Opinion on the following 2 dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not nitrox certified nor do i think i will be getting that certification any time soon (I mainly vacation with non divers .. this will be an exception so normally limited to 2 to 3 dives a year) so nitrox isn't a primary concern at least for a few years.

Does the lack of a back light on the Veo a serious issue? Does it cause problems in seeing under water?
Not at all. In low light/night dives just use your dive light to view the screen.

if you don't dive in these conditions, it is a nonissue anyway. But if you get the oppotumity, do at least one night dive while in Bonaire.

edit. Given the additional dive history from Arsalan Ahmed, I again recommend the simplest and easiest to operate. Less to learn and relearn between dives.

Absolutely agree. That's a good deal. If the advanced feature is not worth 80 dollars to you then buy the Leonardo. Or better yet, the Veo and save even more. It's all just personal preference.

Pitting the Giotto against the Petrel? Seriously?

No, putting the giotto against tech. diving: if I ever get into that, I'd be tempted to get an $800 tech. computer and $260 worth of, say, malt scotch. Rather than an $800 tech. computer and $260 "lite-tek" computer.

So giotto has to have a deeper limit, then: leonardo's manual says it'll switch to "game over" mode (or something along those lines) if it gets below 40m in the dive mode.

No, putting the giotto against tech. diving: if I ever get into that, I'd be tempted to get an $800 tech. computer and $260 worth of, say, malt scotch. Rather than an $800 tech. computer and $260 "lite-tek" computer.

So giotto has to have a deeper limit, then: leonardo's manual says it'll switch to "game over" mode (or something along those lines) if it gets below 40m in the dive mode.
Seriously! Thanks for adding that bit of info. So single button for complex data entry, single gas, slaps your hand below 40 m? No way! Not at half the price. Or free. (Giotto depth rated to 120 m) But again, that is specific to MY dive needs. Your mileage may vary.

To me, being in that area, there is a huge grey region between entry level DC's and full on tech. Unless I go timix, not happening, there is no advantage to the Petrel or like computer for the three times plus cost except for the cool factor. FOR ME. And you were hesitant to spend 80 for mixed gas? I admit that I don't get your rationale that there is no middle ground modest cost option. You do know that a tech computer is not even required for tech. Deco program and tables if you don't need to ride a computer through deco.

If you want the specifics on the Giotto...

http://www.cressi.com/easyUp/file/instructions/IB_Giotto_EN.pdf

Now one day if I hit Full Tech cave...
then the Giotto goes to gauge mode...

Last edited:
I rented the oceanic on my first trip to Bonaire and then bought the Leonardo on Black Friday based on the scuba lab reviews for my second trip to Bonaire. The Leonardo does have an alarm. Honestly they both worked fine for me and while I used to pine for a fancier computer - I am happy with the basic one I have which works for me and let's me put the extra funds in the go diving jar. I am not saying I won't eventually upgrade, but I don't see it an absolute necessity at this point in my diving career.
I am still diving with my first computer(Aladin Pro) which I bought it back in 1996. I will replace it if it dies!

Dmaziuk where in the Leonardo owners manual does it give the "game over" information? Do mean the warning box about gage mode?

Seriously! Thanks for adding that bit of info. So single button for complex data entry, single gas, slaps your hand below 40 m? No way! Not at half the price. Or free. (Giotto depth rated to 120 m)

In dive mode? -- the manual doesn't spell it out. Leonardo's rated to 120m in gauge mode, too, but it's an entry-level DC so in dive mode it slaps your wrist if you exceed the entry-level limit. I don't think that's unreasonable.

I admit that I don't get your rationale that there is no middle ground modest cost option. You do know that a tech computer is not even required for tech. Deco program and tables if you don't need to ride a computer through deco.

I think when you subtract the cost of the bells and whistles that come built-in, like the compass and PC uplink, the price gets much closer to the "modest cost" bracket than it looks at first.

I do know you can dive with a watch and a depth gauge, but for my style I prefer the watch and the gauge hooked-up to a microprocessor together, so that's not the point. The point of my question was I was trying to figure out what's the giotto's intended use is. I got it: if you want to go below the rec limit and deco on pure oxygen, but don't wanna go full tech.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom