Opinions on DAN

What do you think about DAN dive insurance?

• You don't have it yet?!

Votes: 42 29.8%
  • It's good protection.

Votes: 91 64.5%
  • It's really not worth the money.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • They are frauds and will just keep your money.

Votes: 2 1.4%
  • There are better dive insurance options.

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ti325v have you ever had to use DAN outside your home country? DAN organises all that stuff like helicopters and all that jazz. I know as I have had friends who have had to be brought home from overseas due to dive accidents.

I wouldn't need DAN insurance if I only dived in Australia as Medicare (the universal health coverage system here) covers any medical bills and ambulance cover covers any emergency transportation. However as I travel overseas to dive I have the midrange cover. Next year I will take out top insurance coverage through DAN as I am going to the USA... (as well as normal travel insurance of course).

Only heard good things about DAN myself. So I don't think you will go wrong getting it.

Can be a bit of a haggle regarding service reimbursement/disbursement issues between your primary health care insurance from your employer, and DAN --especially if your HBOT (Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy) was performed outside the US. DAN requires that you file your claim with you primary carrier first, and that's when the red tape headache begins: be prepared with receipts, hospital & treatment bills, insurance statements and various bureaucratic contact info as you will be the middle man in what may be a year's worth of email/snail-mail correspondence. . .

Last edited:
The one time I had occasion to call the DAN emergency line I got an answering machine. I had to call the European number to get a human being on the phone. I signed up for Dive Assure the next day. I still maintain my DAN insurance but I no longer depend on it.

There are at least two DAN's. One is the insurance side which I think probably has value equivalent to any insurance. You pay, but hope you never use the benefit.

The other DAN is its research effort which, as a scientist myself, I do not hold in very high respect. DAN has an annual research budget of over $1,000,000, but produces very little in the way of authoritative, peer-reviewed publications. For example, how long has the flying-after-diving study based on analysis of actual computer-recorded dive profiles been ongoing with nothing to show for results? This is a worthy research project that has never been completed.

No company is perfect. The good stories I've heard far outweigh the bad. I'm covered by DAN and it's time for me to renew which I will in the next week.

As an instructor I have had to deal with DAN on a number of occaisions. I have had to deal with some very serious injuries and have had the good fortune to know some of the DAN asia pacific staff personally.

Bear in mind that DAN is actually several different companies operating under the same brand name, due to the difference in the way and by whom their insurance policies are underwritten. They are not perfect, but find me a company that is perfect and I will shave my hair for charity.

A friend of mine was killed in a motorcycle accident in Thailand and DAN did everything - contacting the embassies, arranging for Mike's body to be flown home, daily calls to his mother, everything.

They are brilliant, and whilst I know for sure that people (including myself) have had problems dealing with them, I will not hear a word said against them. For research purposes, they have a very limited budget, but for insurance purposes, at least in my meagre six years of experience, I have encountered nobody better.

Plink plink goes my two dollars and for the price you pay and what you get - for sure you are in good hands. I know this for a fact.

Cheers,

C.

I need an Option #6
  • Used to have DAN Insurance until they suddenly withdrew coverage from everyone outside of US and Canada. The *&$^#@s.
Still haven't quite forgiven them for hanging me out to dry with no notice whatever. DAN do good work, but that is no way to make friends and influence people.

I won't even take a shower if I'm not covered by DAN. For less than $200 a year, it removes any reason for me to put off a chamber ride. Amazing deal.

Hi all,
Let me clarify....In my location the chopper is paid in cash upon patient pick up. DAN cannot do that !
My insurer has agreed to prepay it. If you dive a lot, DAN is a fair value, but if you are like 70% of my customers with NO insurance...and you dive 4 days a year, you can spend $5 or $70 a year for DAN.
You cannot get on my boat without insurance, DAN can take three days to process an application....
Want to go for a fun dive with me on saturday ? better have made arrangements with DAN a week before.
Who is covering your DSD`s and students and THE VAST majority of divers who have no insurance. I have all of DAN`s literature....no coverage.....Being in the business and having to accommodate walk ins, who have not dived in 5-10 years.....I have insurance for you NOW !
Not next week after you have left the island.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom