Opinion on the following 2 dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which would be the very first thing I would disable.
Agreed but they wouldn't let you. But at least they are relative subtle alarms.

Amazon.com : Oceanic Veo 100 NX Wrist Air/Nitrox Dive Computer : Digital Diving Gauges : Sports & Outdoors

and

Amazon.com : Cressi Leonardo Dive Computer Watch -Wrist (Black / Blue ) : Digital Diving Gauges : Sports & Outdoors

I'm primarily thinking about buying a dive computer because i'm contemplating my first trip ever to Bonaire which will be unguided and probably 3 dives a day (which I've never done). In light of this, I wanted something around that helped identify

- Depth
- Bottom times
- Surface intervals
- Help with navigation (though i dont think either of the 2 i just linked provide that)
- Keep a log

Do you guys have an opinion on those 2? I realize there are better dive computers out there but given the cost of this trip, my budget is probably limited to no more than 300 US, if not lower.

Thanks

Arsi

My opinion on the two dive computers. First, on the first computer you listed:
It's not a Shearwater Petrel. My opinion is, don't buy your first chance.

Secondly, My opinion on your second dive computer: It's not a Shearwater Petrel. My Opinion is, don't buy your second choice. :D :D :D

I prefer Oceanic computers because of their liberal algorithm. They don;t steal bottom time from me with no discernible safety benefit.

But, with Bonaire as your destination, you could save the $$ and delay the purchase until you are sure of what you want/need. Bonaire is a destination that can be dove just as well on tables as it can with a computer. With very few exceptions, there is little need to go below 40 ft. If you dive EAN, you will probably never use more than about 75% of your allowable bottom time. It is not necessary to pay big bucks for a dive computer with capabilities you don't need.

Enjoy

I prefer Oceanic computers because of their liberal algorithm. They don;t steal bottom time from me with no discernible safety benefit.

But, with Bonaire as your destination, you could save the $$ and delay the purchase until you are sure of what you want/need. Bonaire is a destination that can be dove just as well on tables as it can with a computer. With very few exceptions, there is little need to go below 40 ft. If you dive EAN, you will probably never use more than about 75% of your allowable bottom time. It is not necessary to pay big bucks for a dive computer with capabilities you don't need.

Enjoy
If you go through the 32% DSAT tables, you find that a series of 50 ft dives for 60 Mins can just barely be done, if you allow 1h surface intervals.
The point is, 50 ft is limiting, 60 mins is limiting, and 1h SI is a long time standing in the hot sun at a sourthern site.
The computer essentially removesor mitigates those limitations...all the dives are multilevel, not square (i.e., tables).

Hey, he wants to spend $200-300 to free up his diving profiles....that's maybe $10 a dive for a good week in Bonaire, and the computer will be good for years.
What's not to like?

---------- Post added February 9th, 2015 at 08:51 PM ----------

OP: look at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...ceanic-geo-2-0-a-post7337012.html#post7337012.
Just what you want!

:rofl3: Got to love SB. In one thread and over the course of 18 posts we have gone from a basic recreational DC to the Petrel to a BT and tables! All viable options I might add.

Have to ask though, other than a different algorithm, what advantage does the higher price Geo 2.0 have over the lower priced Giotto?

big one for me is the fact that you can wear the Geo as a watch during travel which makes it less likely to get lost/stolen, the other is the multiple algorithm choices being much more stable than the one that Cressi just sort of came up with. Any time a computer company makes their own algorithm and doesn't publish it I get a little curious especially for decompression. Giotto isn't a bad computer, but if I'm getting on in that price range stepping up to something that is a bit more versatile is worth it, especially when they can be had used for the price in the link I posted on here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom