Unknown Oklahoma couple missing - Matagorda, Texas

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divers get lost everywhere. What's your difference?

I fail to see how a private charter in this scenario would have turned out any differently. The divers weren't forgotten. The boat couldn't find them because of distance and bad weather.
There are exceptional boat crews out there that will always find you but, there aren't many, most are just average. I tested many until I found a solid crew. One time we drifted 1.4 miles from our starting point, and they found us. A different time and a different crew, I found myself swimming back, so I have a little experience lol.

It's today, their birthday...
000.jpeg

So according to their FB, they both had a Nautilus PLB.

Wow, the one time you need something extremely crucial to work, and it won’t work.

I might throw mine away and get a Garmin GPS with the diving case on it.
I think the range on the Nautilus is not even close to advertised except under perfect conditions. I was reading about this many years ago when looking for a PLB. I ended up buying the Garmin In Reach. My concern with the Garmin is that the waterproof claims are not very good at all. Better hope the housing you buy for it separately does not fail.

I think the range on the Nautilus is not even close to advertised except under perfect conditions. I was reading about this many years ago when looking for a PLB. I ended up buying the Garmin In Reach. My concern with the Garmin is that the waterproof claims are not very good at all. Better hope the housing you buy for it separately does not fail.
They were within view of the boat when they surfaced, so if they actually had a Nautilus, they'd have been within range. The Nautilus website describes typical use within 5 miles. I don't think they had one.

Why were they not picked up by the Fling's annex boat? Surely in open ocean conditions all liveaboards deploy a boat (such as an inflatable) for picking up those divers who are unable to make it back to the main vessel? If they were swept away, the crew in the annex boat would have picked them up before they went very far?
I was a full-time diving journalist for more than 25 years doing a dive trip every month (sometimes two). I've never been on a liveaboard without a using pick up boat unless in very benign sea conditions such as moored in a lagoon. ... and what happens if the vessel catches fire or sinks? It happens. More than 24 times in the last decade.

If you were witness to what happened and not subject to an NDA, I would like to hear from you.

Attachments

• MV. Fling.jpg
    MV. Fling.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom