Only in the good old USA part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cdiver2:
If you look at the title of my post it said question no insinuation that you were a liar or wrong just a request for information.

And I'm still a fan
Never inferred it, hence the smiley! :wink:

First the thread that was edited (SJSPECK) if you think its bad there you want to see the other side (Florida).

I can see the elderly wanting a firm hand as they are usually the target of criminals, I was one of them. Driving up the road one night (no one around) when three teenagers suddenly appear in the road, I swerved so as not to hit them and as I pass there are three thuds on the side of the car. My first thought was Ive hit them so I turn round and come back when one of them starts cursing me out and kicking the car. So I get out to stop him and he gets a knife passed from one of the others, I get back in the car and call the police as I watch them calmly walk away. It took 15 minutes for the police to get there (five cars from the same direction) and give me a hard time because I am not answering the questions the way they want, they leave to look for the teens telling me someone will be along to take a statement. A 1/2 hour later no cops so I call again and was told you can go as we did not get them (I wonder why) , I say I want to make a report and am told to go to the police station. At the police station no one there only a phone so I talk to the officer on the other end and am told "no sense in making a report as we did not get them, I insist...45 minutes later two police cars roll into the parking lot....agian I am told (a number of times) no sense in making a statement as we did not get them, so I give up and tell them I'm going to get a permit to carry BLAM they are all over me and tell me if I had used one I would be arrested for murder. Later this seem like a good idea at least I would get some rights then.

Car search no problems with that as long as it is done with courtesy. Again Florida. I was staying in a motel waiting to close on a house, one night theres a knock on the door and there are two police officers there. They say one of the dogs have shown an interest in my GF car and would we give permission to search it so I say no problem and open the car up and tell them there are two rifles and a pistol in my pick up parked next to her car you can have a look if you want. I am told no we had the dog in the back of your pick up last night !. At this point another four officers and a dog turn up. Dog go's in the car and shows a interest in a draw under the drivers seat, the dog is taken out and a officer go's to open the draw I get closer to see what he is doing and am pushed and pulled back so I tell them I want to watch the officer search, I am told no for officer safety....Six to one !. At this point I tell them stop the search I with draw my permission they reply I can not do that once permission was given it could not be taken back and I had no right to watch. Nothing was found.

Prisoners in Northern Ireland had the right to watch the officer when his cell was being searched.
stop and search yes as I said with some courtesy usually something quiet Innocent has aroused suspicion.

If you think its hard now wait and see, I said twenty years ago that the US was wide open for terrorist and when it comes it will be big, I had no idea how big (911) and its going to get worse before it gets better. I think in theses times we have to give up some of the rights we shout about to aid law enforcement and for the good of all.

cdiver2:
I thought you thought I was calling you a liar.
No, not at all. Just a friendly dare to prove me wrong :wink:

cdiver2:
If you think its hard now wait and see, I said twenty years ago that the US was wide open for terrorist and when it comes it will be big, I had no idea how big (911) and its going to get worse before it gets better. I think in theses times we have to give up some of the rights we shout about to aid law enforcement and for the good of all.

This is a dangerous statement considering who could be deciding what "the good of all" means.
Giving up rights for protection is scary talk! Living in fear makes people do strange things and while you may feel comfortable turning your basic rights over to someone who may have questionable intentions, but I don't.
The reasons for the US being open to terrorists are far more encompassing than police not being allowed to search average citizens vehicles or make criminals work in chain gangs and are definatley outside the TOS of this board.
Take care.
Robert

Robert Phillips:
This is a dangerous statement considering who could be deciding what "the good of all" means.
Giving up rights for protection is scary talk! Living in fear makes people do strange things and while you may feel comfortable turning your basic rights over to someone who may have questionable intentions, but I don't.
The reasons for the US being open to terrorists are far more encompassing than police not being allowed to search average citizens vehicles or make criminals work in chain gangs and are definatley outside the TOS of this board.
Take care.
Robert

But I will ask a mod and if so,so be it no offense meant

Coming from a city like Baltimore, where people go to prison and get killed every day, I am just as sickened by this guy as I am with the state of our jail systems. Would it make a big difference if one of these inmates were to die under this tyrannical warden? Prisoners that were not sentenced to death do not deserve it, no? And prisoners do have rights under the constitution, I would refer you to the Eigth Amendment.

Where I come from, nobod fears going to jail. Going to jail is just another source of street credit, something to be celebrated. People get murdered in jail. They die of AIDS and CUREABLE STDs in jail. They die of things that can be easil prevented, like heat stroke and chlamydia. Healthcare in Jails is just abominable here.

People here come through Jail here go right back to what they were doing before- killing people. The what good did the whole process do? How much money did the taxpayers spend to keep another villan off the streets? Why not teach them to get their GED, or maybe a college education while they are locked up so they can land on their feet after they get out? How much good does it really do to have them work on a chain line, when they could actually be making up for lost educational time?

I think that different crimes deserve different measures. Maybe a lady who was convicted on charges of heroin possession and prostitution, rather than going to jail where she might catch ANOTHER STD or get murdered, should go to a halfway house where maybe she can get clean and get a good job. What good would it be for her to work on a chain line? I don't think much.

Just my opinion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom