OOA Buddy starts to drag you up by your octo - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Steve_Dives:
If it's just a safety stop, I'd agree there's very low risk of a DCS problem. The original post didn't include the time at depth or prior events.

Hehe.. In the interest of providing complete info for this scenario, lets say 100 fsw for 22 mins :eyebrow:

*runs and hides*

Ice9:
Hehe.. In the interest of providing complete info for this scenario, lets say 100 fsw for 22 mins :eyebrow:

*runs and hides*
:flame:

OK, definitely not going to chase person to surface after pulling my reg from there mouth , forcibly if necessary, if I can not stop them from going up.
For me, I think ... after dragging me up, probably more than 10 (15?) or more feet before I can react, I am going to very worried (scared) and react accordingly .. and what if it was a loved one? that would change things, wouldn't it? ... I would probably do all I could to slow them down, and I bet I would not let them go .. or would I? ... I don't know, I hope to never have to find out

D_B:

I hope to never have to find out

I couldn't agree more. :D

Actually, it goes much farther. Mitigate the risks ahead of time so that they don't become problems later. Dealing with problems is generally the easy part. Learning how to mitigate the risks is what most people tend to have problems understanding.

redrover:
Heavens! Isn’t that a core of the DIR philosophy – prepare to deal with things NOT going as planned.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[/FONT][/SIZE]

ArcticDiver:
In the context of this general thread hadn't even thought of the specialized scientific diver protocols.
These are not "specialized" to us, these are our standards just as PADI, NAUI, BSAC, LA County, SSI, TDI, GUE, etc. are yours. BTW: there was a time when yours were the same as ours.

D_B:

OK, definitely not going to chase person to surface after pulling my reg from there mouth , forcibly if necessary, if I can not stop them from going up.
For me, I think ... after dragging me up, probably more than 10 (15?) or more feet before I can react, I am going to very worried (scared) and react accordingly .. and what if it was a loved one? that would change things, wouldn't it? ... I would probably do all I could to slow them down, and I bet I would not let them go .. or would I? ... I don't know, I hope to never have to find out
DB, if you want to stop them, grab a firm grip on a strap, dump all the air you can (yours and theirs), and stop or slow down them from kicking by using your legs to get in the way. You can always get them down to under 60 fpm doing that. If the person is big, you might have to actually swim somewhat down to slow things. Not straight down but sideways down, it also pushes them from going straight up. It is the surface that is the scary part.

Been thru this more than 400 times, as part of a "so you don't think you will panic" exersize at the end of every course I taught. I dreaded the surface, but the coming up was not that bad. As a note, some people should never do that exersize.

Note: The other option was learning a 10 meter platform entry - also lots of fun.

Ice9:

*runs and hides*

Going for 50 pages??? Throw in unrinating during the accent and gas escaping the colon and we'll still be on this thread in retirement! :rofl3: But we need to frame them in a realistic manner...the trapped urine would be warm, and therefore increase blood flow to the skin and help reduce the amount of nitrogen there. So when being dragged up you should (while trying to find your spare, not get kicked, slow the accent, and calm the other diver) remember to relieve yourself! :rofl3: Now for the other bodily function...would allowing gas to escape speed your accent if it was trapped in the wet suit? Or are we dry in the scenrio? :rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3: Oh that was fun!

*EDIT* Wait! I meant to add trying not to get strangled by your 7 foot hose to the list! ROFLMAO

I don't have my tables with me, but I recall the no deco time being 25 minutes. My dive computer gives me five minutes at 90 feet, so the panicked diver would have to grab another victim. :wink:

Lets see if I have the right idea/if this would work ...

1st ... Surprise! ... followed by dumping air in your BC
2nd ... getting good hold on other diver's BC, get in position and dump there BC
3rd ... Good idea about getting your legs in their's and "tripping them up"
4th ... now maybe you have some time to calm them down and stop there/your ascent

is that a good order?

yeah ... if you practice enough, you'll hit the surface just as you complete step 4

the good news is, though, that your ascent will stop at that point even if you screw the rest of it up

Well, I would probably just stop, and if that meant that it yanked the reg out of there mouth, then they might stop too .. But, as I said, what if it's a loved one? Your gonna do everying you can and odds are better if you've at least thought of it, and worked through it in your mind at least .. 60fpm is better than nothing

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom