OOA Buddy starts to drag you up by your octo - What would you do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caseybird:
Hey, way off topic: My son is being posted to Fort Lewis, WA in Febuary, Since I'll be visiting during the summer, Are there any dive boat ops that supply tanks and weight?
What about guided dives? What do you reccommend?
Thanks,
I recommend you contact me when you're coming. I have a garage full of tanks, extra weights, and am always ready to show a visitor our Puget Sound ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Sliding Scale Of Dive Purity?? Does that mean that My Way Is The Only Real Way? All Else Is Inferior And Contact Is To Be Avoided Or Minimized?

Not trying to start another "discussion". Just trying to understand the statement. It can be taken in a couple different ways.

NWGratefulDiver:
I recommend you contact me when you're coming. I have a garage full of tanks, extra weights, and am always ready to show a visitor our Puget Sound ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I can endorse that. Not only is Bob ready to show someone around and to introduce them to some very nice people; he is a great source of ideas.

Listen up, the OOA diver would not have your octopus... it's a backup regulator and better be on a short hose tied around your neck. The OOA diver has probably grabbed your long hose and that's exactly why it's LONG. He (or she) now has air, they have distance which keeps the clastrophobia to a minimum and you have the other end of it!

Now, in a clam fashion, STOP the diver from doing anything except breathing. Heart rate drops, panic drops, then after a minute or so, you both realize it's time to do an ascent. As the DIVER IN CONTROL of the situation, you call the shots. Take the OOA diver by the hand and place their had on your forearm. Look at them and make them understand that this is where it stays. If they try to remove it, grab it and place it back on your forearm. NOW, you and only you will hit the inflate button on your BC and get started to the surface. Take their other hand and show them they have to vent also as you come up. Now you're in control, they feel better because you demonstrated cool thinking and they'll follow your lead. Each vent slowly and control your ascent. After all, they are now NOT a diver out of air.

This scenario assums they are truely OUT OF AIR and not experiencing a malfunction of their gear. I would have to also assume that they have tried to use their backup reg and also found it to be useless. If you both had in fact followed the proper procedures before jumping in the water you should not be having this emergency.

Your scenario is flawed but with the ability to read between the lines, several causes and effects can be read into the story both before, during and after the fact.

You both should be watching out for each other. If you're not, you're not buddys.

cdennyb after diving with students that is easier said then done. Someone panicky and inflating their BC is harder to stop then you think, possible but not necessarily going to happen.

cdennyb:
Now, in a clam fashion, STOP the diver from doing anything except breathing. Heart rate drops, panic drops, then after a minute or so, you both realize it's time to do an ascent. As the DIVER IN CONTROL of the situation, you call the shots. Take the OOA diver by the hand and place their had on your forearm. Look at them and make them understand that this is where it stays. If they try to remove it, grab it and place it back on your forearm. NOW, you and only you will hit the inflate button on your BC and get started to the surface. Take their other hand and show them they have to vent also as you come up. Now you're in control, they feel better because you demonstrated cool thinking and they'll follow your lead. Each vent slowly and control your ascent. After all, they are now NOT a diver out of air.

The OP said you are already being dragged by the hose that the OOA diver has. Your solution is exactly correct for a diver who is not panicked but unfortunately this is not always the case. These things can happen very fast, before you have time to react.

Overall this sounds horrible but it really comes down to your relationship with the buddy, some runaway ascents can't be stopped, are you going to let that buddy drag you to the surface. What if its an instabuddy is it really worth that?

ArcticDiver:
Sliding Scale Of Dive Purity?? Does that mean that My Way Is The Only Real Way?
No, of course not.

Bob,
Wow, thanks. I'm already looking foward to it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom