Oregon man shot in head while snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jcsgt:
I had no idea the little buggers knew martial arts :D .

martial arts? naw.... they're non-violent poetry spewing furry things... but apparently pretty good snorkelers in Oregon...

grassyknoll:
Really, who shoots at rodents in a river, is Oregon completely out of abandoned cars?

Probably more like popping prarie dogs back on the farm in CO. Plain ole rodent control.

However, I never shot a prarie dog who was using a snorkel.

As H2Andy stated, I'm always aware of my target, what's between me and my target, what's beyond my target, what's to the left of my target... THAT's gun control.

Jcsgt:
xxxxxxxx, 60, of Reedsport was arraigned Thursday in Douglas County Circuit Court on charges including second-degree assault, being a felon in possession of a firearm, and possession of methamphetamine and marijuana.

xxxx is accused of shooting 44-year-old xxxxxxxxx of Marcola once in the head as he snorkeled in the Smith River about 2 p.m. Tuesday.

I think I know what happened. A 60 yr. old, Ganja smoking speed freak acted in self defense when a turtle pointed a firearm (snorkel) at him.

Man, how tragic! More Sarah Brady ammo! I apologize for the ironic oxymoron.:D

Here's the actual story from the Oregonian Website:
Man accused of shooting snorkeler he thought was nutria
A Reedsport man thought a snorkeler was a
nutria swimming in the Smith River and shot him in the head, sheriff's officials said today.

William Roderick, 60, told police he shot John Chessman, 44, of Marcola, with a .22 -caliber rifle by mistake Tuesday afternoon, said Dwes Hutson, Douglas County sheriff's spokesman.

When Roderick realized he'd shot a person, he helped Chessman to shore and to help, Hutson said. Roderick was arrested and being held in the Douglas County Jail on allegations of second-degree assault, felon in possession of a weapon, and possession of methamphetamine and marijuana.

Chessman was in stable condition at OHSU Hospital in Portland.

I knew Mother Nature helped her critters adapt quickly to new environments, but never would I have thought she taught snorkeling lessons to large hairy rat like creatures! Most likely a drug deal gone bad!!

CatFishBob:
Here's the actual story from the Oregonian Website:
Man accused of shooting snorkeler he thought was nutria
A Reedsport man thought a snorkeler was a
nutria swimming in the Smith River and shot him in the head, sheriff's officials said today.

William Roderick, 60, told police he shot John Chessman, 44, of Marcola, with a .22 -caliber rifle by mistake Tuesday afternoon, said Dwes Hutson, Douglas County sheriff's spokesman.

When Roderick realized he'd shot a person, he helped Chessman to shore and to help, Hutson said. Roderick was arrested and being held in the Douglas County Jail on allegations of second-degree assault, felon in possession of a weapon, and possession of methamphetamine and marijuana.

Chessman was in stable condition at OHSU Hospital in Portland.
Well at least he didn't skin him out and put him on a hide stretcher after he capped him.
Last year I posted an experience I had while snorkeling looking for sharks teeth and got shot at by a moron in a boat with a .22 rifle. It occurred in the late 80's. I was diving with a state game warden at the time and I was a police officer. We arrested the guy that did it and no one was hurt, but this recent incident touched a nerve with me. Fortunately we were shot at from a long distance away and the knucklehead was in a moving boat but the rounds were impacting fairly close. He had seen the commotion in the water and our snorkels blasting spray and shot at what he described as "a school of fish". There was also a problem with the guy being a convicted felon w/firearm.
Glad I did not take one in the head, but if I had and survived it, I could lose the snorkel and breath through my blowhole.

james croft:
Well at least he didn't skin him out and put him on a hide stretcher after he capped him.
Last year I posted an experience I had while snorkeling looking for sharks teeth and got shot at by a moron in a boat with a .22 rifle. It occurred in the late 80's. I was diving with a state game warden at the time and I was a police officer. We arrested the guy that did it and no one was hurt, but this recent incident touched a nerve with me. Fortunately we were shot at from a long distance away and the knucklehead was in a moving boat but the rounds were impacting fairly close. He had seen the commotion in the water and our snorkels blasting spray and shot at what he described as "a school of fish". There was also a problem with the guy being a convicted felon w/firearm.
Glad I did not take one in the head, but if I had and survived it, I could lose the snorkel and breath through my blowhole.

Wow. What happened to the knucklehead?

james croft:

see, there is a silver lining to everything

:eyebrow:

james croft:

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Oh man... I'm laughing so hard it hurts... I'm gonna need to bring a pee valve to work if I keep reading this board.

Cheers:D

Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom