Oregon man shot in head while snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a more complete story: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2003564471_webshot09.html

There's no defense for shooting at something that you are not 200% sure of what it is...but at least the shooter did render aid to the snorkeler. Probably tossed the gun into the water in disgust of his own actions.

I'm not against guns....I just don't think 90% of humans are responsible enough to have one. blah.

This story sucks for everyone involved. Hope the snorkeler recovers. Send good vibes to him.

No body has explained to me the snorkeling in feburary in Oregon am I missing something here??? Is this a hot spring or am I a www???????????

james croft:
When life hands you lemons, make lemonaid.

In 2003 I got hit by a load of #4 buckshot. The pellets are about .25 inches in diameter. Was not seriously hurt but had the bark knocked off me. Could have been bad, but as it was I did not even lose time from work. As a result, I was able to shed some lead from my weight belt, since I became my department's only weight integrated diver.

:rofl3: That rocks!! *toasting with a mug of JP-5* :coffee:

hey, i just realized what happened

recall the shooter had some weed on him, right?

so he sees this "nutria" with something ... made of glass? and long? in its mouth?

could it be. ..... a bong?

nutria with bong! dude! just what i need

so he opens fire

es601:
No body has explained to me the snorkeling in feburary in Oregon am I missing something here??? Is this a hot spring or am I a www???????????

no, i've wondered the same thing myself

i guess it's one of those things PNW people do ... like wear sandals in snow and use patchouli soap and stuff

There is something fishy about all of this...
But for those of you who are wondering about snorkling in Feb in a river in the Pacific Northwest and the existence of Nutria here in Oregon:

For three years, I was part of a group that made an annual pilrimage into the Millrace River on the University of Oregon campus. The entire point was to clean it out of the extensive amounts of CRAP that ended up in the river from the many frat houses it ran by. We would snorkle or dive in 0 vis black, dirty water and shift the garbage up to the surface and clean it up. Needless to say, I came face to face with several nasty (oversized) ratish- nutria. And yes, they were originally raised as a fur source close to beaver. It was quickly discovered that once the fur was removed from the animal, it would decompose- not like beaver fur at all. Nutria were then released into the wild where they have (seemingly) survived off of frat house garbage since.
The only known predator I can think of: a meth addict with a gun.

-Karin

H2Andy:
Originally Posted by es601

no, i've wondered the same thing myself

There is something very empowering about cold-water/cold-weather diving. Afterward you feel quite proud of what you've pulled off. You definitely feel a little more rugged than you did before. It puts some distance between you and the modern sliky-boy crowd.

-Ben

H2Andy:
one of the key tenets of gun safety is to always know your traget and what's beyond it

assuming an error here, this guy obviously did not make sure of what his target was, and shot with insufficient information about his target

:no
Bingo, charge the person responcible and send them to hell!

james croft:
Last year I posted an experience I had while snorkeling looking for sharks teeth and got shot at by a moron in a boat with a .22 rifle….

evad:
Wow. What happened to the knucklehead?

james croft:
The guy pulled a little time. He was charged with a felony of possession of a firearm by convicted felon and a misdemeanor charge of reckless handling as I recall.

…then he moved to Oregon…

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom