Other Lakes in Az - Saguaro / Roosevelt ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubeneath

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
New to the board, I am still cathing up on postings, etc. however throughout, there is not much discussion on other lakes in Az, lakes such as Saguaro Lake and Lake Roosevelt. Are these lakes worth the drive to dive ? Are there any typical groups that head out there frequently ?

Scubeneath

Can't speak for Roosevelt, but I dove Saguaro a few months ago for my night and limited viz specialty.... I'm not joking when I say that the viz was 3" (read: inches, not feet). I had to put my wrist mounted computer up against my mask to read it.

Wow....3 INCHES....thats unreal. Must almost feel constrictive not being able see anything around you. Good lesson in Compass Nav ?

IMO: The only lakes worth diving in the area are Mohave and Pleasant. From a boat, Lake Mead is a decent option.

jcf

Saguaro has a rep for terrible vis, as posted previous. I have had poor luck with vis there and stay away, unless volunteering for a clean-up. I'm not sure about Roosevelt. I hear Canyon can be hit or miss and my experience is the same for Apache. Lake Pleasant seems to have the best vis for Phoenix local diving. WE regularly post when we are heading out to go dive at Pleasant...keep your eyes peeled to the posts...

I dove Saguaro lake last December for a Project AWARE clean up dive at the time the vis was about 3'. I just got notice the other day of another cleanup dive scheduled for September 20th which I will probably volunteer for. Aside from that like others I dive Lake Pleasant it's vis seems to be the best of the local bodies of water available.

The few times I have stopped by Roosevelt for family gatherings I looked at the water. Best description I have for it is "Mississippi river". Too thick to drink, too thin to plow. It is the first silt catcher in the line of 5 dams on the salt.

Sagauro I did over fathers day 2 years ago. 10' maybe. It was a quick dip, the main reason was to take the boat out. While on the water I did a quick check of a cove I wanted to know a little more about.

I really should try Pleasant someday. It's just so far and the one time I had the boat on that lake I named it lake un-pleasant. I am just a little too much of a multi tasker. If I go to the lake I want the boat along as well.

The September 20th clean up sounds good, but I am already booked on the chassis dyno for the day.

Wow....3 INCHES....thats unreal. Must almost feel constrictive not being able see anything around you. Good lesson in Compass Nav ?

The best visibility I have personally experienced at Saguaro is ten feet. Most of the time, visibility is five feet or less. Compass navigation can be difficult because in some locations compasses don't seem to work. When it first happened to me, I assumed it was operator error. However, others have experienced it, too, and I believe the most common explanation is metal deposits in the rocks (lots of metals all over the Supersititions, and I've seen copper deposits near Saguaro). The problem might also be caused by a submerged alien spaceship, but I don't have any proof of that explanation. :D

I dove in Canyon lake once. Less than one foot of visibility.

Roosevelt is just as far (or farther) as Pleasant, and the water is murky, so I haven't even bothered trying to dive there.

"The Eds" (ScubaholicEd & company) have been diving the Salt River lately and have reported divable conditions around Sheep Crossing/Blue Point.

The best visibility I have personally experienced at Saguaro is ten feet. Most of the time, visibility is five feet or less. Compass navigation can be difficult because in some locations compasses don't seem to work. When it first happened to me, I assumed it was operator error. However, others have experienced it, too, and I believe the most common explanation is metal deposits in the rocks (lots of metals all over the Supersititions, and I've seen copper deposits near Saguaro). The problem might also be caused by a submerged alien spaceship, but I don't have any proof of that explanation. :D

Maybe it's all the garbage we pull out on each cleanup dive seems like an never ending supply of glass, plastic and cans of all types.
Hmmm, I heard from an ol'timer that the entrance to The Lost Dutchman mine is submerged in Saguaro Lake. :wink:

I checked the info on the Project AWARE and seems to be a great excuse to get wet ! RAWalker, last year, when you dove the Project AWARE, about how deep on avg does the cleanup take place in ? Ever find anything valuable ?

Scubeneath

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom