Online Dive Vendors/Dealers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yukoneer:
Hey all! I am researching extensively for prices, stuff, etc.. I just got my certification and searching all options out there to buy equipment.

So far I have found:

www.scubatoys.com
www.scuba.com
www.leisurepro.com
www.diversdirect.com
www.diveus.com
www.divers-supply.com
www.piratescuba.com
www.123scuba.com
www.scubastore.com

any other suggestions? any other places?

3 of my LDS are ripoffs with prices, i'd save hundreds and hundreds of dollars by ordering online even with shipping.

I am about to purchase gear as well. I too, have done quite a bit of research. The one thing you need to be careful of is to make sure the online store is an AUTHORIZED dealer. Leisure Pro IS NOT. The only warranty you get from Leisure Pro is just that, from Leisure Pro. If there is a problem you have to send it to Leisure Pro. You will get a manufacturer's warranty from an authorized shop.

The good news is that scuba.com will match Leisure Pro's pricing. They are the only one I have found that will match an unautorized price. I am going to buy from Scuba.com using Leisure Pro's pricing. It will save me around $400 per rig. I'm buying two rig's (Oceanic Gamma II/CDX5, Ranger BC, Aeris AI computer.)

You will catch some flak from some people on the board about supporting your LDS. However, I do not agree. When there is over 75% difference in price between my LDS and an AUTHORIZED online shop there is a problem with the LDS not me. Just my two cents and my opinion.

RichLockyer:
LOL!
Dunno if he's Jewish or not... it's not my business to know and I've never asked, nor has he asked about my beliefs.

Well, since I'm Jewish I was puzzled as to the source. Sounds like it's more of personal philosophy than something Talmudic.

Inquring minds and all that,

scubatoys:
That really doesn't help much. Find an online dealer that can provide warranty is probably the key. I don't think Master Card will notify you if there is a recall on your boot legged, gray market goods. Pretty sure Visa will not pay for your annual rebuild kits, And American Express will not offer replace the HP seat on a reg after 6 months if it fails.

Might help if it gets lost or stolen... but the main part of warranty is tracking and service of life support gear in case of recalls, upgrades, and parts.

Just check with the manufacturer and find out if the on line shop you are buying from is an authorized dealer.

Larry,
I know you have both a physical store an d an online store please clarify that many online shops such as yours DO offer full manufacturer's warranties.

RichLockyer:
I think Scubatoys is currently the exception, and hopefully, a forerunner of things to come... what I was talking about when I mentioned the current LDS adapting or failing.
Keep it up guys! :thumbs_up

Rich,
As I said in a previous post I have done a CONSIDERABLE amount of research recently on both online and the LDS's in town, and it seems to me that the UNATHORIZED online store is the exception. ALL the shops below are authorized dealers.

scuba.com
onlinescuba.com
scubatoys.com
diversdiscount.com

These are just the ones that come to mind. I should point out that I've contacted scuba.com and scubatoys.com and found their staff to be both knowlegable and helpful. More helpful in fact than two of my local LDS's. Also, the local shops i visited (I'm in Houston, TX) all have a poor selection and readily bad mouthed gear that they did not carry. Just my two cents. Lastly, a good friend of mine worked at our LDS in college and I got to know the owner. He repeatedly stated that he made more money on classes and trips than on gear. I do not know if this is typical but it seems to me that the LDS will always be in business. It's role is just changing to fit the times.

outlawaggie:
Larry,
I know you have both a physical store an d an online store please clarify that many online shops such as yours DO offer full manufacturer's warranties.

I know some are... and some are not... It's pretty easy to tell based on the brands they sell. Anyone offering ScubaPro, AquaLung, Seaquest, Suunto, Oceanic - probably should be careful. Those brands do not allow on line sales of their products - So when in doubt, give the manufacturer a call and say "I was going to buy a XYZ regulator from ABC Dive On line - will I get a full manufacturers warranty?" That's the easiest way to tell.

I have had customers ask for the number to Aeris, Zeagle, etc to check us out. I've got no problem with that - and anyone legit shouldn't have a problem either.

oleras:
How can you know what they charge without passing through their doors ? how can you buy with confidence without checking the competition? This is not restricted to scuba gear, this is every major purchase....answer me this Rich, if you testdrove a car in one garage would you buy there and then or shop around?
As a matter of fact, I have purchased every car that I have ever test-driven, however, PRIOR to going to the dealership, I have done weeks of research to find out what a good/fair price would be for the options package I want.

Same for a dive shop... the telephone can save a lot of driving around when you're looking to get the feel of what a shop's prices are like.

RichLockyer:
As a matter of fact, I have purchased every car that I have ever test-driven, however, PRIOR to going to the dealership, I have done weeks of research to find out what a good/fair price would be for the options package I want.

Same for a dive shop... the telephone can save a lot of driving around when you're looking to get the feel of what a shop's prices are like.

You must be a skillful negotiator. Most care dealerships will not give you theri "best price" until the moment you are about to buy. They know you would otherwise use their price as a license to shop...

JAG

scubatoys:
I know some are... and some are not... It's pretty easy to tell based on the brands they sell. Anyone offering ScubaPro, AquaLung, Seaquest, Suunto, Oceanic - probably should be careful. Those brands do not allow on line sales of their products - So when in doubt, give the manufacturer a call and say "I was going to buy a XYZ regulator from ABC Dive On line - will I get a full manufacturers warranty?" That's the easiest way to tell.

I have had customers ask for the number to Aeris, Zeagle, etc to check us out. I've got no problem with that - and anyone legit shouldn't have a problem either.

This is somewhat off topic but a quick question. My LDS said that the Aeris AI computer is a bad deal, lots of returns etc. However, I have not seen that in the posts here. I should note that they do not sell Aeris in the shop. Your opinion???? Thanks

I was looking for Leisure Pro's boat last saturday afternoon at the lake, but I couldn't find it. Oh, I forgot. They don't have one. Sure glad the boat from my LDS was there.

The online vendors also don't grill hotdogs and burgers after the dive, have classes (there's more to diving than OW) or fill the tanks I dropped off in the morning so I can pick them up after work.

If you have a good LDS, you should support them, even if it costs you a few more dollars up front. It's actually to your benefit to have a local dive shop that you like (and that also likes you).

Terry

DandyDon:
There's pros & cons...
The biggest difference for me is that a LDS helps develop the sport in my area, so I'll have neighbors who want to go on trips that the LDS sponsors, so I can go with people I know. If you're in Florida, you may not care about that.

outlawaggie:
This is somewhat off topic but a quick question. My LDS said that the Aeris AI computer is a bad deal, lots of returns etc. However, I have not seen that in the posts here. I should note that they do not sell Aeris in the shop. Your opinion???? Thanks

We have experienced very few problems with the AI, or the Wisdom (same thing sideways... sorta').

Over all - they have been extremely solid... and if there ever is a problem with an aeris product - they take care of it instantly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom