Opinion on the following 2 dive computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arsalan Ahmed

Contributor
Reaction score
Amazon.com : Oceanic Veo 100 NX Wrist Air/Nitrox Dive Computer : Digital Diving Gauges : Sports & Outdoors

and

Amazon.com : Cressi Leonardo Dive Computer Watch -Wrist (Black / Blue ) : Digital Diving Gauges : Sports & Outdoors

I'm primarily thinking about buying a dive computer because i'm contemplating my first trip ever to Bonaire which will be unguided and probably 3 dives a day (which I've never done). In light of this, I wanted something around that helped identify

- Depth
- Bottom times
- Surface intervals
- Help with navigation (though i dont think either of the 2 i just linked provide that)
- Keep a log

Do you guys have an opinion on those 2? I realize there are better dive computers out there but given the cost of this trip, my budget is probably limited to no more than 300 US, if not lower.

Thanks

Arsi

I have used the oceanic, and it it extremely simple. I like the fact that it only has 1 button to do everything.

The Cressi is probably a little more customizable as it pertains to conservatism, but honestly if you don't have a solid understanding of deco theory, you probably don't need to be messing with all that.

What it comes down to is how much you want to spend, and will you be smart enough to figure out how to use it. I'm a technological idiot, so I default to the simplistic products.

Thanks. So based upon what you're saying it appears that the oceanic will serve the purpose? and its reliable?

you're not going to get one with a digital compass for any less than double your current budget.

Cheap useful option for communication and navigation under water.
[video=youtube;x0z4T_3KjFM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0z4T_3KjFM[/video]

for a trip like that saving up for a better computer is really with it.
Oceanic Geo 2.0 | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL - Dive Right in Scuba
That will be able to be worn as a watch while you're there the whole time and is a much better computer. You can probably find a used one for around $300.

I'm not a fan of a single-button computer, because the menus mess with my mind....all the "hold for two seconds and then press twice" stuff. But they always cost less.
Either of these is fine; you'll find more Cressi's on Bonaire in case you have any issues. They both have user-replaceable batteries, which is important.

Thanks. So based upon what you're saying it appears that the oceanic will serve the purpose? and its reliable?

It will definitely serve the purpose...and is pretty reliable. The only issue those older oceanic a had was battery life. That being said, the battery should last you at least a year even if you dive 2 weekends a month.

Thanks for the information. I'll probably look into getting either the cressi or the oceanic then.

Arsi

I started with the Veo NX100 console computer. It is a great computer for what it does. Very basic with a liberal algorithm. No alarms, which I like. Don't know if this is still true. I'm not a fan of the one button but otherwise its about as simple dive computer as you can get but does the job.

Rather than the Cressi Leonardo I'd recommend the Giotto and I have that one too. You can find it for around 259 US dollars (don't know where you live) or so and it gives you much more computer for the money.

I'd be happy to answer any specific questions about the two DC that you may have.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom