One Cam Band or Two

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Straegen

New Fish
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I am a rec diver exclusively and I have been diving my BPW which I setup with two cam bands not really putting much thought into it. I recently picked up a travel Zuma BCD for a trip and it has one band a strap that goes around the valve to cut the weight down. I really like the quicker setup, lighter weight and less fabric overall with the Zuma setup.

This is a very minor thing I know but just curious about others thoughts on the subject.

If the Zuma is designed to use one tank camband, then that's what I'd use. No big deal. For 50+ dives when I was first learning how to dive, all of the recreational jacket-style BCDs had one tank camband. With proper cinching technique, I never had an issue with the tank slipping out or the buckle failing.

I now use a BP/W with two cambands. As you know, the setup holds the tank more securely to the BP. [-]The crotchstrap anchors the BP to my back.[/-]

If given the preference between one or two cambands, I'd probably go with two. However, to minimize dry packing weight, I can see why using only one camband might seem to be an OK trade-off.

Last edited:
If the Zuma is designed to use one tank camband, then that's what I'd use. No big deal. For 50+ dives when I was first learning how to dive, all of the recreational jacket-style BCDs had one tank camband. With proper cinching technique, I never had an issue with the tank slipping out or the buckle failing.

I now use a BP/W with two cambands. As you know, the setup holds the tank more securely to the BP. The crotchstrap anchors the BP to my back.

If given the preference between one or two cambands, I'd probably go with two. However, to minimize dry packing weight, I can see why using only one camband might seem to be an OK trade-off.

my shoulder straps hold my BP/W to my back

Very nice. The strap was originally designed so the bc always hangs in the same position whilst you secure it to the tank. I wet my tank band first. I also place two rubber bands cut from pushbike tyre tubes around the excess strap to help prevent it from ripping open. Lots of rock shelf, rough diving, never had an issue. Soft pac is good.

my shoulder straps hold my BP/W to my back
Thanks for pointing that out. I made a mistake. I was referring to the difference between recreational jacket BCDs (which typically lack a crotchstrap) and a BP/W (which has a crotchstrap). Obviously, both BC designs use shoulder straps with some form of waist strap or cummerbund.

I hope that, in the past couple of hours since I made my post, I haven't inspired any divers to experiment diving a BP/W without shoulder straps and a waist strap. That wasn't my intention at all. :)

Last edited:
me too... you know how impressionable these newbies are... I'll bet knowone is rolling around the floor trying to get his crotch strap to secure his BP/W to his back by now :D

I am a rec diver exclusively and I have been diving my BPW which I setup with two cam bands not really putting much thought into it. I recently picked up a travel Zuma BCD for a trip and it has one band a strap that goes around the valve to cut the weight down. I really like the quicker setup, lighter weight and less fabric overall with the Zuma setup.

This is a very minor thing I know but just curious about others thoughts on the subject.

There are plenty of perfectly functional BS with only 1 cam band. Just make sure you get a good locking action when you mount the cylinder. My wife's old rig was a 1 bander and she never missed a beat.

The valve strap is usually more of a set-up guide though I never had much use for it. I suppose if set right it can also constrain the cylinder some. If it's bound to a sold pack element it won't matter much.

Pete

Very nice. The strap was originally designed so the bc always hangs in the same position whilst you secure it to the tank. I wet my tank band first. I also place two rubber bands cut from pushbike tyre tubes around the excess strap to help prevent it from ripping open. Lots of rock shelf, rough diving, never had an issue. Soft pac is good.

wheres your source for this tidbit

I prefer the two band system as I've seen tanks slip out with single bands. With single band you need to wet the band and tighten it really securely. There is also an Apollo clamp that claims to be more secure than the usual plastic cams.

With the double bands I don't bother wetting them and just keep them snug and the tank sits in solid.

The one draw back of the double bands is the occasional boat tank racks, where the lower band interferes with the rack.

Adam

Last edited:
The valve strap is usually more of a set-up guide though I never had much use for it. I suppose if set right it can also constrain the cylinder some. If it's bound to a sold pack element it won't matter much.
I figured the valve strap was there to keep the tank from slipping out in case the strap was loose. I would also keep the tank attached to the diver if the band itself broke. Granted it has limited usefulness beyond that but I can see why they put it on. I think I may try going down to one band for my rec diving. Don't really see the need for two after using just one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom