Old tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom2004

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I was given a steel tank yesterday, and I checked out the bottle and its last visual test was done on Novemeber of 1989. The tank itself looks good, but can it still be used today? How much does a hydro test cost?

Hydro and vis are likely to be $30 give or take $5. I would definetely get it tested. What are the cylnder numbers? Knowing that may get you some more secific advice.

Pete

PS: Adding some detail to your profle never hurts.

I know my LDS will not hydro tanks that were manufactured in 1988 or older. No matter when the last hydro was. MIght be a good idea to give your LDS a call.

texgal@heart:
I know my LDS will not hydro tanks that were manufactured in 1988 or older. No matter when the last hydro was. MIght be a good idea to give your LDS a call.

you need to find a different dive shop.

the only real problematic tanks from that era are the alum. steels from the 50's are still passing hydros and being used by some.

texgal@heart:

Yeah.. I'd get a new LDS. There is nothing wrong with those tanks if properly inspected.

The Department Of Transportation has just released "new guidance" on the tanks you're talking about. Which incidentally are aluminum tanks made of AL 6351 alloy most likely and not steel like the original poster is talking about.

You will have a problem getting that tank filled regardless of last visual/hydro. Many, many dive shops will not fill tanks manufactered in 1989 or prior.
A waste of money getting a hydro & visual.

tom2004:
I was given a steel tank yesterday, and I checked out the bottle and its last visual test was done on Novemeber of 1989. The tank itself looks good, but can it still be used today? How much does a hydro test cost?

Have your local LDS check the cylinder for you,,,,,should be fine if during their cursiary inspection it is ok,,,have them send it off for hydro, and assuming it passes that....the LDS will do a final full VIP to ensure its safety after the hydro. Many many 'older' steel cylinders used everyday. I have a 1972 steel 72cf in service fully tested and O2 cleaned as a stage bottle.

he said the tank was steel,nothing to do with the alum. problems,that said i have a steel 72 from 1966 and 1973 still going strong,should not be a problem getting inspected as long as it was taken care of,if it has a boot on it,pull it off and check for rust under it,might as well pull the valve and check the inside before taking it to get inspected.

according to "DIVER" magazine out of canada, 6 or so shops in ontario will not fill or vip luxfer tanks made between 72 and 88, the reason for the ban is because of substainable load cracks caused by the alluminum alloy 6351 the tanks were made from. 1,073,000 tanks were cast from this alloy but 1.25 percent of tanks have been affected by (SLC)

Back
Top Bottom