Online Dive Vendors/Dealers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If a manufacturer "encourages" its distributors not to sell through the internet then they may as well "encourage" them not to sell through catalogues and through mail order.
If you were to advertise your shop and the products in a local paper, would the manufacturer deny you the right to sell the goods and mail them to a customer if s/he sent you a check for the goods?

Sounds very much like restraint of free trade to me.

By the way, Larry, if you guys ever want to branch out into the Atlanta market, let me know!!!

RichLockyer:
This is a violation of Jewish law,

Care to explain this comment?

I didn't read all the post so I don't know what this thread has turned into, it could be about hitler for all I know, but I want to give my 2 cents about why you should buy from you LDS instead of from online sources.

The reason you need to buy from a LDS is that you get a relationship going with them that can really help you out in the future. If they know you will come back they will go out of there way to help you. Just two days ago at my LDS I went in needing a new wetsuit, I have lost 60lbs, unfortunately since I am not made of money I could not afford one and was going to rent it. When I let my LDS owner know why I was renting one she said that since my old wetsuit was only used for one trip that she would trade me. I assumed it would be from the rental pull, but she pulled one right off the rack and told me to try it on and let me have it. Now I know she probably lost money on this, but she knows I will be back to her store. It is that kind of service and friendship you are paying for when the prices are a little higher in a LDS.

Scubatoys

Do you choose not to carry Scuba Pro or does Scuba Pro choose not to allow you to carry their gear ? Same question for Halcyon.

scubatoys:
Not true for all on line stores. We are an authorized dealer for everything we sell, and there is no difference between buying the products on line - or in the store. ...Just wanted to point out not all online shops are the same. Some of us are authorized to sell, knowledgable about our products, and teach scuba as well as sell gear on line.

Thank you for your humours reply. You are the cross over (both online and store front) and not the pure online I was thinking of when I wrote my response. Yes, some stores, will, as you have find a way to be both authorized dealers, and to online business. The majority of the online stores that I am aware of are grey market stores offering no MFG warranty, but that is not true of all. But we do need the local LDS, and keep working on that online airfill.

RichLockyer:
I did, in the same message.

It is theft of the shopkeeper's time.

Sorry, being obtuse perhaps, but I'm unaware of "theft of a shopkeeper's time" as being a Jewish law.

Can you give me the source of this information?

Thanx,

ScubaCrossing:
Scubatoys

Do you choose not to carry Scuba Pro or does Scuba Pro choose not to allow you to carry their gear ? Same question for Halcyon.

Oh, we carry ScubaPro. In fact we are one of the largest ScubaPro dealers around. If you go to our Remote controlled Web Cam and click the "start control" button, you will see one of the drop down options below the cam is Scubapro. Clicking on that will turn the camera toward our dedicated ScubaPro section - complete with their logo etched into our floor, and racks and displays that they gave us to highlight their gear... so yes we carry ScubaPro.

ScubaPro just doesn't allow net sales - it voids the lifetime warranty - so we can't sell it on line.

We also sell Atomic - but can't advertise it, and we carry OMS, Dive Rite, plus other brands... but just never got around to putting them on the site. Halcyon is one brand we don't carry...

You know, going back and reading a few other posts on this thread, first I want to say thanks to all the folks who have said nice things about us. The other thing I want to share is, I personally don't think it's fair to try on stuff at a store, then buy elsewhere over a few bucks. I've had customers call me and say I've tried this mask and it fits really good - do you have one like it... and I'll tell them - if you know that one fits - you should probably get it there.

The other interesting note, is a vast majority of our customers, both on line and local, do not come to us based on price alone. I've got a good bunch of guys that know their stuff - and if they don't know something - they are smart enough to ask me - and if I don't know, I'll call the manufacturer. I've found the knowledge of the customers is normally very high - and trying to BS them with made up stats is useless. (39.6% of all statistics are made up on the spot. :wink: )

Most customers come in because they were ignored, lied to, told it would take 3 weeks to order this or that at some other local shop. But many times, the sale was there for another local shop if they just would have treated the customer right.

It was pretty funny when I was expanding into our new shop - I had a need for some more good employees, and one of my reps said he know some guys at other shops that might be interested in interviewing. He was hesisitant though and said, "what if they come over here for a week or so, and it doesn't work out - they could take your secrets back to another shop!"

That scared the daylights out of me! If other shops figured out you had to have good stock, be knowledgable about your products, sell the customer what they need instead of what you want so sell, and offer this all at a fair price... boy if some other shop got a hold of that trade secret... It could mean my downfall!

Luckily the guys I got are staying...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom