Oly customer service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DrSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with Oly customer service? I emailed them about the um "design feature" of the C-5050 optical viewfinder 2 weeks ago. No response.

Now on our outbound flight for our Cozumel trip (pics to follow) the C-5050 selector dial broke off during transit (well packed in carry on - no reason for it to fail) so we had to hold it in place with a tooth pick for our dives which worked. Just wondering if we'll get anywhere with Oly with a warranty claim they could argue it was our fault. As a chemist I would say their production materials were not up to the job!

My experiences with the office here in Southern California has been all positive. In my case, I dropped the camera onto a concrete floor and broke off the mode dial. By cramming the pieces into the housing, I was able to still use the camera! Upon returning to the States, I took the camera in and paid for the repair (it was my fault and I never claimed otherwise). They quickly repaired the camera and sent it back to me within two weeks.

I later had some lens motor issues with the camera and they repaired it under warrantee with no questions asked. Again, a quick turn around on the repair.

I sent them an E-mail two weeks ago about an 99 error code and got a response within 48 hours.

Unfortunately they said to send it in but did include some phone numbers and instructions for shipping and proceedures.

So far I would say they were quick and responsive. I may change my mind after I send it in. They say their turn around time is about 10 days.

I have nothing but good to say about them at the moment. I bought a housing and camera from them in January and I still have not been able to use the camera under water due to problems with the housing. I am on my third housing and all the time Olympus have been nothing but good about it, taking it back, testing it and replacing it FOC plus I have managed to acquire O-ring grease, silica sachets and various other bits for three housings because they only ever want the housing itself back. They have never been rude or condescending towards me when I have rung, something I am finding increasingly common with big companies. In fact at one point the guy I spoke said well you're the diver, you know better than me how to look after things in the water before taking the housing back and testing it. :)

I've heard nothing but good things from the Oly center in California. I sent my C-5050 in when we returned from Roatan in April, a couple of the buttons weren't working right. I had good responses from emails and through the Oly website. I had it back with the prescribed 10-15 working days after they got it. Mine was warranty work but the repair fees are reasonable.

On the other hand, I've heard of nothing but problems about the repair center in the East...New York? So be careful where you send it.

I am pretty happy with the support that I got from Olympus when I flooded my camera.
I doubt that they will say that the warranty will cover the damage that, as you say, happend in transit. But I'm sure your camera insurance would cover it.
I had just mailed them my housing that was cracked. In my eyes it was a material/production error...they say no and I have to pay $91 to exchange the housing...not totally happy, but a fair deal.
You can allso call their tech. support at 1-800-622-6372,

I live in this address pretty much all my life, just discovered recently that the Olympus service center is only a few blocks from my home. I received my housing just a few weeks ago along with my new C5050, dived a few times since but did not want to use my camera for this dirty water here in the coastal of southern Cal. I noticed there is a straight thin line on my new housing right on the side by the lens, not sure you call it the mold line, scratch line, or maybe even a crack, hopefully not in this case, since the service center is so close to me I think I'll let them check it out first to be sure it's ok to use it uw.

Tommer

I bought a 5060 over here at the end of January . I have had endless problems with the mode dial not working and the menus and short cut buttons freezing . I have only managed to get the camera underwater twice so far . Olympus have replaced my camera four times already , and the last one played up over the weekwend .....so it's off to Olympus again . I have read elsewhere that this is a known problem with the 5060 . Better luck this time !! At least our local agents are playing the game .

Andrew

now that's a pain in the neck! Sorry that you're having so much trouble.
Aloha
Lisa

That's a bummer, Andy! I haven't heard of those problems with the 5060, thanks for the heads up.

Back
Top Bottom