Opinion on the following 2 dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One button gets you all the information necessary to plan and conduct a dive safely. The 2nd button is essential to operate the bells and whistles.

One button gets you all the information necessary to plan and conduct a dive safely. The 2nd button is essential to operate the bells and whistles.
The other advantage of the multibutton feature is the ability to move forward and backward in the menu.

Besides the basics offered by the Leonardo, the Giotto adds a deep stop option, 2 safety factor settings and the ability to dive with a second gas.

I do recall a second negative of the Cressi. The backlight is a pain to activate and generally pretty weak. But it's the only computer I have had that as a backlight so can not compare to other DC's.

Deep stop: check.
Conservatism factor: 0, 1, or 2.
Second gas: what do you mean? Leonardo goes to 50% nitrox which last I heard was all you need for rec. diving. ISTR seeing 100% nitrox in giotto description, that's why I was wondering maybe it has other "tek" features.

The screen sucks but a) giotto's doesn't look any different on the photos and b) it's not super amoled in this price bracket anyway so whaddya expect.

I rented the oceanic on my first trip to Bonaire and then bought the Leonardo on Black Friday based on the scuba lab reviews for my second trip to Bonaire. The Leonardo does have an alarm. Honestly they both worked fine for me and while I used to pine for a fancier computer - I am happy with the basic one I have which works for me and let's me put the extra funds in the go diving jar. I am not saying I won't eventually upgrade, but I don't see it an absolute necessity at this point in my diving career.

Deep stop: check.
Conservatism factor: 0, 1, or 2.
Second gas: what do you mean? Leonardo goes to 50% nitrox which last I heard was all you need for rec. diving. ISTR seeing 100% nitrox in giotto description, that's why I was wondering maybe it has other "tek" features.

The screen sucks but a) giotto's doesn't look any different on the photos and b) it's not super amoled in this price bracket anyway so whaddya expect.
True. The features, including deep stops and safety factors may be considered tech-ish by some. The second gas is a definite step into tech. The Giotto, Geo 2.0, DG03 are all DC's that I think of as rec/tech, not full technical computers but rather the dive industry's attempt to meet the needs of the so called lite tech divers. They allow a diver to program and dive with two different gas mixes (in the case of the Giotto the max O2 is 99) for accelerated deco. If a diver later gets a more fully technical computer, they can be placed in gauge mode.

Not sure about the "screen sucks." I have some pretty mean presbyopia and have no problems reading the screen.

Last edited:
I actually like both the Leonardo and the Veo 100nx. However depending on what your expectations are the Leonardo does have more to offer but if you are just looking for a basic computer that does nitrox then Veo 100nx for $179.95 w/ free shipping is the a much better deal.

True. The added features, including deep stops and safety factors may be considered tech-ish by some. The second gas is a definite step into tech. The Giotto, Geo 2.0, DG03 are all DC's that I think of as rec/tech, not full technical computers but rather the dive industry's attempt to meet the needs of the so called lite tech divers. They allow a diver to program and dive with two different gas mixes (in the case of the Giotto the max O2 is 99) for accelerated deco. If a diver later gets a more fully technical computer, they can be placed in gauge mode.

Not sure about the "screen sucks." I have some pretty mean presbyopia and have no problems reading the screen.

I've had no problems reading the screen in the Caribbean, incl. at night with the backlight, but it's not a high-contrast bright amoled screen of the pertel and such.

As for "lite-tek", LeisurePro's (just as a reference point) best deal on leonardo is $260 with the $80 usb cradle, so that's $180 for the computer. The giotto is $250 computer only. I'm not sure 30% price difference counts as "very little extra" for the extra features that -- let's face it, if you want to go tek, get a pertel.

I've had no problems reading the screen in the Caribbean, incl. at night with the backlight, but it's not a high-contrast bright amoled screen of the pertel and such.

As for "lite-tek", LeisurePro's (just as a reference point) best deal on leonardo is $260 with the $80 usb cradle, so that's $180 for the computer. The giotto is $250 computer only. I'm not sure 30% price difference counts as "very little extra" for the extra features that -- let's face it, if you want to go tek, get a pertel.
Absolutely agree. That's a good deal. If the advanced feature is not worth 80 dollars to you then buy the Leonardo. Or better yet, the Veo and save even more. It's all just personal preference.

Pitting the Giotto against the Petrel? Seriously?

the Leonardo gets you all the way up to 50% O2 *yawn*. Giotto -deco on pure O2. Massively useful.

Both offer RGBM ascents. I happen to like that profile. Personal choice.

The Giotto is a cheap, functional, kinda "tech" DC that allows you to deco on pure O2. Bought one for easy "tech light" deco dives. Love it. Just my .02

YMMV...

I'm not nitrox certified nor do i think i will be getting that certification any time soon (I mainly vacation with non divers .. this will be an exception so normally limited to 2 to 3 dives a year) so nitrox isn't a primary concern at least for a few years.

Does the lack of a back light on the Veo a serious issue? Does it cause problems in seeing under water?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom