Newbie Diving in NorCal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StenieJ

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Very newly certified and want to get more practice in. Descending, buoyancy control, not shooting up to the surface when my tank is low etc. I'm in the East Bay and looking for some place semi close to go to. I did just see the post about Folsom and didn't even think about lakes as a possibility. I like the thought of lakes, hate the thought of all the drunk a-holes driving the boats above. I would also need to rent bcd / reg / tanks / wetsuit, so if there are dive shops close to the locations, a plus. Any suggestions of relatively tame local locations to get more time in underwater? I am keeping an eye on local shops fun dives they have, but I am not totally sure how they work yet and don't want to be a downer on other people's dive, ie I'm out of air so we all have to come up. *my husband is newly certified with me so I wouldn't be going by myself.

Not sure what part of the Easy Bay you are from, but there are plenty of freshwater options there as well. As someone who both dives a TON (for fun as well as teaches) in local waterways near Sacramento, I can tell you that if you are diving with a Buoy with a Dive Flag on it, you are generally okay. Even the most idiotic usually respect that when its above.

I'd look into Diver Dan's in Santa Clara for events. That's a big shop in that area (a little ways away I know, but they do local diving.). If you are up the Sac way, check out Fisheye Scuba in Granite Bay (stay away from the other LDS around here as the folks aren't as friendly or willing to take on new divers for truly local dives). Most shops rent out all the gear you need so no worries there. The 3rd Sunday of every month my dive buddy and I (we are both instructors) take anyone out with us for local events in nearby lakes and waterways we love. This year the water is high so it's a bit challenging to dive our favorite spots. I am PASSIONATE about conservation and in the past 2 years have pulled out over 1,000 pounds of trash from local rivers and lakes along with finding some amazing treasures. We love taking new divers treasure and trash hunting with us and getting more people involved in the conservation of our sacred waters.

As for worrying about gas consumption, if you and your hubs are dive buddies and go through your gas and need to surface, its all good! Most of us experienced folks just love sharing our passion for bubbles with anyone and a cold beverage after the dive and sharing laughs makes us all forget how much gas in our tanks are left.

I have no issue coming up if people I am taking out go through their gas. I'll have a laugh with the group while they have a cold drink and then go back in the water, finish the dive, and then enjoy a cold one with them. It's all good. Come on up our way and get to know our crew! We are always welcoming!

I would also talk to folks at your LDS to see where their people dive locally and ask them about a DLD. That way you get exposed to the area, gain confidence and then you and your partner can go out together in the future.

Best of luck!

Very newly certified and want to get more practice in. Descending, buoyancy control, not shooting up to the surface when my tank is low etc. I'm in the East Bay and looking for some place semi close to go to. I did just see the post about Folsom and didn't even think about lakes as a possibility. I like the thought of lakes, hate the thought of all the drunk a-holes driving the boats above. I would also need to rent bcd / reg / tanks / wetsuit, so if there are dive shops close to the locations, a plus. Any suggestions of relatively tame local locations to get more time in underwater? I am keeping an eye on local shops fun dives they have, but I am not totally sure how they work yet and don't want to be a downer on other people's dive, ie I'm out of air so we all have to come up. *my husband is newly certified with me so I wouldn't be going by myself.
hello steniej,

i'm also in the east bay and dive monterey all the time and i'm always looking for dive buddies. i go about once a month. i'll reach out when i'm schedule to go again. and reach out when you need a buddie.

I'm also in the E. Bay. Check out Dive N Trips in Pleasanton--they do fun dives pretty regularly in Monterey, etc. They have full gear rental.

Diver Dan's is great, just not as convenient.

Not sure about fresh water. I haven't taken the plunge for cold water yet (actually again--I was certified in 50 degree 6' vis quarries), but it's on my list.

Not sure what part of the Easy Bay you are from, but there are plenty of freshwater options there as well
Concord, we are not against driving a hour or 3 for day trips.
I'd look into Diver Dan's in Santa Clara for events.
We stopped by there once when we happened to be in San Jose to look for bootie and ended up talking to Dan. Then ended up driving out there again just to look at the gear after we were certified and ended up talking to Dan again. I like that place, wish it was closer.
The 3rd Sunday of every month my dive buddy and I (we are both instructors) take anyone out with us for local events in nearby lakes and waterways we love. This year the water is high so it's a bit challenging to dive our favorite spots. I am PASSIONATE about conservation and in the past 2 years have pulled out over 1,000 pounds of trash from local rivers and lakes along with finding some amazing treasures. We love taking new divers treasure and trash hunting with us and getting more people involved in the conservation of our sacred waters.
Sign me up for that mailing list! Seriously, if my schedule works out I would love to participate in stuff like that.

Thanks @DivinLion01 for all your input!

i'm also in the east bay and dive monterey all the time and i'm always looking for dive buddies. i go about once a month. i'll reach out when i'm schedule to go again. and reach out when you need a buddie.
Thank you!

Concord, we are not against driving a hour or 3 for day trips.

We stopped by there once when we happened to be in San Jose to look for bootie and ended up talking to Dan. Then ended up driving out there again just to look at the gear after we were certified and ended up talking to Dan again. I like that place, wish it was closer.

Sign me up for that mailing list! Seriously, if my schedule works out I would love to participate in stuff like that.

Thanks @DivinLion01 for all your input!

steniej,

a local dive shop in the east bay i frequent is Deep Ocean Explorer Store (DOER) in alameda. the shop is great and jim is very knowledgeable and very helpfull. the shop does have weird hours, check before you go.

Welcome to SB! I'm relatively new here myself but have already found it to be a fantastic community with a wealth of resources.

You would do well to check out a few dive clubs and find out which ones suit you best. I personally like Aqua Tutus (Castro Valley), Flipper Dippers (San Jose), and Dolphin Divers (Sacramento). Aqua Tutus offers great training programs for furthering your progression into certifications and becoming a better diver, historically they provided their own certification program before PADI, NAUI, and the other international certifications came along. The entire philosophy of the club is to impart experience and get more time in the water to be safer divers. SJ Flipper Dippers and Dolphin Divers also have a great community of passionate divers. All the clubs have monthly dives and sometimes impromptu dives, mostly in Monterey though Dolphin Divers have freshwater dives in various lakes.

Also worth checking out are urchin culling events in Mendocino/Sonoma. Watermen's Alliance is hosting regular monthly culling events at Caspar Cove, and Eric should be hosting some urchin culling dives as well. These tend to be shallow working dives and can be a great way to spend time in the water while helping out the ecosystem.

Hi @StenieJ,
I dive the North Coast north of the Golden Gate up in Sonoma and Mendocino Counties.
It takes me about and hour and a half from Santa Rosa to Concord, and from Santa Rosa up to Stillwater Cove regional Park in Sonoma County is about an hour and a half, so that’s about your three hour max travel time right there.
I use Seal’s Water Sports in Santa Rosa as my local dive shop (great people!). They have monthly fun dives somewhere in Sonoma or Mendocino Co., and sometimes they go to Monterey. They would have everything you need to rent.
One thing nice about up north is not many people go there to dive so it’s never crowded and there are lots of places to stay if you wanted to make a weekend out if it.
Hopefully I’ll slow down with work enough to actually get back up to Stillwater Cove to do more urchin removal dives. Check out my thread in the Norcal forum regarding urchin removal dives. That would be a great opportunity for you guys to get in some diving and acclimate yourselves to our ocean environment. You don’t have to take urchins to participate, you can make a fun dive out of it if you wish. The great part is you will meet a lot of people and get involved in the local dive scene.
Also, go to sealswatersports.com and sign up for their newsletter.
Welcome to scubaboard!
Cheers
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom