Seaskin Ultra drysuit review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,
I got an Ultra recently and it looks like there are quite a lot of loose threads on the back of it after only doing 4 freshwater dives. See pic:
View attachment 781816

Has anyone else experienced similar? Does anyone have a recommendation on what to do with this? The suit works great otherwise but I'm concerned that this could become a lot worse if it's not dealt with.

I haven’t noticed anything like that, I thing a quick pass over with a lighter would clean it up, you may want to inspect what ever gear sits over that area for sharp edges.

since you’re in the UK why not ask them about this?

I haven’t noticed anything like that, I thing a quick pass over with a lighter would clean it up, you may want to inspect what ever gear sits over that area for sharp edges.

since you’re in the UK why not ask them about this?
Thanks, I've shot them an email. I do have a bit of harness end that sits over that area and is a bit hard. So I suppose that could be the reason but if that's the case then this suit is more fragile than I thought.

Thanks, I've shot them an email. I do have a bit of harness end that sits over that area and is a bit hard. So I suppose that could be the reason but if that's the case then this suit is more fragile than I thought.
Nylon ends that have been melted to seal and not flattened can be surprisingly sharp, rub that end over your lips to get an idea of how sharp it is.

Old post but bumping anyway! Any new updates on dives with the ultra? I’m looking at buying one as well and all reviews are looking good. Also anything you would do different with extra dives on that suit. Also never owned a dry suit yet

I've had the suit just over 4 years now. I've done 82 dives (67 hours dive time) in it. Between having (currently) 3 drysuits and preferring to dive dry, I have not dived it a LOT. 29 of those dives were cave dives in FL.

For ME, it is about the perfect suit for cave diving. Warm enough on its own to only need very minimal undergarments in FL cave temps (70 - 72F or so). And (mine), with no wrist rings, it is just great for that (and in general).

On my last trip to FL, I noticed that my neoprene neck seal was starting to let a squirt of water in any time I really craned my head around to look behind/beside me. That is the only issue I have had with the suit, except for the initial issues I had when it was brand new (one boot leaking through the sole).

The original neoprene seal was glued in. So, it is currently at a drysuit repair place having the glued-in neo seal replaced with a Si Tech Orust neck system and a Waterproof neoprene replaceable neck seal. If ordered this suit again, I think I would still get neoprene wrist seals, but get either the Quick Neck or Orust system for the neck, and order a Waterproof neo neck seal separately.

The zipper is brass and still seems to be in good shape. I really do wish they offered a plastic zipper option, but they still don't. That is the only thing about the suit that actually annoys me. It is SO much stiffer to open/close than a plastic zipper!

I got it with attached boots. At the time, they didn't have the Tech boots. Now, it seems that is the only attached boot option. I like the Tech boot just fine.

An advantage of attached socks is the ability to turn the whole suit inside out for drying.

I would get it with the boots again. If you do so, I really recommend to get a pair of the Seaskin Drysuit Driers. It's two bags of dessicant. You can drop them down into the boots and they will dry out well by the next morning. When the dessicant bags get saturated, you can microwave them to restore them and keep using them.

Old post but bumping anyway! Any new updates on dives with the ultra? I’m looking at buying one as well and all reviews are looking good. Also anything you would do different with extra dives on that suit. Also never owned a dry suit yet
I've had my Ultra since October '22, you can see my build here. It's based around @stuartv mission statement of "The primary purpose for having this suit is for diving in water temps that are not cold enough to need dry gloves. If it's cold enough to need dry gloves, I will wear my trilam and also have plenty of room underneath for thick undergarments. If it's warm enough to not need dry gloves, then I figure a compressed neoprene suit will also let me get away with minimal undergarments. I.e. I wanted to be able to use it like a wetsuit, but be dry and warmer."

I find it perfect for Socal boat diving in the 50-60°F range, dives like a 5mil wetsuit but warmer. I bought the 150 weight undergarment with the suit but so far just a base layer and fleece top have been sufficient.

Doing it again, I would eliminate the "convenience zipper", just doesn't work well in a neoprene suit, and just get the unbalanced pee-valve. Also, as carefully as I measured and specified my foot size the attached sock is too long. Not a big deal but shouldn't happen with a made to measure suit.

Funny that the Nova thread has 13x more posts than the Ultra thread. I wonder if that reflects the ordering ratio.

And just like that a sub $800 drysuit shows up in the mail!

IMG_3763.JPG

Mine is barebones to keep it within budget, opting for compressed neoprene because of cost and future diving environments. Looking at PNW US/Canada in the near future, hopefully Ireland/UK and Scandanavia further on. I opted away from additional pockets as I already keep the items people usually store in those in minimalist pouches attached to my BC.

The add ons I opted for:

crotch and shoulder reinforcements bc I dive a Hogarthian BPW
computer keepers
HD seals
Neoprene boots
collar keeper to help w hoods in the future
neoprene seal covers

I'm impressed with the fit, and tried it on with my underlayers (as best I could, I still need to trim the neck to get it all the way over. My leggings still have some room for thicker layers), and it seems to fit fine. I used true measurements w/o fudging and they added an appropriate amount of excess. I was worried that the booties wouldn't fit, but they're spot on. Sadly my wetsuit booties are a bit snug, so I'll probably be grabbing some new ones. Overall the build quality is impressive with reinforced stitching in the places I'd hope to see it.

I'll be taking it out here shortly, hopefully this week. I've got about a month or so before we get into 3mm weather for a bit and then into board-shorts and a rash-guard season for 6 months.

Pretty excited, wish me luck trimming neck seals!

☑️ neck seal successfully trimmed to size w no jagged edges

☑️ smeared wax all over a zipper correctly

☑️ did a course w a local instructor on a day that could only be described as “Seattle AF.”

Gotta say after spending a day diving in my Ultra…. ***k a 5mm even. Anything less than 3mm temps and I’m gonna be sad if I’m not in my drysuit.

This suit feels awesome as hell in the water. Went on a couple 45 min dives in 69F (nice) water was a whole new experience. It was odd my brain spent a while being confused that it wasn’t wet and chilly even though it knew it should be.

It paired really nicely with my waterproof G2 3mm gloves. Their seal pairs really nicely with the drysuit seal for pretty much no discernible water movement in/ out of the gloves.

For thermals I used some army Gen III ECWCS waffle top& bottom and found them to be tremendously comfortable.

all in all I’m very satisfied with this suit and can’t wait to dive it again

☑️ neck seal successfully trimmed to size w no jagged edges

☑️ smeared wax all over a zipper correctly

☑️ did a course w a local instructor on a day that could only be described as “Seattle AF.”

Gotta say after spending a day diving in my Ultra…. ***k a 5mm even. Anything less than 3mm temps and I’m gonna be sad if I’m not in my drysuit.

This suit feels awesome as hell in the water. Went on a couple 45 min dives in 69F (nice) water was a whole new experience. It was odd my brain spent a while being confused that it wasn’t wet and chilly even though it knew it should be.

It paired really nicely with my waterproof G2 3mm gloves. Their seal pairs really nicely with the drysuit seal for pretty much no discernible water movement in/ out of the gloves.

For thermals I used some army Gen III ECWCS waffle top& bottom and found them to be tremendously comfortable.

all in all I’m very satisfied with this suit and can’t wait to dive it again

Put a replaceable neoprene neck seal in there and it will be the Ultimate!

I just got mine back from having the sewn/glued-in neo neck seal replaced with an Orust neck system and a replaceable neo neck seal.

I did a couple of dives in it last week.

It was awesome before and it is still awesome. The water was 58 - 60F. All I wore under it was the Seaskin Tech base and some heavyweight Merino wool long johns and I was totally comfortable. The only thing cold was my hands - because I wore no gloves (all my gloves are black and I wanted my student to be able to see my hands) - and they weren't THAT cold thanks to the rest of me being so toasty. (And yes! Those Waterproof 3mm gloves are the bomb!)

I do still wear a 5mm wetsuit often. Generally, if the water is 70F or warmer, I'll wear my 5mm, up until about 80 degrees F. Below 70, I'll go dry. Even at 72 I'll go dry if it's going to be a long dive - i.e. more than, say 90 minutes.

The Ultra is pretty much the perfect suit - to ME - for those temps from around 55 or so, up into the 70s. Minimal undies needed and the suit fits like a loose wetsuit.

Back
Top Bottom