Oregon man shot in head while snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The guy pulled a little time. He was charged with a felony of possession of a firearm by convicted felon and a misdemeanor charge of reckless handling as I recall.
Nowadays the penalties are more severe. There are now mandatory minimum sentences for felons with guns.

I am not familiar with Oregon statutes, but this individual could be charged in state or federal court. BATF could adopt this case and run it through the federal system. Depending on the criminal record of the felon, if he had been convicted of violent crimes as opposed to forgeries or fraud, the feds may want him if they feel the case is sexy enough. Often the state laws may be more severe for a felon with non-violent felony convictions. I suppose the shooter in Oregon could be looking at being charged with possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, possession of a firearm while in possession of a Schedule 2 drug, and for the actual shooting of a person, which may be a felony or could be a misdemeanor charge. I am not sure about this last one as I am not versed on Oregon law.

Hopefully the victim will recover. In the unfortunate event he would die from this shooting, our felon could be in big time trouble. Most states have laws that make even an accidental death a murder if it was done during the commision of a felony. In this case the felony is the possession of a firearm by a felon, etc. The feds have a charge that carries a life sentence if a death occurred as a result of certain drug offenses.
I personally hope they throw the book at the guy, but to be honest with you, this was an act by an idiot methhead shooting at a target he had not properly identified vs. a rideby shooting or ripoff so he probably won't get maxed out. He also rendered aid, which is in his favor. A lot depends on his pre-sentence report.

FWIW, I believe that if I had been diving with a dive flag it may have given pause to the guy that shot at us to at least consider we weren't a school of fish. A dive flag is an important piece of gear to protect you not only physically, but legally in court if you should get struck by a boat or shot by an idiot.

james croft:
... if I had and survived it, I could lose the snorkel and breath through my blowhole.
You are one hard corps wacko!

Thalassamania:
You are one hard corps wacko!
When life hands you lemons, make lemonaid.

In 2003 I got hit by a load of #4 buckshot. The pellets are about .25 inches in diameter. Was not seriously hurt but had the bark knocked off me. Could have been bad, but as it was I did not even lose time from work. As a result, I was able to shed some lead from my weight belt, since I became my department's only weight integrated diver.

As an Oregonian, I can attest to the grand stupidity that can prevail here. On the other hand, there are plenty of us who would not shoot someone floating in a river on a whim.
There is a reason that Springfield Oregon is the muse for The Simpson's location...

A meth abuser will shoot at anything. They are super paranoid and all of them keep a gun handy. The locals where I work call them 'lab rats" because of all the toxins they put into their bodies. They make a crackhead look mellow.

james croft:
A meth abuser will shoot at anything. They are super paranoid and all of them keep a gun handy.

holy crapsmosis, a HUGE nutria armed with some sort of plastic death ray gun coming at me! shoot! shoot! shoot!

H2Andy:
holy crapsmosis, a HUGE nutria armed with some sort of plastic death ray gun coming at me! shoot! shoot! shoot!

Do enough meth and even H2Andy will look like a nutria. :wink:

downdeep:
Do enough meth and even H2Andy will look like a nutria. :wink:

a particularly handsome and er ... well-developed nutria

:eyebrow:

Shooter, "Honest officer it was self defense."
Officer, " how do you figure?"
Shooter, " He had a snorkel."
Office, "Did you eat lead paint chips as a kid?"

Ever wonder why lions eat their young?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back