Opinion on the following 2 dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

big one for me is the fact that you can wear the Geo as a watch during travel which makes it less likely to get lost/stolen, the other is the multiple algorithm choices being much more stable than the one that Cressi just sort of came up with. Any time a computer company makes their own algorithm and doesn't publish it I get a little curious especially for decompression. Giotto isn't a bad computer, but if I'm getting on in that price range stepping up to something that is a bit more versatile is worth it, especially when they can be had used for the price in the link I posted on here.
Agreed. It really does seem to just be a choice between algorithms and that is well debated elsewhere.

Specific to the OP and without more info on his future dive plans, any computer will work fine for his needs and it may well be that the simplest and cheapest will be best in this case. And that would be the Veo. Unless you plan to do more advanced "rec" diving, it gives you all you need in a DC. I dove with the older version for 4 years and would have continued except that I finally needed that second gas option and wanted a more conservative dive profile.

My only real complaint of the Giotto is the 15 foot safety stop but since I actually do at least a 5 minute SS I simply self adjust this issue.

As for the so called limiting dive profiles, yes it will give you less BT then the DSAT and Buhlmann algorithms but comparable to many other popular DCs. For Bonaire, the difference will be negligible. My last trip, with the Cressi, I did 19 dives over 6 days that averaged 60 to 75 minutes. Hit max depth 92 but probably averaged around 45 (don't have the full log here but can get the details if interested). Conservative Factor set at 1. The only time I got near the NDL was the last day.

The Veo 100Nx is discontinued.
Look's like it is still available though.

Oceanic "VEO 100NX" Wrist Dive Computer, Yellow 04.2905.36

DiveNav:
Whatever dive computer brand / model you end up getting, make sure you learn how to properly use it.
To me that's the beauty of a basic computer for a beginning diver. Easy to learn and perhaps discourages complete reliance on the DC while encouraging independent thought.

If you go through the 32% DSAT tables, you find that a series of 50 ft dives for 60 Mins can just barely be done, if you allow 1h surface intervals.
The point is, 50 ft is limiting, 60 mins is limiting, and 1h SI is a long time standing in the hot sun at a sourthern site.
The computer essentially removesor mitigates those limitations...all the dives are multilevel, not square (i.e., tables).

Hey, he wants to spend $200-300 to free up his diving profiles....that's maybe $10 a dive for a good week in Bonaire, and the computer will be good for years.
What's not to like?

---------- Post added February 9th, 2015 at 08:51 PM ----------

OP: look at http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cl...ceanic-geo-2-0-a-post7337012.html#post7337012.
Just what you want!

If you run dive profiles that go for an average depth of 40 ft, bottom times of 75 minutes and si of 30 minutes between a pair of morning dive and a pair of afternoon dive, you will still have room for a single night dive of of the same profile. You may find yourself in group V or even W after a pair of dives; but still quite doable, every day. And you can spend some time in the 50 to 60 ft range (totally unnecessary at most Bonaire sites) because you should be spending over half of you dive time at 25 ft or less. The nice thing about a computer is it give you full credit for the shallow portion of a dive where tables will not.

About the only dive that would make me drag out the tables would be the Hilma Hooker where you will want to go deeper. While it is impressive to see it lying there the first time, there are lots of sand patches that are more interesting.

Of course, you do want to eventually get a computer. There are many dive locations where they are quite important to allow you to safely enjoy the dive sites with reasonable bottom times. Bonaire is not one of them.

The nice thing about a computer is it give you full credit for the shallow portion of a dive where tables will not. <snip> Of course, you do want to eventually get a computer. There are many dive locations where they are quite important to allow you to safely enjoy the dive sites with reasonable bottom times.
I agree.

Bonaire is not one of them.
I do not agree, unless you like constantly thinking about and probably limiting your number of dives and your depths.

OP, skip the Hilma Hooker, skip Angel City 2nd reef, skip Karpata and Rappel, skip about half of Klein Bonaire....yep, you can do lots of shallow dives.
You can also just dive in the sand before the dropoff and see lots of cool stuff, and the skip the Nitrox.
But you are spending a fair amount of money to go on this trip, why not invest before the trip in something that will make it more enjoyable, especially since you are going to buy one anyway at some point?

OP: you're making a good choice by seeking a computer. My opinion: Hollis dg03 is very good but has a pretty poor interface. Luckily, you shouldn't ever have to mess with much beyond changing nitrox settings, which is easy, but it still kind of Sucks. Computer is GREAT otherwise. Made by AUP which owns Oceanic and used to own Aeris (before they closed that brand down). I use a dg03 as a back up on my tech and cave dives

Is stay FAR, FAR away from Suuntos and Cressi and Mares because of their RGBM based algorithms. I severely dislike them.

The one button on the Veo computer is rough but you get a much better algorithm.

My recommendation would be to pick up the used Geo2.0 linked earlier. THAT is a great computer. Small but super clear screen with a crisp back light. User interface is among the best for rec computers. REALLY can't be beaten.

Rather than the Cressi Leonardo I'd recommend the Giotto and I have that one too. You can find it for around 259 US dollars (don't know where you live) or so and it gives you much more computer for the money.

Out of curiosity, why? Is it the buttons? Or does it go deeper in dive mode?

Out of curiosity, why? Is it the buttons? Or does it go deeper in dive mode?
The single button is a pain but not significant in my preference for the Giotto vs the Leonardo. It's the additional features for very little additional money.

Besides the basics offered by the Leonardo, the ability to dive with a second gas.

I do recall a second negative of the Cressi. The backlight is a pain to activate and generally pretty weak. But it's the only computer I have had that as a backlight so can not compare to other DC's.

Edit: After dmaziuk so politely corrected my error on the features of the Leonardo, I completely agree that unless you foresee a need for a two gas option, now or near future, go for the cheaper...

Edit 2: Seeing the multifunctions available on the single button Leonardo, the 3 button operation of any other dive computer may well be worth the addition monies alone!

Last edited:
Saw last week where some place(can't remember where though---lol) had the Veo 180--a better one than the 100--for like 160 US bucks...I've used the 180 now about 7 years? & it's brought me home---safe & sound---every time......

google it & maybe you'll find it.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom