Upcoming urchin dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eric Sedletzky

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi all,
I’m looking at future dates for more purple urchin removal dives at Stillwater Cove Regional Park in Sonoma County.
With this latest series of storms coming through it doesn’t look good for January.
I’ll keep an eye on February and post it up if and when it looks like it will happen.
I’ll use this thread for all future urchin removal dives so I won’t have to start a new thread every time.
Meanwhile, we can have a discussion on anything related to urchin diving.

A few things I want to go over for those that are new and want to take part:

You will need a valid CA fishing license. Don’t forget you will also need an ocean enhancement stamp. I just got mine and the total was $65.32

You will also need at least one large green Trident mesh game bag. I have two green bags and a yellow bag, which is one step smaller than the green bag. I can fill all three bags on one dive and have a limit.

You will also need a 50# lift bag to get the urchin bags to the surface so you can float them in. I have an XS Scuba lift bag that I got at Seal’s Watersports in Santa Rosa. Get the deluxe bag because it has a few options to inflate it plus it has a nice big pull dump and they are rugged.
I clip all three bags onto the lift bag and send them up then float them to the beach.
If anyone is unfamiliar with how to use a lift bag, I can explain it, or we can do a dive together and I’ll show you how I do it.

You will need a few containers to put all the urchins in. The limit is 40 gallons if whole purple urchins. I use two 20 gallon Brute trash cans. It is important to have measurable containers so you know when you have reached your limit, and so you can transport them.
I have another eight spare 5 gallon plastic buckets that can be used to measure and contain a limit.
I can probably get more free buckets if anybody needs them.

I have a hand truck to get the containers if urchins from the beach/staging area to the parking area.
I have to think of everything when it comes to logistics. Containers of urchins are heavy!

I would also like to get a hanging scale to weight the bags of urchins as they come in. The Department if Fish and Wildlife would appreciate a report on the poundage and quantity plus the location where urchins are taken so they can use the data for their own purposes. I will be more than happy to supply this information to them.
A data sheet on a clip board with a volunteer taking notes would also be great! if anybody knows someone that would like to help out as surface support that would be fantastic! It could be a non diver.

Also, we need to think about how the urchins get transported and where do they go?
I have a pick up truck and I haul my own urchins.
I have been working on places and people to give the urchins to. The rest go into the green compost can. Many are inedible because they either have very little roe or they are too small.
I suggest contacting people you know and offering free uni to anybody who wants it.
I’ve offered them to the local asian community in our area (free urchins!!) and they are thrilled. The Asian cultures value uni very much so they are very happy to get it. Others are hit and mis, but I spread the information out there none the less.

The rules:
There are only two locations in California that are open to unlimited take of purple sea urchin and also culling (smashing).
One is Caspar Cove in Mendocino County, and the other is Tankers Reef in Monterey County. No other locations allow culling or unlimited take.

In Sonoma, Mendocino, and Humboldt Counties the limit is 40 gallons per day of whole purple urchins. There is no possession limit.
All other species of urchins the limit is 35.
I will go over the difference if anybody is interested but it’s pretty obvious.

Again, we will be concentrating our efforts at Stillwater Cove Regional Park in Sonoma County.
They have bathrooms, picnic tables, and barbecues.
There is a day use parking lot up across the highway in the northwest corner if the campground. The parking fee for the day is $7 unless you have a park pass, then it’s free.
There is also a turn out along hwy 1 right above the cove that is free, but it fills up quickly. And can hold only about 6-8 cars.

Bring everything you think you will need because the closest dive shop is an hour and a half away in Santa Rosa.

Thank you for reading, I hope everyone is getting excited to do this!
This is really important work and I sincerely appreciate all the help I can get!
Thank you so much!

Cheers!

Hi Eric,
Thanks for posting this detailed message. I am new and I am planning to drive up from SF the next time you folks do this dive!

I have a couple of follow up inline questions:
Hi all,
I’m looking at future dates for more purple urchin removal dives at Stillwater Cove Regional Park in Sonoma County.
With this latest series of storms coming through it doesn’t look good for January.
I’ll keep an eye on February and post it up if and when it looks like it will happen.
I’ll use this thread for all future urchin removal dives so I won’t have to start a new thread every time.
Meanwhile, we can have a discussion on anything related to urchin diving.

A few things I want to go over for those that are new and want to take part:

You will need a valid CA fishing license. Don’t forget you will also need an ocean enhancement stamp. I just got mine and the total was $65.32

How long does the process usually take? I am guessing I can just do this online and get a print out right before the first dives?

You will also need at least one large green Trident mesh game bag. I have two green bags and a yellow bag, which is one step smaller than the green bag. I can fill all three bags on one dive and have a limit.

You will also need a 50# lift bag to get the urchin bags to the surface so you can float them in. I have an XS Scuba lift bag that I got at Seal’s Watersports in Santa Rosa. Get the deluxe bag because it has a few options to inflate it plus it has a nice big pull dump and they are rugged.
I clip all three bags onto the lift bag and send them up then float them to the beach.
If anyone is unfamiliar with how to use a lift bag, I can explain it, or we can do a dive together and I’ll show you how I do it.

I have never used a lift bag before, only a DSMB on tropical dives. I do plan to get one for later tech classes. I am guessing an 80 lb lift bag such as this should also be fine right for removing urchins?

Lastly, do I need to get protective gear of any kind for removal? I use 3mm gloves in Monterey, I don't know if you use something else to grab and remove them? I saw a video online of a woman removing the uni from urchins and she was using shears so I figure they are not exactly the most fragile creatures.

Hi Eric,
Thanks for posting this detailed message. I am new and I am planning to drive up from SF the next time you folks do this dive!

I have a couple of follow up inline questions:

How long does the process usually take? I am guessing I can just do this online and get a print out right before the first dives?

I have never used a lift bag before, only a DSMB on tropical dives. I do plan to get one for later tech classes. I am guessing an 80 lb lift bag such as this should also be fine right for removing urchins?

Lastly, do I need to get protective gear of any kind for removal? I use 3mm gloves in Monterey, I don't know if you use something else to grab and remove them? I saw a video online of a woman removing the uni from urchins and she was using shears so I figure they are not exactly the most fragile creatures.
Very good points, thank you!

You can go into any sporting goods store and even many hardware stores now and get a fishing license. All you do is hand them your drivers license, they scan it, and they print out your fishing license. It’s as simple as that. I got mine at my little local True Value Hardware.

That lift bag looks pretty good. Mine has a double lift strap. I’ll post a link.
I just got a #50 since it seemed big enough and the urchins are not as heavy underwater. I don’t know how it will lift three full bags at one time yet because I’ve only hooked up two full green bags so far so this could be interesting.

Gloves are a great topic, something I forgot to mention in the OP.
Yes, gloves should be kevlar. I actually wore some holes in the fingertips in my kevlar 3 mil gloves last time gathering and had to spread some goop on them for next dive.
I’m going to get some leather gloves to pull over my right hand glove to minimize wear. The spines aren’t extremely sharp but you don’t want to bear down on them either. A deft quick touch seems to do the trick to flick them into the bag. Many times they are gripped down a rock. This is where the wear and tear comes from trying to get them loose with just dive gloves. I found that lightly touching them then giving them a twist works well to dislodge them. Better yet, I’ve been using an old abalone bar to break them loose then collect by hand. A big BFK (Big F’ing Knife) old school pig sticker strapped onto your inside calf works pretty good too.
I am considering using a small gardening rake as suggested by @Akimbo to rake them into the bag.
The faster the better.
After I get my limit I plan to go out for a fun adventure dive to sight see and or whatever I want, so as far as I’m concerned the faster I get my urchin limit the better.

This is the lift bag I got:
4B2C414E-4343-49CA-92F6-CD0356E48DD0.jpeg

Excellent thanks! I will start investigating my local hardware stores.
If they wore out your kevlar gloves, mine definitely would not work! I will try to get something more robust. Look forward to doing some urchin harvesting come Feb!

Nice, what a great rally thread, I've got all that stuff even a pickup, but I don't have a plane or a boat

Good diving!

Hi Eric,

One correction, you don"t need the ocean enhancement stamp unless you plan on going way down south.
Ocean Enhancement Validation$6.74Required to fish in ocean waters south of Point Arguello (Santa Barbara County). An Ocean Enhancement Validation is not required when fishing under the authority of a One or Two-Day Sport Fishing License.

Also, do you ever see dungeness crab when you're diving for urchins? I think it would be cool to get both urchins and crab.

Thanks,
Britt

One correction, you don"t need the ocean enhancement stamp unless you plan on going way down south.
Ocean Enhancement Validation$6.74Required to fish in ocean waters south of Point Arguello (Santa Barbara County). An Ocean Enhancement Validation is not required when fishing under the authority of a One or Two-Day Sport Fishing License.

Also, do you ever see dungeness crab when you're diving for urchins? I think it would be cool to get both urchins and crab.

Thanks,
Britt
oops! You’re right.
^^^this from @bperc, you only need a standard fishing license in our neck of the woods, my bad.

But I’ll use my ocean enhancement stamp anyway because I plan to go down south for some bug diving.

Dungeness crab 🦀
I have had limited success finding good spots for Dungees. I’ve heard stories about places, I’ve never been able to follow up on some of the leads. It’s either too rough to dive where they say they are, or I’m too busy and can’t dive the day the conditions are favorable at those paticular locations. It’s always something. Some of the spots I hear about are known to be shark infested too, so there’s that.
It’s mostly going to be dirty sand diving, south of the Russian River somewhere along the sonoma coast.
I think there is some truth to the stories and some mythology.
I’ve found them diving the jetties at Doran but they are not the big prized specimens. I can tell you they run like hell when they think they are going to be captured.
I’ve had much better luck getting red rock crabs when diving for urchins since they are abundant around rocky areas. but I have not given up on finding a good spot for Dungeness crabs.

How do you feel about having a couple of noobs-who-need-coaching tag along? My son and I would love to join, but we’ve never participated in urchin removal before.

More detail: My 11yo and I recently got OW certified, and we’ve started working on building up our experience (if these rains ever let up!). My wife and my best friend love uni, so this seems like a wonderful opportunity for us to go have some fun diving while bringing back something that everyone else will love. I’m hyper aware that we’re still working on the basics, so I’m completely open to feedback on how to know we‘re ready to participate in this type of dive.

Thanks!

How do you feel about having a couple of noobs-who-need-coaching tag along? My son and I would love to join, but we’ve never participated in urchin removal before.

More detail: My 11yo and I recently got OW certified, and we’ve started working on building up our experience (if these rains ever let up!). My wife and my best friend love uni, so this seems like a wonderful opportunity for us to go have some fun diving while bringing back something that everyone else will love. I’m hyper aware that we’re still working on the basics, so I’m completely open to feedback on how to know we‘re ready to participate in this type of dive.

Thanks!
I think this is perfect!
I would be very happy to show you guys how this is done, this is what it’s all about. If you’re not comfortable actually taking urchins the very first few dives with your son that is absolutely fine too, you can watch. When ever you feel ready to participate you can, no pressure.
Most of the diving is in very shallow water 8’-12’ right off the beach, so it’s not deep. It’s an excellent skill builder.
Before each dive session I always have a mini seminar at the site to explain things and answer questions.
Stay tuned and we’ll look for some dates that look like the ocean might lay down.
Right now there’s no way I would even consider it for a few weeks anyway. I can guarantee there is a huge mud line that stretches way offshore.

Back
Top Bottom