Opinions? Best drysuit under $1200.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divedoggie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
:lightingz
After all of the O'neill drysuit input, I thought maybe people might just want to really open the doors. Some think neoprene sucks, others like it because you don't need all the insulating underwear. Trilam, bilam, goretex, rubber. Everyone I dove with on Vancouver Island used something different and swore that it was the best! I am going to save some money. Next spring I will buy a new drysuit. I will be using it both locally in fresh water 40 - 50 degrees, and 45 - 55 degree temps in saltwater when I'm in BC and Oregon. Budget.....$1200 or less.

Check dive shops in your area on prices on custom suits.. and believe me when I say that quality underwear is more important than the drysuit itself. Pay the extra for the good, custom fit underwear and save money on the drysuit.

About 6-7 years ago I paid $900 for a Diamond self entry trilam that had a wonderful set of Si-tech valves, heavy duty seals, kevlar knee pads and the most robust zipper I have ever seen on a dry suit. The fabric was much heavier than a TLS-350 and the suit was more durable in general but at half the price of a similar DUI suit. In my opinion, for a DUI suit, you are paying about $1000 for the patch on the shoulder.

And despite a very positive expereince with my Diamond trilam, after diving both styles I do really prefer a neoprene suit.

And after bad mouthing DUI suits in general for being over priced I have to say I am more than a little interested in their CNse compressed neoprene suit and it slides in just under the $1200 mark at $1198.00.

There's a sale at Ocean Quest in Vancouver for a White's Nexus 2 with fleece, boots, gloves, bag for 1199 Cdn.

Bare Nex-gen is a fantastic entry level suit. I have about 90 dives on it, and it's doing great. But as recommended, the undergarment is worth investing in. I was sold a T100, which is basically useless in those water temperatures. I recently purchased a DUI 400 weight. I'm toasty now. Also, investing in drygloves is worth it.

A buddy just bought a new nex-gen, undergarment, drygloves, hood, trek boots... THink the total after tax was about $1200 CDN.

The Whites Nexus is fantastic. Everything you need, durable, lightweight. Theres a package for $1200 (see above) that includes the suit, thermals, boots, hood, socks and a very nifty drysuit bag / backpack with a separate compartment for your dry stuff. Probably the best value I've ever seen, and they are outstanding suits.

Send a PM to Bob3 and check his prices for Poseidon (neoprene) and Viking (basically shell suits with different material options). I wouldn't consider either "entry level" and even custom fitted, Bob should be able to meet your budget.

Divedoggie:
:lightingz
After all of the O'neill drysuit input, I thought maybe people might just want to really open the doors. Some think neoprene sucks, others like it because you don't need all the insulating underwear. Trilam, bilam, goretex, rubber. Everyone I dove with on Vancouver Island used something different and swore that it was the best! I am going to save some money. Next spring I will buy a new drysuit. I will be using it both locally in fresh water 40 - 50 degrees, and 45 - 55 degree temps in saltwater when I'm in BC and Oregon. Budget.....$1200 or less.

Referencing the previous topic of discussion....keep in mind the O'Neill is $450 if you shop around. Thermals will cost you $150 - $200. Part of my interest in the O'Neill was the bang for the buck. There are suits that are better than the O'Neill, no question, but I have not yet found a suit that offers the same bang for the buck.

--Matt

I have looked into products on www.usia.com, www.divetank.com, and www.sportextreme.com, as well as the packages from scubatoys and leisurepro. When I took my drysuit specialty course, I used a brand new size ML DUI TLS 350 trilam. At the end of the course I was given the choice to buy the suit for $1800. Ouch!
SO, thanks for your opinions so far.... Unfortunately, with no LDS, I can't just go dive different suits. I have to base my decision on research, advise, value, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom