Buying a Dive Computer in Roatan / La Ceiba.... Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTB,

Thank you for editting out your 4am reply and replacing it with something more civil. Up late drinking by chance? Maybe you shouldn't post on Scubaboard at 4am? :wink:

Actually I ws just taken by your lack of information and how you decided to live somewhere for an extended time with so little research so you how to get things done, But then I looked at how many folks move to paradise to start a new life and screw up I figured that My reply about your lack of knowledge might be frowned upon so I edited it but the facts remain the same, shipping can be done at resonable prices, your on an extended stay, have you not already met some on Utila to advise you? that is where I would start and not on some tourist oriented internet forum . There are numerous yahoo groups targeted to those that live on the islands, there are many blogs about living on the islands, Seems odd to ask at a place where most visit for a week or so and never ship anything. How many on this forum do you think travel from Utila to RTB or the mainland to buy equipment?? Doesn't it seem silly whe you look at it that way? Kind of like those that post here about moving to the islands,as if most here are really informed on the day to day living when not on vacation.

Be nice if you could find someone that is heading there on vacation that can bring you one from the states. With either you paying them when they get there, or you sending your C/C info to the shop where they can pick it up for you. Just a thought if you know anyone heading that way.

This is the best way, by far. Cheapest, anyway.

Find someone who has been to dive with the dive-op you are working with in previous years. Contact them for permission, then order it on=-line and have it shipped to them.

This person becomes your "mule" and thus save you a lot of hay.

RTB, Thank you for editting out your 4am reply and replacing it with something more civil. Up late drinking by chance? Maybe you shouldn't post on Scubaboard at 4am? :wink:

At 4 a.m., we try to keep him right here on-line, versus prowling the iron shore howling at the Moon.

I would think by now you figurd how to get q 38 0r 357. after that a dive computer shoud be a cinch

Reactions: Doc
Go to sleep now.

I dive with Barefoot Cay on Roatan when on vacation and I bought a Suunto D6 from them when mine died and they had a few Suunto units when I was there. Email barefoot divers and ask Doug what he has.

Actually I ws just taken by your lack of information and how you decided to live somewhere for an extended time with so little research so you how to get things done, But then I looked at how many folks move to paradise to start a new life and screw up I figured that My reply about your lack of knowledge might be frowned upon so I edited it but the facts remain the same, shipping can be done at resonable prices, your on an extended stay, have you not already met some on Utila to advise you? that is where I would start and not on some tourist oriented internet forum . There are numerous yahoo groups targeted to those that live on the islands, there are many blogs about living on the islands, Seems odd to ask at a place where most visit for a week or so and never ship anything. How many on this forum do you think travel from Utila to RTB or the mainland to buy equipment?? Doesn't it seem silly whe you look at it that way? Kind of like those that post here about moving to the islands,as if most here are really informed on the day to day living when not on vacation.

Actually, many residents post here, both from Roatan and Utila, yourself included. When you aren't being an azz, you have the ability to provide solid info. The hard part is getting you to not be pompous and pulling the info from you. I wonder why you even post here as you act like providing this info is asking for unrepayable favors from you. For example, see your earlier replies. You tell me it can be done, and brag how you just did it, but then fail to mention how you did it. Seriously? Are you just here seeking attention? I get so tired of reading reply after reply from you where all you do is mock and down-talk the original poster. You must either hate your life or find enjoyment being an azz online. Finally, my original post was not about shipping, it was about finding dive equipment on the island of Roatan. I wouldn't consider that a stretch on this forum. Only you could find fault in coming to a scuba based web forum entitled "Bay Islands" and asking where to find scuba equipment in the Bay Islands.

Perhaps in the future you can keep your commentary to yourself and 7 guard dogs, and simply furnish the answers to the questions. Thanks for your help.

No luck yet ?

I'd be expecting a response from industry on Roatan but. like industry on Utila, they don't appear to frequent scubaboard.

IMO your best bet might just be to head to Roatan, rent a scooter and drive around with a wallet full of cash.

I'll be heading down in January and, in theory, I could pick something up for you bet there's a few "problems". The two dive shops I have ready access to don't list their wares online so I'd have to forward you their names and you could contact them, see what they've got, buy it with a credit card ( bonus..we have a 12% tax on every purchase ) I could pick it up and courier it down there.

You'd probably get a better deal in the US though, a quick google search shows the D6 noted above selling for $850 in Vancouver yet scubatoys has it for $700.

I don't know how the whole warranty thing would work out, being bought in Canada and all, it might not matter.

Snorkel test last night heh ? :cool2:

Other than the king of Roatan I think you got a couple of good ideas already.

I would call TGI and see what they have, it would be worth the call anyway. Like jlevine said I have bought some equipment there and got decent prices considering. Maybe they are doing a trip to Utila and could drop it to you even. They used have things like that at Coconut Tree in West End and even Sueno Del Mar sometimes had some good stock when I was there. See any posts up on the cork boards at the dive shops? Lots of people leaving are selling gear.

I actually lived on Roatan for nearly six years and still didn't have the shipping figured out for something like a computer. Sure, it may come with Hyde, but in my time there I spent more time running back and forth from the office to see if it was there yet than I would have spent swimming to Miami and getting what I wanted. Jackson, the same. I could imagine if you lived on Utila, you would have to call before you came to pick it up. It wasn't so cut and dry when I was there. There were good weeks and bad weeks and the boats would sit at the dock for days past sailing due dates for whatever reason.

Apparently it is simple now, but you have to be real smart before you move there to figure it out.

Other than the king of Roatan...
Which one...?? :confused:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom