Coast Guard medevacs diver showing signs of decompression sickness from boat 100 miles off Galveston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is why we were so adamant that people not run out of air or break the recreational depth limit. I personally don't want to limit peoples diving, but it just isn't fair to the other folks on the boat who paid good money to be there as well.

We were called the nanny boat for it. I didn't much care.
People aren't used to the reality of being 100 miles from help. I appreciate the safety stance of the the Fling and I am sure that when Wookie ran the Spree in the FGBNMS he was even safer (based on the one trip I made on the Spree in FL).
A hundred miles from help is a long way...

That's one of the things that strikes you out at Cocos Island. Not as good place to have an MI.

There was a medical with a heli evac on my Fling trip back in 2017, happened on our 2nd to last dive. Everyone handled everything as well as I would have hoped for for myself had it happened to me instead. Still not 100% sure what his root cause was but the diver ultimately survived which is what matters most. I still have iPhone videos of the heli lifting/taking him away by basket (ship and heli never slowed down/did everything in unison), a group of Heros for sure.

It is why we were so adamant that people not run out of air or break the recreational depth limit. I personally don't want to limit peoples diving, but it just isn't fair to the other folks on the boat who paid good money to be there as well.

We were called the nanny boat for it. I didn't much care.
I always say, if you're gonna do something stupid, make sure it only affects you. That's pretty much impossible with diving. Someone will have to give up their time and energy to help and save you, which sure, maybe they're willing do to it 100%. Why should someone put them in that position though?
What if it results in death? Even if nobody knows where exactly the person is, their family may report them missing, and rescue divers will have to go down and search. (assuming there was a suspicion they dove in the area)
But imagine a diver finding a body. Like, no, don't subject others to your stupidity. (I'm using "you" as a general term, not referring to you specifically:) )

I always say, if you're gonna do something stupid, make sure it only affects you. That's pretty much impossible with diving. Someone will have to give up their time and energy to help and save you, which sure, maybe they're willing do to it 100%. Why should someone put them in that position though?
What if it results in death? Even if nobody knows where exactly the person is, their family may report them missing, and rescue divers will have to go down and search. (assuming there was a suspicion they dove in the area)
But imagine a diver finding a body. Like, no, don't subject others to your stupidity. (I'm using "you" as a general term, not referring to you specifically:) )
Most divers make it to the surface as they die in my experience.

They sometimes sink.

YMMV in caves.

Most divers make it to the surface as they die in my experience.

They sometimes sink.

YMMV in caves.
the cave stories break my heart. many of what I've read/listened to, their bodies are never found. the families never see their loved ones for one last time. and the worst part, to me, is when they're diving with a group, and there are a few divers who lived. they've went back down to try and find their friend's body, only to never surface themselves. too many needless deaths

The story I heard third or fourth hand was that this incident started with a buddy team getting separated. One buddy looked for his partner for a minute or two, then surfaced. The other buddy stayed down and kept looking until he ran OOA.

The story I heard third or fourth hand was that this incident started with a buddy team getting separated. One buddy looked for his partner for a minute or two, then surfaced. The other buddy stayed down and kept looking until he ran OOA.
Ugh..

Post deleted

Post deleted
Oh, why? Or was this moderator action?
I was just going to respond that I’m glad the stories aren’t accurate. I think a good amount of them are likely old. (Read the post earlier this morning but didn’t comment)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom