Only in the good old USA part 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Knight1989:
And I certainly dont take Penn and Teller as an informed source.
But would you agree that they are more informed on the subject than you?

Robert Phillips:
I think you are confused about my post. I was not reffering to the prisoners in his county jail (though that is the focus of this thread, so I can see the confusion,) but for the average Arizona resident, or any other law abiding citizen.
In none of my posts to this thread have I stated one way or the other how I feel about his "labor camps." Nor have I said anything about the prisoners he is holding or why they are there. I prefer not to admire people who, on one hand, in the opinion of some, do great work, while violating the rights of law abiding citizens in other areas.
Any other feelings I have have no place being discussed on this board as they are my political opinions, though I will say that I absolutley agree with your last paragraph.

What Robert has been trying to tell you folks is that about 10 years back, the good Sheriff proposed placing roadblocks on every road into the county, stopping every car, and performing drug searches. I'm sure it would've been very popular ... not sure how crowded the roads get down that way, but I can imagine the traffic tie-ups would've been something to talk about.

The state attorney general reminded him about this little document called the Bill of Rights ... and suggested that maybe it wouldn't be such a good idea.

Surprised y'all hadn't heard about it ... it made the national news for a while. In fact, I think that's what originally made the guy famous.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Robert Phillips:
But would you agree that they are more informed on the subject than you?

More informed on police practices, tactics and laws? I highly doubt it. More informed on this particular sherrif? Doubt that as well, since I know more than one highly respected officer that knows him and that even work for him. More informed about what he has tried to do in the past? Sure, since none of it affects me; I havent had nor do I have any desire to look any of it up. Whatever he does in his own county is fine by me.

I gotta ask - since this guy has made the national media (I had heard of him before the thread, but not given him alot of thought), I'm sure he's got a number of civil rights watchdogs on him and has for some time. I commend him for finding a tough - but legal - stance with convicted criminals.

Regarding stopping every car for drug searches and the BOR - I can't remember seeing automobiles mentioned in the BOR. Also, I seem to remember having my car searched returning from Mexico many times at the US border - and having them find nothing because nothing was in it. How's it different? I'm a US citizen, BTW...

Hitler got 88% of the vote. Now we know why.

Most of this stuff is just sad. Doesn't anyone here have any feel for
the Bill of Rights? Is everyone for mistreating prisoners? Does the idea
of people living in miserable conditions entertain you?

I gotta chime in. I'm card-carrying Republican, a Texan, and an educator. The proof is in the pudding, folks. Around 60-90% (depends on the report you read, sorry for the large window) of prison inmates are high school dropouts. (Granted, some have to drop out because they are ordered to prison.) But, these stats scream that education will help bridge the great divide. Qualified and dedicated teachers drop out of the education system at a high rate too- because in many states they are paid a salary that qualifies them for food stamps, and they can make double-triple their salaries in the private business sector. There is NOT a teacher shortage- there IS, however, a shortage of teachers who are willing to work for low wages. Texas ranks #34 in average teacher's salary. Until states start funding education and positive youth programs to a greater extent than prisons, the merry-go-round will not stop. Many of the young people are growing up on their own, with very little parental supervision or care. Teachers/educators do not want to be surrogate parents, but are unwittingly thrown into this role. Pay for quality now, or pay later, because for the large part, we ARE raising your children.

There are no easy answers, but we have a minimal security drug-abuse prison in my small town. I get a thrill when our weekly paper prints a story about 25-30 high school drop out prisoners who have recently earned their GED's. I know the teacher at the prison, and she is a very positive influence on these young men. I'm grateful that there is a program that helps give hope to these few who are willing to make the effort to better themselves and give themselves a better chance for the future. The smiles on their faces in their picture tells the whole story.

As to this sheriff, I am not a bleeding heart who feels that prisoners need to be coddled. I do think, however, that some of them probably just need a chance. They should be given an opportunity to work for the privilege of attending classes, and given adequate provisions/neccessities to accomplish this. The ones who don't take advantage of the opportunities will probably never make it out of the prison system entirely, and those who do, will realize that they have earned something of value. Free ride- NO. Earned value- YES.

In general, my students who have strong family support are not the ones who stay in trouble. It's the one whose mama knocked the latest "uncle" over the head with the beer bottle last night during a fight at the local bar, then ended up in jail, so the kids don't have their clothes, books, bags, etc., if they make it to school at all. The friend who takes care of the kids does the best he/she can till CPS shows up. Many of these kids are survivors, but the ones who break- well, here goes our vicious cycle again.

The moral? Raise your kids, love them, take care of them, give them security and a sense of direction. Make them EARN self-esteem, do not give it away. Raise teachers salaries and increase all-over school funding, help kids stay in school. Incarcerate criminals, let prison be prison, provide opportunities for growth for those willing to work for it.

Oh yeah, and give peace a chance. ;o)

I know facts are sticky things but Washington DC has the highest funding per student in the nation and the lowest test scores. somewhere between $8-$9,000 per child per year. Money won't fix this problem

TheDivingPreacher:
I know facts are sticky things but Washington DC has the highest funding per student in the nation and the lowest test scores. somewhere between $8-$9,000 per child per year. Money won't fix this problem

There are children that have had very little education and made it good in the world then there are the ones that have had the best of everything and have turned out bad.

I do think things have got worse as we have gone along offering excuses for there failure, poor education, bad parents and he/she was not brest fed. Fact is they know right from wrong good or bad education. I do think first offense give them a second chance after that you have no rights.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom