Unknown Oklahoma couple missing - Matagorda, Texas

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was told by someone on the boat at the time that it came out of nowhere and blindsided everyone. They were recalled and the only criticism they leveled was it took too long for all the divers to get out of the water. Which... not sure if that falls on the boat or divers or what.

I have never been on that trip nor am I the expert for swells or weather nor do I run dive operations, but that is what the reputable observer told me.

Squalls can come up quickly, no doubt. The boat crew must have been hustling, trying to get everyone back. Tough day for all involved.

I have never been on that trip
I went on one when Wookie was running trips on one of the boats, I don't remember which, and there was one dive when my buddy and I had to be picked up by the runabout to get back to the boat, and that was in good weather. In a surprise storm, we'd never have made it.

There was a discussion in the video I think about him fetching another diver who had lost her grip on the ascent line, he went to help her back to the line but he didn't get to the line and I guess that his wife stayed with him and both got swept from the line. See ROUS's post #43.

Squalls can come up quickly, no doubt. The boat crew must have been hustling, trying to get everyone back. Tough day for all involved.
I will say, being in DFW and knowing lots of people who dive on the fling, and have trips planned before the end of the season, it is slightly strange that the Fling (who are always quite active with statements regarding operations etc) have been totally silent about this.

I mean, I'd guess it could be for liability... when something like this happens, silence is often best until everything is sorted but... but still, it's been silence and just second hand speculation in my community about it which is also not good.

Not sure if it is true, but in the movie open water, the two divers drifted apart from each other while they fell asleep. It would seem that would be a definite possibility, particularly after 38 hours.

I always carry a jon line with boltsnaps. It is useful for many things. However, conventional gauge consoles frequently have boltsnaps for securing and streamlining. Two of those could be snapped together to keep the divers attached.

I dive in Raja Ampat & Komodo that have lots of currents. So, I carry reef hook that can be used for attaching my dive buddy with me.

IMG_2949.jpeg

IMG_2950.jpeg

Watching the boat go out of sight must have been agonizing, then a speck in the ocean, then to be found in the dark! The Coast Guard, the best and only thing between here and gone.

Time to add an SOS flashlight to your must have list, Don.

Time to add an SOS flashlight to your must have list, Don.
My PLB has a builtin strobe.

I can confirm, they were on the Fling.
How was this confirmed? It seems pretty quiet out there on the information front. I haven't seen any info published about who they were diving with.

The New York Times has an article but I don't have a subscription. Perhaps you can read it, as I did above the request for subscription. Unfortunately l, it doesn't tell too much about their ordeal. It's mostly about a sandwich:

The New York Times has an article but I don't have a subscription. Perhaps you can read it, as I did above the request for subscription. Unfortunately l, it doesn't tell too much about their ordeal. It's mostly about a sandwich:

Unfortunately, the only reference to who they were diving with in that article is "the people on the boat...".

The article reads more like an ad for Kenny and Ziggy's rather than any kind of investigative reporting. All the articles I have read have no mention of which company or vessel was involved. Journalism isn't what it used to be. Hitting Ctrl+A right after you click the link and before the page opens completely will often bypass the popup overlay on news sites.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom