On rinsing regulators - split from Hey SCUBA gear heads - best regulator for under $1,000 = ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A friend (who's name is now cast into the shadows of SB) showed me a method using a drinking bottle with the squirt cap to flush a reg and tank valve after each dive. It works for me, but I generally don't use DIN.

A friend (who's name is now cast into the shadows of SB) showed me a method using a drinking bottle with the squirt cap to flush a reg and tank valve after each dive. It works for me, but I generally don't use DIN.
So, maybe as in taking the Din first stage off the tank. Holding it thread down & squirting with bottle with a downward squirt all around?

While I am asking, what's the deal with these protected first stages, that supposedly exist ... or not... I hear it both ways and that can just be dunked w/o cap (second stages out of water then) ... or, if you do, the world is coming to an end... heard that both ways too.
?
Edit:
I am asking because I distinctly remember when I bought my first first stage (an Apeks DST) the dealer was trying to tell me it can be dunked w/o anything (cap or valve) on the threads, but surely the manual mentions no such thing, just the regular ways (which I observe).

While I am asking, what's the deal with these protected first stages, that supposedly exist ... or not... I hear it both ways and that can just be dunked w/o cap (second stages out of water then) ... or, if you do, the world is coming to an end... heard that both ways too.
I have some Aqualung sets which have teh Auto Closure Device (ADC) that closes the 1st stage when you remove it from a cylinder. My regs get fully immersed overnight in my rinse bucket after diving (most weekends) and no damage. My repair centre would tell me at service time if there was any damage.

Regarding discoloration of the threads on a Din set. all mine have done so. any coating as new will wear with the constant screwing on an off. as long as teh Din screws in easily and the sealing face is clean then you should have no issues.

People do suggest you can clean the threads with vinegar, but you'd need to ensure none goes' in the 1st stage. I've never tried it, so can't recommend it.

Alec Peirce seems to not be worried about pushing the purge valve when soaking.

He's likely right in most cases. However, if the second stage is sitting above the first stage in the soak tank, some water could get in each time you purge - though you'd see some bubbles as the air moves out of the hose (and some water moves in). Unless you keep the purge button pressed continously, I'd guess you likely won't get much water in the hose. If you have access to a tank, it's still probably a good idea to blow the hoses out after soaking.

As Atomic 2nd stages are not fully closed when off a tank, I'll continue to play it safe and not soak the whole reg set unless it's on a tank. I just rinse with a hose/shower when I'm on a dive trip.

Last edited:
Soaking? What's soaking? I now omit the soak and just rinse, but I only dive freshwater at this time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom