Oregon man shot in head while snorkeling

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison:
Well I'll be hornswaggled! Looks like my distribution map's out of date. I knew they'd expanded dramatically - and unwelcome - along the northern Gulf of Mexico watershed, but I had no idea there was a population in Oregon! I've now updated my info and I see they're gettin' to be a PITA all over the country
nutria-Distribution-USGS.gif

Rick

Hey Rick:

I see Brown and Red on the map legend and a Sand and Red color on the map. Does that mean the states in sand color are not supposed to have nutria? Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency says it's open season on nutria here, so I reckon they must be here too...... But I've never seen any or talked to anyone that has seen them in TN.

And here's the story with MUGSHOT if you care to gaze upon his intelligent countenance:

http://www.katu.com/news/local/5692751.html

I HAVE met some divers around here that did bear a remarkable resemblence to rodent. They have a hard time getting their mask to seal around their furry faces.

Digger54:
Tennessee Wildlife Resources Agency says it's open season on nutria here, so I reckon they must be here too...... But I've never seen any or talked to anyone that has seen them in TN.

I'm originally from West Tennessee. They have them around Pickwick. Nasty little rodents. :light:

Fish_Whisperer:
See how there aren't any in Tennessee? That's 'cos down here, if it has fur and moves, we shoot and eat it. "A Country Boy Can Survive" :D
er ... y'all shoot it an' et it.

my wife's stories about her dad (from central Tennessee) usually being:

and then, outin the woods, he saw the most amazing thing!

and end:

and then he shot it

Fish_Whisperer:
See how there aren't any in Tennessee? That's 'cos down here, if it has fur and moves, we shoot and eat it.

Naw, you don't eat em. Too greasy. You can hit em with your car though. Have a good game of Sail Nutria.

Those nutria can be very aggressive. I've actually seen a couple of them literally attack the tires of slow-moving vehicles.

As far as the guy snorkeling in the cold river, I'm wondering if that section of river is gold-bearing (a lot of those areas in southern Oregon). The snorkeler may have been "sniping" for gold nuggets (looking in cracks of the bedrock where nuggets may have dropped down). Of course I don't know the depth of the river, etc.

As far as the shooter goes, he may have been protecting something he had hidden in the area (God only knows what this could be, considering the dude's record and charges on arrest). We will probably never really know the truth.

Well guys I just stumbled across this and thought I might clear it up a little.

My very dear friend is the victim in this terrible incident. He is a great person with a wonderful family. He is an outstanding citizen and member of the community here in Eugene, Springfield, Marcola Oregon. He is in endeared by all he meets from Oregon to around the globe. He just recently retired from owning a second generation dive store to be a stay at home dad with his 3 children. He is smart, loving, adventurous, and is someone that will do anything for anyone. It is really hard to believe this happened. Just last week we were vacationing with the families, playing in the snow and watching all of our kids have a great time. Next minute we're staying up late losing sleep as we wait to hear each detail of his progress. I guess you just never know what will happen.

His passion is and always has been the water. He is still an avid scuba diver, spearfisherman, and freediver. Whether it be the local lakes, Pacific ocean, rivers or warm waters of Mexico and beyond, he is always calling for the water. In fact he is always trying to steal me away from work to go dive somewhere. We've been trying to plan our next trip to his casa in baja or taking his boat 60 miles off the Oregon coast to spear Albacore tuna. He is non stop adventuring. Unfortunately most of the time I have to turn him down.

He was on one of his latest adventures of freediving in the Smith river. While yes it's cold he was in a wetsuit and has the tolerance to the cold like a Weddel sealion. While in the water he was shot in the head near his ear by a 22 from a complete knucklehead on drugs. It is still speculation why this guy took the shot but I'm sure in time it will come out. My friend is recovering in a large hospital in Portland. He has some serious nerve damage creating difficulty swallowing, partial paralysis of one side of his face, some hearing loss, speech impairment, as well as trouble blinking one eye. He underwent surgery yesterday attempting to repair some of the nerve damage caused by the fragmented bullet and bone. It appears that the procedure was successful, as he is already experiencing some improvement.

While we are all confident he will recover to mostly normal and continue to live a great life; the tragedy is it will come with some sacrifice. It is still unclear as to whether he will be able to continue diving. This will be terribly sad should it be true. As of now he is in pretty good spirits despite this recent event, but I know it will be a tough pill to swallow if he is exempt from the activity he loves most. I'm pretty sure most of you don't know him, but please keep him in your thoughts and if inclined give him a prayer for a speedy and full recovery.

Best regards,

Back
Top Bottom