OOA Buddy starts to drag you up by your octo - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:D
Puffer Fish:
Excellent post and very well stated. (If you meant mine, thank you, I do try.) ....they are strong... stronger than you would ever imagine..I've had 100 lb ladies leave bruises from where they grabbed me, actual finger marks. And they can swim fast, if you cannot stop them. And a long hose is not your friend in that situation.

Ok, discussion, whew!
I believe you Puffer Fish. Just doing a OOA exercise last weekend and felt calm, no worries, and noticed I had a far greater grip than I needed given the exercise and had to consciously tell my fingers to let up a little. I know what I can do when I have to, like move a slate pool table across a carpeted room before there were the slidey things. Yet I’m very concerned given the amount of time and how rapidly problems increase with assent, that I’d be drug along faster than I could catch up to someone with a deeper, stronger urge. Plus they had a head start.:D

At this point it’s not relevant to me because I don’t have a long hose. But it is relevant in light of smearing those who seek knowledge where they can find it, such as via computer monitor. The point made, rather good or bad advice, directed me to thinking further about situation occurrence and problem resolution I.e. out of my reach to do what is recommended.

I’m wondering how many people hesitate to state their opinions to a question raised, fearing such hostility. Therefore preventing such expansion of discussions of solutions to the proposed problem. What are these people reading these threads for if not expecting to share or gain knowledge? Arrrugh. Rant over.

Ok, rant resumed by edit. The point is Soggy, a longer hose allows greater distance, not forces, allows.

Um, redrover, you talk about hostility here but it is more frustration actually. We have explained a few times to you that a long hose is not a problem but you infer again in your post above that it is. Perhaps you should read a little closer or if are you just blowing off what we have to say then yes, I would be a little miffed.

Since you do not use a long hose, how can you state it is the wrong thing to use?

Diver Dennis:
Um, redrover, you talk about hostility here but it is more frustration actually. We have explained a few times to you that a long hose is not a problem but you infer again in your post above that it is. Perhaps you should read a little closer or if are you just blowing off what we have to say then yes, I would be a little miffed.

Since you do not use a long hose, how can you state it is the wrong thing to use?
Ever watch someone trying to communicate with another person who doesn't speak the same language? They almost always try again ... saying the same thing, only louder.

... and it isn't any more effective than it was the first time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I'm coming in way late here and normally don't jump on these marathon threads, but I had a thought on this topic: Yank off their fins to give yourself a power and control advantage. Ever try swimming wearing the scuba unit without fins? You don't get very far very fast...

Yanking off a fin or both could be enough to get their attention or it could be enough to push them over the top of hysteria...

Opinions?

Ok, Ok. I think there are some semantics that ought to be realized. The situation originally described I view not as an air share. Share implies mutually agreeable relationship. Is a rape sharing sex? Somebody forcibly dragging me to potential harm, either up or down is not sharing my air; they’re stealing something (control of my safety) against my will. I cannot easily disengage myself from what they are stealing, my air supply.

Good point too Diver Dennis about maintaining space, once again how easily I feel to be overpowered. Goes along with the approach from behind. But gee, how do you establish eye contact from behind? Hmmm, more room for thought.

And yup, I incorrectly inserted DIR where I should have said long hose users. And I appreciate the correction. The reference to philosophy was directed to those that insist all problems are preventable. My experience is; it’s not a perfect world. I sincerely meant no disrespect to followers of any line of diving. I’m a strong advocate for personal choice. If ours differ, doesn’t make one wrong or right.

For me, choosing to open this thread, continue to read despite waste of time replies, have gained insight should I, God forbid, have such unfortunate luck such as the original hypothetical scenario as well as in similar bad luck situations.

I'm not DIR but dive both long and short hoses. A long hose is no more "dangerous" than a regular hose. I, and most of the others I think, never thought this was an air share scenario. A lot of us are in agreement that in some cases an OOA diver is not controllable.

I was just wondering why you think that a long hose is dangerous.

RJP:
You're missing the point:

With a seven foot hose your panicked OOA buddy can surface but you can still do a "shallow stop" at seven feet for three minutes!

:)

Why not a 15' hose and do a normal depth safety stop and it could double as a jon line too.

Oh, for crying out loud. I never said, meant to indicate or visualized anyone could think I felt ‘using a long hose is the wrong thing to use’.
I said Nemrod had what I felt was a good point – and my concerns someone grabbing my primary and bolting up could get further away than I could catch up to to gain control of the situation. The long hose is not the point, distance is the point. It brought to my mind how crucial rapid recognition and response is. If I continue to use a short hose it certainly won’t be because I might find a long one unfavorable in one particular disaster scenario. I have absolutely nothing against anyone using a long hose, and consider it for myself. Frankly I cannot grasp why anyone would accuse me of repetitively insisting I think it wrong.

The hostility I spoke of is statements made not to me, well up until post #222 and #223, but to others offering possible actions to resolve a situation. They were not (I’m paraphrasing) ‘I disagree with you’ but ‘you’re an idiot. I find them tediously repetitive, suspect they prevent others from sharing their opinions that are not be in line with the preceding flow and reduce discussion scope. For example; it’s hard for me to get my fins off sitting still on dry land, they are a tight fit. Consequentially, I wouldn’t have considered trying to get someone else’s frantically moving fins off. I still think it will not be my first line of action but definitely now will be something to keep in mind as a possible solution. I don’t think nor imply Cracked Conch is right or wong, an idiot or the best piece of advice I received. It is something to consider if it is any of the above or anywhere in between, therefore of value.

Back
Top Bottom