 3600. I believe 3600 is a common cave fiill.

Lastly, my tanks will only ever be mine. If I feel they have been overworked, I will destroy them.
I'm hoping that within 5 -10 years overfilling will not even exist and I can get 165 cft out of a tank at an undoubtedly safe pressure.

The fatigue limit for these tanks is probably somewhere between 3000 and 3200 psi. I will do more math and research. If you were to stay under these limits every time you filled, then discarding the tank early would be much less necessary. Otherwise if one were to continue overfilling, probably 10-20% of the tensile strength would be lost after 1000 fills depending on by how much pressure. I hope no one is routinely filling past 3600ish. I have not spent enough time in North Florida to find out.

If you do the calculations per CFR 49 you will see the cylinder wall as shown on column 11 of the Excel spread sheet below. The 70,000 psi maximum allowable stress (during hydro test) happens to also be the minimum yield stress for ASTM 4130 (and the other alloys allowed under the 3AA code).

If you notice in column 11 the calculated stress on all 3AA cylinders is close to the 70 ksi allowed. This based on the minimum design wall thickness. Actual wall thickness would have to account for manufacturing tolerances, etc.

For ASME code pressure vessels the wall thickness often has a design corrosion allowance that is much higher than DOT cylinders (actually DOT cylinder design calculation does not require corrosion allowance). ASME cylinders are design for permanent installation and generally do not require requalification’s during their service life.

I am not sure were the 57 ksi or the 80% of yield you are referring to comes from, but I will be glad to share all the calculation data behind this spread sheet (and the spread sheet) if you like. It is fairly simple calculations.

TanksHoopStress8-30-05-old.jpg

So why not use a PST E9791 or Worthington E14157 HP cylinder and just do it right?

I know the answer! You're cheap!

So why not use a PST E9791 or Worthington E14157 HP cylinder and just do it right?

I know the answer! You're cheap!

If everybody had HP cylinders wouldn't the thread be titled "Overfilling HP Steel Tanks -- How Bad Is It?"
Then we could discuss dumping 4500 in a 3500 rated cylinder.
lol, no one is ever happy.

I will be happy when there is a HP 160 that is no bigger than 8" diameter and not longer than 27".
I will then fill to exact service pressure everytime gauranteed.
I'm not sure my back can take anything more than 108s.

This link is the main page so you can look at 3A and 3Al specs as well as some other info.
2004 CFR Title 49, Volume 2

It does appear that the Aluminum and HP tanks have a lower safety margin. But in terms of actual tank fills (only considering the safety margins) a 3600 LP fill is equivelant to a 4000 Al fill.
Of course we don't do that to Al's, so i'll be looking into the dozen other factors determining tank strength and life span.

Actually, it looks like the aluminum 3AL tanks have the higher safety margin. A 3AL3000 tank at 3000 psi will be at it's rated capacity. For a 3AA3000 tank to be at it's rated capacity, it must be overfilled to 3300psi. Both of those tanks would have a test pressure of 5000psi and at test pressure, both tanks would see wall stress of about 67% of their respective material yield strength.

So when both are filled to their rated CAPACITY, the 3AA tank is closer to yield. Therefore, less safety factor.

I will be happy when there is a HP 160 that is no bigger than 8" diameter and not longer than 27".
I will then fill to exact service pressure everytime gauranteed.
I'm not sure my back can take anything more than 108s.

That could be done in an aluminum tank made with 7000 series alloy. It would be the same size as an AL80, would have only slightly thicker walls and would have good buoyancy characteristics but unfortunately, the service pressure would be about 6200psi.:shocked2:

Actually, 7000 series alloy would be probably the best material for 4500psi scuba tanks when you consider buoyancy, cost, corrosion resistance, safety factor and life span.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom