Oregon man shot in head while snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

downdeep:
You haven't seen blind officials til you've been in the SEC. :14:

Florida grads, every damn one of em.

question:

who is the national college football champion?

:fruit:

diver 85:
Maybe the 60 y.o. was just 'Duck' hunting & was a bad shot....maybe??...........hope things turn out OK for the vic.....

Bad shot? A bobbin' head is double-tough.

Here's the latest headline:

Smith River shooter mistook snorkeler for rodent
Posted: 2:47 PM, Thursday, February 8, 2007

REEDSPORT — A man charged with shooting a Smith River snorkeler in the head told detectives he mistook the swimmer for a nutria, the Douglas County Sheriff’s Office said.

xxxxxxxx, 60, of Reedsport was arraigned Thursday in Douglas County Circuit Court on charges including second-degree assault, being a felon in possession of a firearm, and possession of methamphetamine and marijuana.

He was being held in the Douglas County Jail in Roseburg on $700,000 bail.

xxxx is accused of shooting 44-year-old xxxxxxxxx of Marcola once in the head as he snorkeled in the Smith River about 2 p.m. Tuesday.

XXXx remained in serious condition Thursday in the cardiac intensive care unit at Oregon Science & Health University Hospital in Portland.

Eugene Register Guard

FWIW, I have never seen a nutria use a snorkel. That's not DIR.

Jcsgt:
XXXx remained in serious condition Thursday in the cardiac intensive care unit at Oregon Science & Health University Hospital in Portland.

well, at least he's not in critical condition. i hope he recovers fast

Jcsgt:
xxxxxxxx, 60, of Reedsport was arraigned Thursday in Douglas County Circuit Court on charges including second-degree assault, being a felon in possession of a firearm, and possession of methamphetamine and marijuana.

ok, guy is probably legally blind (60), was probably on meth and pot, and is not high on the I.Q. department (convicted felon)

so he probably thought the snorkel was a plastic straw the "nutria" was using to drink from the river

Thalassamania:
Okay, we were working in Nicaragua, one of our study sights was in a little lake (actually a flooded volcanic caldera) named Jiloa. We’d get there in the morning, each of us would toss two tanks on top of our surf mats along with a wetsuit top and our research supplies and we’d kick to the other end of the lake pushing our mats. When we got to our study site we’d toss that mats and extra tank and stuff on the steep rocky shore, strap gear up and get to work. After a couple of hours we’d be out of air and cold, so we’d surface. The water right at the surface was very warm so we’d strip off our wet suits, fins and booties and lie there luxuriating in the warm water while we performed behavioral watches on the fish in the shallow but deeply sloping water beneath us. With our water proof paper on our clipboards we’d do this for an hour or so. Then, warmed and refreshed we’d get out and have lunch. After lunch we’d strap on our second tank and get back to work. A few times a week we’d take our surf mats over at night to record what was going on then.

One day on our way back into Managua we stopped, as usual to buy La Prensa (the local newspaper) from a kid by the side of the road. I looked at the front page, it had a headline that read “Los Phantasmos de Jiloa.” (the Ghosts of Jiloa) and there was a photograph of the lake shore with an arrow pointing directly to our study site. I read on, loosely translated it said that some farmers had seen mysterious lights in the lake at night and when they came back the next day they found two dead bodies in the water, but could nor reach them because of the steep cliff. They report this to the police who went back with them, but no bodies were found. The next night the lights were back.

I saved the article and showed to the patriarch of the family we were staying with. I was having a bit of a chuckle but was not laughing, in point of fact he appeared quite concerned. He said, “I will have to do something about this,” and went out and got into his car.

He was not back until after supper. We talked a bit and I found out that he been to the police and through them had found the farmers and had talked with the farmers. It turns out that the disappearing bodies had embarrassed them with the police, they knew that the bodies were the “gouls” of the ghosts that they saw at night and the were planning to shoot the “gouls” with silver bullets so that they could not get away from them the next time that they went to the police.

Pretty weird, no?
You can't make this stuff up. Great story.

Jcsgt:
REEDSPORT — A man charged with shooting a Smith River snorkeler in the head told detectives he mistook the swimmer for a nutria
Nutria???
NUTRIA???
GMAB!
There ain't any nutria within a thousand miles of Oregon!
I can see it now... "Starving Katrina victim, etc..."
Rick

Rick Murchison:
Nutria???
NUTRIA???
GMAB!
There ain't any nutria within a thousand miles of Oregon!
I can see it now... "Starving Katrina victim, etc..."
Rick
Actually, we have quite a lot of nutria here, not that I believe that the shooter mistook a snorkeler for one. Somebody got the wild idea, many years ago, to raise them for fur. The fur trade for nutria did not take off, so the nutria were released into the wild.

vladimir:
You can't make this stuff up. Great story.
Every bit of it's true, I just forgotten so many things that happen that it takes a reminder to make the stories click back into place. The Bull Shark post combined with my moving the sculpture at home brought that shark story out and then thinking about Nicargua combined with someone shooting at a snorkler triggered this one. I guess there are a few more from that era that will trickle out over the next few days ...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom