Search for four missing Divers off coast of North Carolina

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WoW, I guess they added up to over 18

Fortunately for all the story had a happy ending.

What sort of strobe are you all carrying?

This kind:

IMG_9095.jpeg

With strap to strap around the top of SMB:

IMG_9093.jpeg

IMG_9094.jpeg

So, I live near these divers. Word is that there were two people left on board the boat, ages 8 and 11. This may explain the inconsistencies in the story. One of the divers is a prominent surgeon who would be embarrassed (you would hope) if that information was made public.
First, I have no reason to doubt your statement, but I also have no reason to believe it.

If this is true, it would explain something about this story that didn’t make sense to me. I just couldn’t understand how the divers ended up drifting if they surfaced as close to the boat as was stated. It should be simple to use a whistle or something to get the attention of the operator on the boat to come get you. However, it makes sense that 8 and 11 year olds may not be able to unhook, start engines and head over to them. Some kids that age could, but probably not most.

@danpass. I would like to hear what more knowledgeable people think about taking a vacuum packed ACR PLB to depth. I have an ACR View in a 300' rated dive canister, and an Inreach Mini, also in a dive rated housing. Perhaps there is some trustworthy and validated research on the subject of vacuum bags instead of canisters, and perhaps we have all been wasting money on expensive dive canisters--but I doubt it.

I put my PLB1 in a waterproof iPhone pouch. At 104’ depth, the crushing pressure turned on the PLB1 (red button lit up).

IMG_9081.jpeg

So I ended up putting it in a had case.

IMG_9707.jpeg

@danpass. I would like to hear what more knowledgeable people think about taking a vacuum packed ACR PLB to depth. I have an ACR View in a 300' rated dive canister, and an Inreach Mini, also in a dive rated housing. Perhaps there is some trustworthy and validated research on the subject of vacuum bags instead of canisters, and perhaps we have all been wasting money on expensive dive canisters--but I doubt it.
Remember that if the housing will break under pressure, it will still break in a bag.

Back
Top Bottom