Coasties medevac diver 100 miles out - Galveston, Texas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
GALVESTON, Texas – The Coast Guard flew a diver who was showing signs of decompression sickness to a Houston hospital Saturday.

The Coast Guard said the 29-year-old man became ill while diving approximately 100 miles south of Galveston.

Coast Guard District 8 watchstanders received a cell phone call at 9:30 a.m. from the captain of a dive boat stating the man was showing signs of decompression sickness. Watchstanders spoke with the duty flight surgeon, who recommended a medevac.

The Coast Guard said an MH-65 Dolphin helicopter crew from Coast Guard Air Station Houston diverted from training. An already airborne HC-144 Ocean Sentry airplane crew from Coast Guard Air Station Corpus Christi also flew to assist.

The helicopter arrived at 11:20 a.m. and hoisted the man and took him to Memorial Hermann -Texas Medical Center in Houston. He was last reported to be in stable condition.

From the comments on that page:

RambeauxAUGUST 7, 2023
Reply to See2 Fugitive - view message
You are correct on location. Flower Garden East bank to be specific. I was there. In the video you can see me crouching down is the yellow shirt at the top of the pic by the stair hole. This was Almost a Drowning as he was out of air. Br…. Turned 30 years old the next day after this medvac. Thanks to the Crew and medically trained as they did a fantastic job on making sure Br…. could see that next Bday. Happy BDay Br….

From the comments on that page:
Bravo Zulu to all who responded and saved this diver out at the Flower Gardens.

With all the (awful and depressing, but important) news about the Conception tragedy trial out in California, it’s gratifying to read about a quick and effective rescue where things went “right”.

This was Almost a Drowning as he was out of air.
It sounds like an OOA incident led to a CESA which caused the DC. Carrying my pony and extra reg on trips has always been a pain, but worth it I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom