Tanks: How old is too old?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteffenS

New
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I saw a set of steel tanks manufactured in 1969 that were being offered for sale, and it got me wondering: How old is too old for scuba tanks (assuming they are hydro'd and visually inspected as required)? I'm someone who maintains and repairs my gear until it can't be maintained/repaired any more, including a set of HP doubles that are approaching their fourth hydro. Just wondering if anyone has a rule of thumb (or a more learned approach) to determining when a tank is too old to be safely used.

So long as they pass a hydrostatic test age is irrelevant.

Steel tanks are theoretically immortal if treated well. One of the shops I deal with has bank tanks from the 1920s in use. Aluminum tanks are a different story. Some shops wont fill aluminum tanks older than 20 years no matter the alloy used. Most people here will buy old steel lp72s from the 60s all day for a good price ($50-100 depending if in hydro).

And pass VIP. No significant rust, pits, thread damage and tank not gouged, bent or bowed.

Be aware that some really old steel tanks may require unusual valve thread sizes that may be harder to find if you need to replace a valve.

My oldest steel 72 is a '59. Always passes hydro and viz

My oldest steel 72 is a '59. Always passes hydro and viz
Wow,, Does the tank shoulder show those dozen or so hydro stamp markings?
If yes, Got a picture/vid you can post? Would be pretty cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom