Orca Bait January Dive

Alki or Les Davis?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JasonH20:
Was that part of a ship? Hmm, couldn't really tell what I was looking under, but the GPO was tucked way back underneath it. We only went to about 50ft, so I didn't get a chance to see the other GPO :(

Is there a map of the landmarks at Seacrest? I couldn't find anything searching with google?

The Honey Bear was an old boat that has since deteriorated to the point where it's barely recognizable as such. You would've been at about 35 feet, looking under a structure that loomed maybe 8 feet above you ... with a group of pilings sticking up off the ground at a slight angle on your left. If you follow those pilings out to the end you'll be about 10 feet off the bottom at about 40 feet. Closer at hand (also on the left of the octopus den) would be something that looked like part of a boat cabin, with holes where windows or large portholes used to be. The octopus would have been tucked under the right-most part of the structure (which is the bow of the Honey Bear), back sufficiently that it needed a light to see.

There is a map of landmarks of Seacrest ... you can see it, and possibly get a copy, at the dive shop up the street (Deep Fathom).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

cove2.gif

Hmmm ... nice map, but some parts are not accurate ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

This is a great map!! .... a couple things missing...like the rock pile...and downtown Seattle sure is close. :) I had no idea that Olive's den was going to become famous. She was one cool octopus! If my boat dive gets cancelled on Saturday, Jan. 22nd I would be happy to dive Cove II. If that's where it ends up.

Seattlescubagirl:
This is a great map!! .... a couple things missing...like the rock pile...and downtown Seattle sure is close. :) I had no idea that Olive's den was going to become famous. She was one cool octopus! If my boat dive gets cancelled on Saturday, Jan. 22nd I would be happy to dive Cove II. If that's where it ends up.

A few minor corrections ...

- The left-most "bundle of 3+ logs" are actually situated right alongside the boundary rope, just before it turns a bit west of north.
- The "bundle of 3+ logs" that contains Olive's Den is situated perpendicular to the first bundle, with the end of the logs just about 25 feet from middle section of the first bundle.
- There's a third bundle situated between Olive's pilings and the I-beams ... about where the map shows Olive's pilings to be (at 95-105 fsw).
- The train wheels are only about 15 feet above the plates (just a few feet northwest of the boundary cable at about 65 fsw).
- The small boat is situated upslope from the "yellow" buoy.
- I'm not sure about this completely, but if memory serves when we put the I-beam rope down it followed a heading of 20-degrees, not 60 (I might be misremembering that one).
- The elevated jackstraw pilings below the Honey Bear actually terminate at the bow of the H.B.
- The orientation of the H.B. should be rotated about 90 degrees ... the bow actually points pretty close to west.
- The small wall (#8) is actually situated at the end of the "rip rap rock wall".

It is a very nice map ... and I'm glad someone put that much effort into it ... but if it were tweaked a bit, it would be much nicer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Dont mean to get off topic here, but it would be a heck of a idea if a few of us actually went down to some of these sites, like Three Tree etc.... with slates and made some UW maps. I've got photoshop at home and can do maps and things.

Be sorta like our gift to the NW diving community.
I know more maps exist, but dont know how many times I've dived some of those things and got lost or missdirected because the maps were inaccurate.

I'd like to dive with you guys on the 22nd. Bob will you be bringing your DSS BP with you? Maybe we can talk about getting me a bit more competent.

Thanks - Toby

Fireboat57:
I'd like to dive with you guys on the 22nd. Bob will you be bringing your DSS BP with you? Maybe we can talk about getting me a bit more competent.

Thanks - Toby

Yep, I'll let you try out the DSS system ... the backplate is 11 lbs, so you can remove that much from your weightbelt as a starting point.

Let's plan on buddying up that day and I can see how you dive. Then we can talk about what you might want to do to improve your skills.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

NWGratefulDiver:
A few minor corrections ...

- The left-most "bundle of 3+ logs" are actually situated right alongside the boundary rope, just before it turns a bit west of north.
- The "bundle of 3+ logs" that contains Olive's Den is situated perpendicular to the first bundle, with the end of the logs just about 25 feet from middle section of the first bundle.
- There's a third bundle situated between Olive's pilings and the I-beams ... about where the map shows Olive's pilings to be (at 95-105 fsw).
- The train wheels are only about 15 feet above the plates (just a few feet northwest of the boundary cable at about 65 fsw).
- The small boat is situated upslope from the "yellow" buoy.
- I'm not sure about this completely, but if memory serves when we put the I-beam rope down it followed a heading of 20-degrees, not 60 (I might be misremembering that one).
- The elevated jackstraw pilings below the Honey Bear actually terminate at the bow of the H.B.
- The orientation of the H.B. should be rotated about 90 degrees ... the bow actually points pretty close to west.
- The small wall (#8) is actually situated at the end of the "rip rap rock wall".

It is a very nice map ... and I'm glad someone put that much effort into it ... but if it were tweaked a bit, it would be much nicer.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
I love it!!! So, you've done almost as many (or more) dives at Cove II as I have! And if anyone is up for making maps, I would be interested. :11ztongue

Seattlescubagirl:
I love it!!! So, you've done almost as many (or more) dives at Cove II as I have! :11ztongue

I've spent a bit of time there ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom